'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
FRP Trailers?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-07-29 7:58 PM
5 replies, 7509 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Rockin_horse72
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2010-07-29 9:26 AM (#122947)
Subject: FRP Trailers?

Veteran

Hi!! I haven't posted on here in forever, but I have a couple of questions on trailers that I know this board will be able to answer.

I am looking at buying a used 3 horse slant, full LQ trailer and I was just told that it is easy to confuse an FRP sided trailer with an aluminum sided trailer. I have been looking at older (1995-2000) trailers as they seem to be all that are in my price range. My husband is insistant that we get an all aluminum trailer for longevity and maintence issues. Could anyone please explain how I could tell the difference in trailers from photos?

Thanks a ton!!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Duckman
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2010-07-29 10:36 AM (#122949 - in reply to #122947)
Subject: RE: FRP Trailers?

Veteran

Look at inside horse compartment pics to see if it looks white around windows (inside) or looks shiny (aluminum) I won't worry too much if you're looking at newer trailers, as some models of older Featherlite, Sooner and Hart trailers are the common ones to have used FRP on the sides
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-07-29 4:35 PM (#122967 - in reply to #122947)

Expert

FRP trailers won't have lines of rivets holding the siding to the framing. They will look like the newer trailers that use tape to hold things together. It's difficult to tell with interior photos, because some aluminum trailers have FRP bulkheads. The interior panels again won't have rivets, and will be smooth skinned.

FRP trailers are also prone to delamination if the caulking maintenance isn't up to date. Water can enter the edges of the construction and seep between the FRP layups and the plywood core. The wood will rot, the FRP will seperate from the wood, and the integrity and strength of the laminate will suffer.

Look under windows, doors, any areas where there is an opening within the panels. These are generally the problem areas. The interior bulkheads are usually free from delamination problems.

One thing you will find that is generally true: the weight of a FRP constructed trailer, usually exceeds that of a comparabily sized all aluminum trailer. If you can see one in person, just taping on the exterior surface will quickly differentiate the construction differences, by the metalic or dead sounding thuds you will hear.

Rockin_horse72
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2010-07-29 5:05 PM (#122969 - in reply to #122947)

Veteran

Thank you!! I was hoping that the rivets would tell me something!! I had never even heard of FRP until yesterday, so I'm very glad to find out this info BEFORE I bought a trailer!!

Thanks again!

flatlandfilly
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2010-07-29 7:33 PM (#122980 - in reply to #122947)

Veteran

What is FRP?
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-07-29 7:58 PM (#122982 - in reply to #122947)

Expert

Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic. Some trailer manufacturers changed the meaning for their construction, to Fiberglass Reinforced Plywood. In actuality, the plywood is used as a core material that is laminated to FRP on each side. This increases the strengths and rigidty of each material and protects the wood from the elements. It also results in a heavy construction that can fail by delaminating, when the seals are broken, and the edge grain of the laminate is exposed to weather.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)