'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
For Those With Daughters

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-02-10 12:48 AM
16 replies, 7541 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-02-04 11:34 AM (#76036)
Subject: For Those With Daughters

Expert

Thought this might be interesting..........

My daughter turned sixteen years old today;
which is a milestone for most people. Besides looking at baby photos
and childhood trinkets with her, I took time to reflect on the young
woman my daughter had become and the choices she
would face in the future. As I looked at her I could see the athlete
she was, and determined woman she would soon be. I started
thinking about some the girls we knew in our town who
were already pregnant, pierced in several places, hair every color
under the sun, drop outs, drug addicts and on the fast track to no
where, seeking surface identities because they had no
inner self esteem. The parents of these same girls have asked me why I
waste the money on horses so my daughter can ride. I'm told she will
grow out of it, lose interest,
discover boys and all kinds of things that try to pin the current
generation's slacker label on my child. I don't think it will happen, I
think she will love and have horses all her life. ..........     Because my daughter grew up with horses she has
compassion. She knows that we must take special care of the very young
and the very old. We must make sure those
without voices to speak of their pain are still cared for.
Because my daughter grew up with horses she learned responsibility for
others than herself. She learned that regardless of
the weather you must still care for those you have the stewardship of.
There are no days off just because you don't feel like being a horse
owner that day. She learned that for
every hour of fun you have there are days of hard slogging work you
must do first. Because my daughter grew up with horses she learned
not to be afraid of getting dirty and that
appearances don't matter to most of the breathing things in the world
we live in. Horses do not care about designer clothes, jewelry, pretty
hairdos or anything else we put on our bodies
to try to impress others. What a horse cares about are your abilities
to work within his natural world, he doesn't care if you're wearing
$80.00 jeans while you do it. Because my
daughter grew up with horses she learned about sex and how it can both
enrich and complicate lives. She learned that it only takes one time to
produce a baby, and the only way to ensure
babies aren't produced is not to breed. She learned how babies are
planned, made, born and, sadly, sometimes die before reaching their
potential. She learned how sleepless nights and trying
to outsmart a crafty old broodmare could result in getting to see, as
non-horse owning people rarely do, the birth of a true miracle.
Because my daughter grew up with horses she
understands the value of money. Every dollar can be translated into
bales of hay, bags of feed or farrier visits. Purchasing
non-necessities during lean times can mean the difference
between feed and good care, or neglect and starvation. She has learned
to judge the level of her care against the care she sees provided by
others and to make sure her standards never
lower, and only increase as her knowledge grows. Because my daughter
grew up with horses she has learned to learn on her own. She has had
teachers that cannot speak, nor write, nor
communicate beyond body language and reactions. She has had to learn to
read her surroundings for both safe and unsafe objects, to look for
hazards where others might only see a
pretty meadow. She has learned to judge people as she judges horses.
She looks beyond appearances and trappings to see what is within.
Because my daughter grew up with horses she has
learned sportsmanship to a high degree. Everyone that competes fairly
is a winner. Trophies and ribbons may prove someone a winner, but they
do not prove someone is a horseman. She has
also learned that some people will do anything to win, regardless of
who it hurts. She knows that those who will cheat in the show ring will
also cheat in every other aspect of their life
and are not to be trusted. Because my daughter grew up with horses
she has self-esteem and an engaging personality. She can talk to anyone
she meets with confidence, because she has
to express herself to her horse with more than words. She knows the
satisfaction of controlling and teaching a 1000 pound animal that will
yield willingly to her gentle touch and ignore
the more forceful and inept handling of those stronger than she is. She
holds herself with poise and professionalism in the company of those
far older than herself. Because my
daughter grew up with horses she has learned to plan ahead. She knows
that choices made today can effect what happens five years down the
road. She knows that you cannot care for and
protect you investments without savings to fall back on. She knows the
value of land and buildings. And that caring for you vehicle can mean
the difference between easy travel or being
stranded on the side of the road with a four horse trailer on a hot
day. When I look at what she has learned and what it will help her
become, I can honestly say that I haven't
wasted a penny on providing her with horses. I only wish that all
children had the same opportunities to learn these lessons from horses
before setting out on the road to
adulthood.

written by Tracy Meisenbach of Trinity Appaloosas in Brookneal, VA

BOL  Gard

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-02-04 4:56 PM (#76060 - in reply to #76036)
Subject: RE: For Those With Daughters

Expert

Good one gard!

I wish my daughters had learned all that.  In my case, they seem'd to have figured out to have dad do all the work and they enjoy the fun.

But it gives me some good ideas of object lesson to try and teach them, at least the younger ones. I have 5 daughters, 3 still at home who will go for a ride with me. They are all game for a good ride. In fact my wife won't come with us, because she says we don't now how to do a short ride.

My 18 year old daughter enjoys taking boyfriends for horse rides. Where she feels in total control of her horse and they are terrified of theirs.

