'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Elastromeric roof coatings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-11-08 8:49 AM
5 replies, 4703 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-11-04 3:39 PM (#70461)
Subject: Elastromeric roof coatings

Expert

Recently I have been in discussion with several manufacturers of roof coatings and contractors to have our metal arena roof resurfaced. It occured to me that these industrial products might be applicable to coating trailer roofs. They are totally waterproof, fairly easy to apply, color fast and very durable.

My only concern is will they stay on a trailer at 70 mph?

In the past I have used rubber based sealants (not elastromeric) on my truck campers with poor results. The elastromeric products I've recently seen advertised for campers is a single part coating. The industrial coatings are a three step process; sealant, primer and final coating.

Has anyone ever tried these products? Any ideas? The manufacturers are hard pressed to offer any assistance, stating that they have never had their products considered for this application and they haven't done any testing for trailering conditions. As an aside, they offered that they would guarantee their coating would be on the roofing when it left the building..........

Thanks    Gard

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Clover1
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-11-04 5:04 PM (#70463 - in reply to #70461)
Subject: RE: Elastromeric roof coatings

I used a 3 part system on my aluminum trailer roof.  The products were from Hy-Tech Thermal Solutions.  I applied the "Bond-It" first, then 2 coats of "Bus Kote," followed by "Elasto-Seal."  I'm sure you already realize this since you have done some reseach, but just make sure the surface is very clean before you begin your application.  Also, the Bond-It is extemely adhesive (I'm sure it took a layer of skin off my knees when painting on the Bus Kote)!  There are guidelines about outside temp and drying time.  The products come with instructions and you can call and speak with a rep if you need to as well.  I am very pleased with the results.  Since we are in th Texas Gulf coast area, I wanted to lower the inside temp for the hot summers.   I've included the link to the Bus Kote page.  ~ Good Luck

http://www.hytechsales.com/prod2150.html

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-11-05 8:17 AM (#70498 - in reply to #70461)

Expert

Hey Clovergirl, thank you for your link to Hy-tech. Their advertisement sounds like the ideal product for my needs. Have you had your roofing installed for any length of time? It sounds as if you can apply an additional clear coating as needed in the future to compensate for wear. Did it do what you wanted; lower your roofing temps? My main concerns are weatherability and uv protection.

Thank you again for sharing your valuable experience.

BOL  Grad

Clover1
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-11-07 7:50 PM (#70649 - in reply to #70498)

I painted the roof in the early summer (June, I think).  I'm sure you could add additional Elasto-Seal coatings as you see fit.  I only added one coat originally.  But, if I see the top coat showing wear, I will add another one (I haven't seen any yet).  I didn't do an actual temperature comparison, but you could definately tell a big difference.  The horse area was already extra tall and insulated to boot.  But even at that, I could tell.  The most obvious difference was in the dressing area (not insulated).  

I'm very pleased with the results.  It was a little work, but well worth the effort!

Now I'm going to work on putting the Rhino on the floor - based on a recommendation of course.

terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-11-08 8:35 AM (#70671 - in reply to #70461)

Elite Veteran

I used the HyTech about a year ago on the inside of my dressing room and horse area too. Haven't really used the trailer at the right times since, to determine how well it worked, but I don't have condensation any more like I did. I thought it felt cooler but it wasn't as hot a night as I have spent in the past, so maybe not a definitive test. But...would do it again. Certainly brightened things up inside too!
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-11-08 8:49 AM (#70679 - in reply to #70461)

Expert

Never thought about using it as an insulator on the inside.... good idea.

Thanks to you both for the input. Since we had our first snow during the last few days, I think this project will become a Spring project unless we get some more Indian Summer.

BOL  Gard

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)