'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Acid wash/brighteners

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-08-28 10:17 PM
16 replies, 8906 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-08-19 2:11 PM (#66116)
Subject: Acid wash/brighteners

Expert

I know this has been covered before but I don't remember this specifically.

How do you prevent acid wash/aluminum brighteners from streaking/spotting the finish on an all aluminum (bright or mill ) finish when applying it?

I have one of the EQ Solutions Wash containers that looks like a lawn sprayer.Seems like it sprays the foam out even tho it is mixing with water and causes spots and streaks on the aluminum surfaces almost immediately after spraying.Should I just apply it with a RV type brush straight out of a bucket mixed with water instead?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gcldixiegirl
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-08-20 2:03 PM (#66159 - in reply to #66116)
Subject: RE: Acid wash/brighteners

Hi- It helps if you will wet down any aluminum that is close by the area you are using the acid on before you apply the acid.  This helps dilute any that gets onto the aluminum during application.  We always use a brush instead of a sprayer which also helps curb overspray.  The be sure when  you are washing off the acid to wash all surrounding aluminum.  The acid is going to streak the aluminum unless the area is wet and sprayed off immediately.  Then the only thing  you can do is break out the rags, polish, and elbow grease and get to work with the aluminum polish.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-08-20 2:32 PM (#66162 - in reply to #66159)

Expert

Yes,I think that is what happened when it was acid washed before we got it.There are some awful streaks on it,and,I can't get them off now.It's like I'm spraying water,rinsing with one of those verticle sprayers,that reduces spotting,ect.How about the car wash stuff like RainX,and Mr.Clean system that includes a surfactant rinse that reduces the spotting? Or someone suggested I use Calgon Water Softener before the final rinse?

It is all aluminum,I mean,no skin whatsoever that is white,like a giant cookie sheet,and I've been rinsing and wiping all morning!!

Paints
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-08-24 3:17 PM (#66413 - in reply to #66116)

Veteran

Product Should have directions on HOW to Apply/Use.

We take both trailers to semi/truck wash for acid/wash etc.Runs about $18(2 horse bp)($30. for lqgs trailer)Makes them look SUPER BRIGHT and SHINY NEW....Plus alot less work and wouldn't have spend bunch money n time on products at home.Have friends who bought some crap for alumi. and ate all decals off trailer.

Best bet follow directions on product.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-08-24 10:33 PM (#66435 - in reply to #66413)

Expert

It was like that from the dealer when  I bought it.They had it acid washed at a truck wash,and it ran down the sides from the top of the trailer and now it is like that no matter what I do.

Incidentally,I called Greg Waltrip with Streakmaster products and had a nice talk with him.He told me how to use his product to get a streak free finish.He said to dilute it per the directions,and wash it with a large RV type brush,and do it in small sections.Wait for it to foam,then rinse,and dry with a bunch of terry towels,with the "grain" of the aluminum.THey bring up a shine on aluminum by buffing with the grain when they detail them.

I've used the EQ Solutions on my horses,my trailers,inside and out,and our vehicles for several years now.I love it.There are no real directions to follow,you put the product in their foaming sprayer,and spray it on.I've only used it on white trailer "skin" before,not a shiny aluminum mill finish,so,there was nothing on the lable about that to follow in the first place.The real problem occurred when it came from the dealer following one of those acid washes you recommend from a truck stop.A 30 yr veteran of trucking advised me against bringing my horse trailer to a truck wash .He said that the chemicals and compounds have to be so strong because trucks are exposed to all kinds of road chemicals themselves.I have also heard from trailer dealers that some of the truck washes are just too harsh for horse trailers.I've been detailing my vehicles and trailers for years,and,I prefer to do my own.

Paints
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-08-26 8:47 AM (#66473 - in reply to #66116)

Veteran

ROAD CHEMICALS, come on my husband O.R. Truck driver and NO its safe and wouldn't eat deals off either.Hard to believe Trailer Dealer sold lqs trailer covered in streaks????????Ours was cleaned before picked it up LIKE NEW.....I geuss that comes with what ya buy.Spending the kind of money lqs cost I would of asked WHY or said get/pickup after trailer was detailed.Or just could be trailer itself(not all brands are of same products etc).Best luck on it.Post some pics of trailer.Where was bought from?
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-08-26 12:51 PM (#66481 - in reply to #66473)

Expert

Baby doll,I didn't buy  a NEW trailer,and it isn't a LQ either.