Cantering over the ridge top at 11,000 foot.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-02-05 9:33 AM (#76114 - in reply to #76036)

Expert

You have beautiful daughters, beautiful horses and a beautiful state. With five daughters, I would not be able to take enough aspirin at one time to cure my ills. One was my limit. You must be an exceptional person to have done so well.

Horses can be an intimidating factor for an unwary suitor.

BOL  Gard

Frankie001%
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2008-02-05 10:15 AM (#76118 - in reply to #76036)

Veteran

Lived in a urban area so there were dogs, cats, a snake, and a frog. My family learned about which ones need their freedom just to stay alive - the frog and snake.  Which ones to keep and how to take care of them - Had a baby duck - neighbors bought and then they did not want - so they asked my daughter if she wanted it and she said "Yes."  The Human Society helped us find a super home for the duck - we felt that it needed a home where it could be with other ducks.  That was a experience.  8-)   We almost lost our dog - she having problems with the birth.  The vet was great but we lost three puppies but cherished the one that did live.  We just lost our main cat - she was old but very muched loved - we all said "Good By" before she had to be put to sleep.   I agree with Garb - without animals in our family we would not have the compassion, respect and values.  I have three daughters and one son - there were times I felt I lived with Elly May Clampet. 

olabola!
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-02-05 10:44 PM (#76162 - in reply to #76036)

My daughter JUST turned 18. We live in rural Oregon. She's been riding since she was 7 years old but has been horse crazy all her life. She saved up to buy her first pony and the 2 horses that followed. She got herself a job on a well known cutting horse ranch in our area and knows exactly what she wants to do after she graduates from High school (train horses) and plans to apprentice under a cutting horse trainer she met through her employer. Before that, she gave horseback riding lessons in our arena after school and on weekends. She gets herself up at 4:30 or 5 a.m. every school morning so she can take care of her horses before school. I see her briefly at dinnertime than she disappears down to the barn to "work her horses" and clean stalls. She accepts people as they are, not caring if they are in a "popular" crowd or not. She is funny, intelligent and has many friends, male and female, from all walks of life. I'm not sure how much she learned from her horses and what they have taught her about life, but I do know she is a fine young lady who is tolerant of others, has never smoked or taken drugs, and is so responsible and mature for her age. I've always supported her interest in horses and I can see she is determined to make it in the horse world. She is not afraid of challenges and is not easily deterred from her goals. I never thought about it before because it seems like the horses have always been a part of our lives, but she MAY have turned out differently if it wasn't for them......
gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2008-02-06 4:39 PM (#76239 - in reply to #76036)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks Gard. Very thought provoking...My daughter isn't nearly as "horse crazy" as I am, but she sees how I am with them(and she helps out) and my hope is that she'll learn by example. I have 2 sisters and 2 brothers. All 4 of them got into "trouble"...pregnant, drugs, alcohol, police.....Luckily I had my horse and was able to avoid all that bother! I'm so glad. I wonder what the cost breakdown would be of having a horse vs. rehab, lawyers, and doctor bills? My guess would be that the cost of the horse would come out far, far less.
gerilynn
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-02-06 7:03 PM (#76255 - in reply to #76036)

I have 2!!! 5 & 7 yr. olds.  They have rode since they could sit up.  They both love horses and more than anything I love raising them in the country.  They can play in the dirt, ditch, sawdust, barn and play toy horses all day.  I love Guards article.  I write articles in the local newspaper about country kids, horse training articles, and I use my girls in the photos.  "how bout them cowgirls" is a great song that refers to the good heartedness of a cowgirl.  My goal is that they love the outdoors, learn how to care for their animals and things, tuffin up, have responsibilities and be accountable for their actions.  Theyve been in the parade 3 times and won first place every year.........the experience has been great.  They are learning to train a colt!  And doing great!

Life in the country is a good thing! 

There is something special in a horse that does something magical in the heart of a girl!

They will be showing their 3yr. old this year.........anyone have "Show shirts" your girls grew out of?

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-02-07 5:34 PM (#76349 - in reply to #76255)

Expert

Don't forget to have them HPV vaccinated!  Gardasil is a gift you can give your daughters...the gift of being cancer free!
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-02-07 7:54 PM (#76353 - in reply to #76349)

Expert

the gift of being cancer free

It's the CHANCE of being cancer free.  Garddasil is a great start (depending on the side effects) but it only protects against one type of HPV that MAY cause cancer.  I still have a few years to go before we get that age so I'm waiting on more research.

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-02-07 9:40 PM (#76362 - in reply to #76353)

Expert

Terri, you really should research this...by your own statements you aren't well informed as to what the vaccine is and can do for your daughter.

GARDASIL is the only vaccine that may help guard against diseases that are caused by human papillomavirus (HPV) Types 6, 11, 16, and 18:
Cervical cancer
Cervical abnormalities that can sometimes lead to cervical cancer
Genital warts
HPV Types 16 and 18 cause 70% of cervical cancer cases, and HPV Types 6 and 11 cause 90% of genital warts cases.

The "chance" you are referring to is a 70% chance.  I mean a vaccine that stops 70% of cancer, it's a no-brainer.

