'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
What to use to clean alum skin trailer?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-02-27 8:39 AM
8 replies, 6669 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Turnnburn64
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-02-23 7:47 PM (#37734)
Subject: What to use to clean alum skin trailer?

OK I have washed my trailer three times now and I can't get the "grime" off of it......I have used the alumabrite that you get at the auto stores and the alumin part of the trailer look brand new.....

What can I use to clean the painted skin? Can I use the alumbrite and apply it with a brush instead of spraying it?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-02-24 5:34 AM (#37740 - in reply to #37734)
Subject: RE: What to use to clean alum skin trailer?

Expert

Go to Auto-Zone they have a product called Purple Power they sellit in the squirt bottles probley 32 oz. and in gallon refill jugs. You need at least one of each depending on trailer size. Mix about 1/2 of the gallon jug in a 5 gallon bucket of water. Get the trailer wet and squirt the purple power on to the trailer starting at the top and working your way down(I try to clean about 4-6 ft. at a time from top to bottom) then take a brush and scrub trailer using the 5 gallon mixture, Trailer will rinse clean and be brighter white than it was when it was new. My dealer buddy buys it in powder form from someone, but you'll only need to wash it this way about once a year, regular wash will work until the black streaks show up again. I leave my trailers outside and this is the best stuff I have found to clean white skinned trailers with. The spray bottle and the gallon jug of it will be less than $10.00.
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-02-24 7:45 AM (#37744 - in reply to #37734)

Extreme Veteran

And.........after you wash it applying some wax will help to keep the painted aluminum(white skin) looking like new and prevent that gray streaking you get from the roof down the sides of your trailer. I've used the spray on wax and that works pretty good but I've noticed it does seem to wear off quicker than the wipe on wax. But it is better than nothing and less work.

Geez, washing your trailer in February is unheard of up here in MI, especially in 3 below zero weather.  I'm ready for Spring!

pegasus
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2006-02-24 9:50 AM (#37750 - in reply to #37734)

Regular

hey, thanks for the info on a good cleaner.  I've wondered what would clean my white painted aluminum trailer and I like the sound of Purple Power! 

A Kansas State alum, go cats!

krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-02-24 1:16 PM (#37761 - in reply to #37750)

Elite Veteran

I have also heard that Mean Green or Simple Geen also works to get the black streaks off. After you clean them off, put on a good coat of wax. It make it so much easier to remove the streaks. I wax my trailer in the Spring then again in the fall.
iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-02-24 7:10 PM (#37772 - in reply to #37761)

Extreme Veteran

The worst thing you can do is not wash them regularly. I bought one that was 4 years old and said oh I can take that home and clean that up and have it looking good. Doesn't always happen. This one sat outside under a tree and was never washed until they wanted to sell it. I tried mean green , simple orange, white lighting, black streak remover, wax (3 different kinds) rubbing compound nothing worked. I even tried comet. Nothing worked. I called the manufactoring company and they said if they go too long and set out you can't get it off it does something to the paint. Next time if its not clean I won't buy it! That wash I think it is Turtle wash that has carnubba wax in it is also pretty good Stuff in between hand  waxxings.
twh37918
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2006-02-24 10:24 PM (#37780 - in reply to #37734)

The "BEST" thing for black streaks. . . go to the Walmart, get a $4 bottle of Blue Magic (aluminum polish), have several clean rags handy, & start polishing. It won't take as long as you might think! (and it don't cost much either. one bottle will more than do most trailers)
Turnnburn64
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-02-25 6:05 PM (#37815 - in reply to #37734)

I am oing to try the mean gren first..The purple power says on it not to use it on painted alum or exterior car surfaces..........so I went the safe route first....
Oakley
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-02-27 8:39 AM (#37905 - in reply to #37734)

One other thing you might try is a product called Streak Master, you can get it at most RV stores. That is what I use and have good results with it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)