It is a 1995 Sooner 2H BP with an all aluminum finish.

And you're welcome to take your  rig to a truck acid wash all you want to,but I'm not a trucker and I'm not pulling a semi trailer but I'm pulling something that cost me a lot of money just the same,and as I said,having done all my vehicle detail work in the past I prefer to do my own.

Thanks anyway.

Exiss Event  12'SW 3H LQ /Delta 3H slant load stock/And now: 1995 Sooner 2H BP 

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2007-08-26 12:58 PM
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-08-26 1:02 PM (#66486 - in reply to #66481)

Expert

"Guess that comes with what ya buy." I can promise you that a 1995 Sooner was built when they knew how to build trailers.ANd the dealer treated us well and fair.It's a used trailer,after all.I'm just looking for some honest advice on how I can remedy the situation myself here at home.I don't want to take mine to a truck wash,I like to be able to control the type of stuff I put on it myself.To each his own,whoever likes them is free to use them and sing their praises also.

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2007-08-26 1:05 PM
N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-08-26 10:43 PM (#66509 - in reply to #66116)

Elite Veteran

I was also told never to take an Aluminum trailer through an acid wash.  Will slowly pit the skin.  This is what I've been told.  You may not get the stains off, since they've probably been on a long time.  And Yes, I've heard of "Road Chemicals".  Oil, grease, coolant, and god knows what else that drips out of vehicles on the highway.  Never thought "Road Chemicals" would insult anyone!
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-08-27 9:39 AM (#66529 - in reply to #66509)

Expert

Me neither,girl.

Our RV guy that sometimes does work on our LQ (and isn't just a shadetree either,he does work on high dollar pushers and everything in between) told us not to run our aluminum trailers through those truck washes,the stuff is corrosive,and takes a little of the finish off each time,and it will pit it eventually.So whoever wants to can run through one all they like,but,I'm not going to.

You are probably right,may be it has been on there a while.I think this trailer sat outside,and "acid RAIN" and everything else.

I found it on here for sale,and I'm tickled to death with it.It is built like a tank and it pulls like a dream,and our 18 yr old mare that hates riding in straight load trailers rode in it Saturday PM and we never heard a sound from her back there scrambling for her balance,ect.

It's a used trailer,so,yeah,I guess that does come with what ya buy.

trailridngal
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-08-27 10:40 AM (#66536 - in reply to #66116)

Regular

I am having an opposite problem of sorts. I purchased a trailer long distance and didn't see the streaks in the white skin (in the photos provided) until it arrived. I figured streak master would take care of these, but it didn't. Not sure what steaked the skin..almost looks like someone washed the top of the trailer and it ran down the sides. This would be an 05 Featherlite. Any ideas on how I can get these out?
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-08-27 12:14 PM (#66548 - in reply to #66536)

Expert

I couldn't see any pictures,did you put them in the albums?

Are the streaks white,or are they black?

trailridngal
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-08-28 10:26 AM (#66625 - in reply to #66548)

Regular

trailridngal
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-08-28 10:30 AM (#66626 - in reply to #66548)

Regular

Blank post.. oops..will try again. Not sure if you were posting back to me in regards to the color of the streaks?? The streaking on my trailer is white.. the white skin is now two tones of sorts. Some of the white is lighter (where the streaks are). With the pattern, it almost looks like someone tried to brighten up the aluminum along the top and it ran down the sides of the white skin (not for sure on that, just guessing??)  I figured if it was some oxidation, the Streak Master would clean it up, but it didn't.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-08-28 9:45 PM (#66671 - in reply to #66626)

Expert

Sent you a PM about it.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-08-28 9:54 PM (#66673 - in reply to #66626)

Expert

Just sent another one,found the thread for you.
trailridngal
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-08-28 10:17 PM (#66680 - in reply to #66673)

Regular

Just sent you a reply. Thanks much! :-)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'