Men spread HPV.  The Merck representative that took my husband and I out to our last "drug dinner" stated that men could get the vaccine too.  Thinking is since men don't come down with cervical cancer it's really the woman's problem...thus they market the vaccine to young women.

Even if you have HPV you can still get vaccinated...

http://www.gardasil.com/

freeindeed
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2008-02-08 9:06 PM (#76439 - in reply to #76036)

Back to the topic of what horses teach our daughters (and sons)-I like to think that having learned to navigate the warm up rings at shows will positively contribute to future driving skills. Getting cut off in the show ring is kind of similar to getting cut off on the interstate, although not (quite! :) )as potentially deadly. Helps reaction times and "planning ahead" skills. Of course the horse has his own eyes to help avoid collisions, too. As for the Gardasil topic-I am inclined to wait to see what long term effects might come from that one. Hopefully only good ones.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-02-08 9:44 PM (#76441 - in reply to #76362)

Expert

Actually I have been reading on it.  There isn't enough known about the long term effects to suite me.  What you posted came off of the gardasil website but they don't tell you anything about the side effects except for the usual swelling, itching, etc. So I looked them up myself.   I googled gardasil side effects and this is some of what came up.

http://www.oprah.com/health/yourbody/slide/20080117/slide_yourbody_northrup_103.jhtml

http://au.todaytonight.yahoo.com/article/43654/health/gardasil-effects-controversy

http://www.womentowomen.com/sexualityandfertility/gardasil-landing.aspx

http://www.advancedhealthplan.com/TMIW_cancer_vaccination.html

Edited by Terri 2008-02-08 10:13 PM
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-02-08 10:52 PM (#76447 - in reply to #76441)

Expert

I didn't read anything that would keep me from having any daughters I might have protected.

I have been personally affected by HPV and by the grace of God I found a GYN that informed me of the effects and surgically corrected the problem.  Scariest part of the whole thing was waiting to see if I was sterile...if this "little" virus had taken something from not only me and my future husband but my mother, the chance of a grandchild.

Thankfully my husband (physician) has made it a personal goal to educate all his patients and their mothers about their choice regarding this vaccine.  He hasn't seen or had reports of adverse reactions from any source to date.

We plan on having our son vaccinated, thankfully we did our chance at children.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-02-08 11:57 PM (#76451 - in reply to #76447)

Expert

Scariest part of the whole thing was waiting to see if I was sterile...if this "little" virus had taken something from not only me and my future husband but my mother, the chance of a grandchild.

Even if the possible, less talked about side effects don't bother you, there hasn't been enough testing done to show if the drug affects the fertility of all the young girls being vaccinated.  Even if it does cause sterrility, that isn't my biggest concern, what about the long term health affects?  They don't even know how long the vaccine will last or how many or how often boosters will be required yet.  It also says on the Guardasil web site that it is safe for breast feeding mothers but then goes on to say later that it hasn't been tested to see if it is secreted in breast milk.  How is that safe?     There are just to many unknowns for me to treat my 10 yr old for STD's. 

I think at this time it is a better option to continue to teach her about the dangers of sex.  Even if she doesn't end up with a virus, she could end up with her own child to worry about. 

stablemom
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-02-09 10:00 AM (#76471 - in reply to #76036)

Veteran

I am with you Terri and applaud your decison to wait and see. How many drugs have come out and seemed to be the answer to one thing or another and then have been recalled for the bad effects that they have had years later. My daughter is 22 yrs old and has not and will not have this vaccine. She is a virgin and her boyfriend of almost 4 years is, as well . They plan to marry after she finishes 2 years of grad school, so if all goes as planned she will have no need to ever consider this vaccine. Yes, I am very proud of her and I know this is a rarity in our society, but even if this were not the situation, I would still be skeptical of a new drug until it has proven itself and that takes time (years).
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-02-09 11:30 AM (#76482 - in reply to #76471)

Expert

What is most worrysome right now is that some states are trying to require all girls to be vaccinated.  In Tx starting this year it will be required for all girls starting 6th grade.  If NM tries it we will start home schooling if they won't let you opt out.  If I'm remembering right the FDA website said the trials were only 5yrs old.  That isn't nearly long enought to know the long term effects, especially for the youngest testees.  It's not a disease that's contagious with normal school environment contact.  It's not like the diseases you can get just by sitting in the same room with someone. 

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-02-10 12:48 AM (#76509 - in reply to #76471)

Expert

stablemom, I understand about your virgin daughter...my life plan was very similar, let's just say that you don't always get to plan your first sexual encounter as was my case.  I did regain my power 5 years later by sending a man I met at college off with four broken teeth, needless to say the date didn't end the way he wanted/planned.  Both experiences changed the girl I was and defined the woman I found inside.

The vaccine lasts for 5 years per Terri's own web sites listed and then boosters will be needed.

Vaccines have been shown over time to be very safe, a good vaccine program can exterminate a disease.

I wonder how the population will react to OU's newest cancer vaccine upon it's release.  You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink...I wish your daughters the best in health and safety.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)