'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer Gurus...Anyone know any history on Triggs Trailers?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-06-28 11:49 AM
4 replies, 12556 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

UrbanAmish
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-06-27 10:49 AM (#121594)
Subject: Trailer Gurus...Anyone know any history on Triggs Trailers?

I just bought an older Triggs fiberglass 4H BP trailer.  It is one of the strangest trailers I have ever seen.  The horses load, for lack of a better term, "horizontally", i.e.  if the trailer is pointed north, they are facing west with their butts pointing east.  There is no slant at all.  The trailer is 8 1/2 feet wide, so the "sideways" straight load works, but I've never ever seen another trailer with this configuration.

I can't find a VIN plate on the trailer, just what might be a serial number stamped near the coupler.  The stickers on the trailer say Belmond Iowa, so I did an internet search to find out some facts on the company, but they've been out of business so long, I can't find anything but an obituary for some guy who used to work there.

Do any of you know anything about Triggs? I have no idea what year this trailer is, if there was ever a model name for this specific trailer, or if this was some kind of a one off custom order. Any input would be most appreciated.  I love facts and details, and it seems like a bunch of you have lots of those .  Thanks for helping with my mystery!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2010-06-27 11:49 AM (#121596 - in reply to #121594)
Subject: RE: Trailer Gurus...Anyone know any history on Triggs Trailers?

Elite Veteran

I believe they may have been made in Iowa? My girlfriend pulled with one for many years and it was a great trailer. It was extremely light, as you have likely already found, and had plenty of room for bigger horses. Which is exactly how she stumbled across it. She bought a horse at auction and he was too wide for the two horse she had brought, so the guy who brought the horse traded her trailers as well. She sold it about 12 years later for what she paid for it. The only down side is needing someone who knows how to gelcoat if you get any body damage. Boat repair shops would work here. I doubt that is the kind of fact you were after but I still see the odd Triggs going down the road and would own one if it fit my needs. They are no longer in production to the best of my knowledge.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-06-27 1:29 PM (#121602 - in reply to #121594)

Expert

Edited by retento 2010-06-27 1:30 PM
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2010-06-27 5:03 PM (#121614 - in reply to #121594)

A lot of polo trailers utilize the same straight across loading method.

"The horses load, for lack of a better term, "horizontally", i.e.  if the trailer is pointed north, they are facing west with their butts pointing east.  There is no slant at all.  The trailer is 8 1/2 feet wide, so the "sideways" straight load works, but I've never ever seen another trailer with this configuration. "

ND COWBOY
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2010-06-28 11:49 AM (#121663 - in reply to #121594)

Veteran

We used to sell Triggs stock trailers. They were one of the first to make a trailer with the pointed nose and smooth side walls. They have been out of business for quite a few years.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)