'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
What year did Sundowner stop the problem powercoating of their trailers?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-01-06 1:46 PM
5 replies, 10746 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

LazyDayHorseFarm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2010-01-05 6:41 PM (#114924)
Subject: What year did Sundowner stop the problem powercoating of their trailers?

I know this subject has been brought up several times in the past, but I have looked through all of the older posts, but I could not find an answer to my question.

Am I to assume that all Valuelites have the power-coating that begins to peel after awhile. Once the name was changed to Sunlite, was the problem addressed and fixed.  Why I ask is because I have my eye on a 2003 three horse slant Sundowner and even though this trailer looks great now, I do not want to run into problems later down the line.

If someone wants to pm on this that is fine too. I just do not want to buy a trailer that will have problems later on in life.  Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
To Much Trouble
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-01-05 10:15 PM (#114935 - in reply to #114924)
Subject: RE: What year did Sundowner stop the problem powercoating of their trailers?

Veteran

unfortunately problems  " later in life" are going to happen...it is just the nature of things...they do not stay perfect forever unless you put them away and never use them...but even then things will go to hell just sitting.

IF the trailer is what you like and suits your needs , I say go for it.  Then take as good of care of it as you possibly can...

buckedoff
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-01-06 9:15 AM (#114941 - in reply to #114924)
Subject: RE: What year did Sundowner stop the problem powercoating of their trailers?

Walk away from that SD Sunlite.  No different - not only problems may arise - the resale is terrible. People, if they have any knowledge of trailers, will not buy.
jim bob
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2010-01-06 9:47 AM (#114943 - in reply to #114924)

Extreme Veteran

ALL Sundowner models made after January 1st of 2008 are made with aluminum frames.  No more steel frames after that date.  However, steel framed model Sundowners were powder coated only from 1997 into 2003 models.  In 2003, the Undercoating was added to the underneath of steel trailer models.  Suncoat was added to the gooseneck framework and to the A-frame portion on bumper pull models.  It was also added to other exposed parts of the trailer also. 

If you live in an area other than the midwest or northeast, you will probably be fine with that 2003 model; but I would inspect it first. 

LazyDayHorseFarm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2010-01-06 9:55 AM (#114944 - in reply to #114924)

Thank you all for your personal insight. I knew there would be several different opinions on this subject which is fine. Having different perspectives can be a good thing. I just want to make the most informed decision I can.

Jim Bob, how can I tell if it has been undercoated?  Can you tell by just looking at it???

horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2010-01-06 1:46 PM (#114959 - in reply to #114924)

Elite Veteran

To clarify Jim Bob's statement. Yes, Sundowner started undercoating the trailers as he stated. But the steel framing was powdercoated from '99 until the steel production ceased in '08. Just with the undercoating, it was covered up underneath. And yes, the flaking still happened with the undercoated units, just not to the same degree. And remember, the steel was in the walls, neck, and rear end- not just underneath.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)