'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer floor and steel wall channels

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-01-15 5:22 AM
9 replies, 7874 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

pinkmouse
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-01-12 6:06 PM (#97376)
Subject: Trailer floor and steel wall channels

Veteran

Hi - new to the board.  I just picked up a 2005 Adams 3H slant with a 5' sw.  I have been searching for some information on flooring/steel walls - specifically in the horse area - and did not find this topic.  There is no protection of any type - no mats (just the wood floor) and nothing on the walls - just bare steel with supports.  The steel channels on the floor are rusty (deep surface rust).   I would like to clean up the channels (after I pressure wash the rest of the manure out of them).  What would you recommend to clean/sand the surface?  What would be a good product to put on to prevent further rust.  I have been looking at putting on a product similar to Line-X or Grizzly Grip on the floor and about 18" up the wall (including the floor channels).  What are your thoughts on these type of products?  I just got an estimate from the local Line-X dealer and decided that I would attempt the job myself (it was almost as much as the trailer!!!).  Thanks.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-01-12 8:37 PM (#97389 - in reply to #97376)
Subject: RE: Trailer floor and steel wall channels

Expert

Before you coat the steel with any product, you have to eliminate and stop the rust. Otherwise you will only hide a problem that will worsen. A rust "converter" applied to the metal, after the surface has been scrapped or sanded as smooth as possible, will stop the oxidation. There are many types including water based products. Many are derivatives of phosphoric acid, and one, "Ospho" is commonly used successfully in many fields of transportation.

There are many coatings you can apply, that will lessen the re rusting of the steel. Your choices will depend on the amount of work and money you wish to expend. The first step is converting your rusted trailer's surfaces into an oxide, that can be painted or recoated. That's the job of the converter.

If you want to keep your trailer for any length of time, you might consider installing rubber mats for the flooring and pressure treated plywood, lining at least the butt side of the side wall.

greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2009-01-12 9:56 PM (#97395 - in reply to #97376)

Extreme Veteran

After the "Ospho" or other rust converter, which you may need more than one application of if the rust is bad, I would put down a good coat of galvanizing paint before any other paint. I would be worried about the bed-liner type stuff on steel that had already been heavily rusted. It would be best to get back down to bare metal before you do any painting or coating too, don't want any rust hiding under old paint.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-01-13 4:52 AM (#97402 - in reply to #97376)

Expert

That's kinda sad that the trailer in on 3-4 years old and it's already in that kind of shape.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-01-13 8:38 AM (#97411 - in reply to #97376)

Expert

If you are going to coat the steel sides of your trailer, you might consider "Duplicolor" bed liner material. It is very similar to "Herculiner" but at least in our area, it is available locally at auto parts stores and Walmart at less than half the price. It is very durable and easily applied to prepared steel surfaces.

I have it applied to the steel dump bed of my UTV which is used for mucking out stalls, hauling gravel and shale, firewood and anything else that fits in the bed. I installed three coats of Duplicolor when it was new, and after a couple of years of hard usage, it has yet to chip or leak and has not allowed any rusting.

It is single part, cold applied product. It's quite thixotropic, and will cover a vertical surface without sagging. It can be applied by brush or roller, can be recoated in a couple of hours and dries hard over night.

It is the same product that I and many others have used on aluminum trailer floors and mangers, rendering the interiors almost maintenance free. If it were available in colours other than black, I would find more uses for it.

Gard

Edited by gard 2009-01-13 9:37 AM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-01-13 9:39 AM (#97416 - in reply to #97376)

Expert

Here's a glib on Ospho:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/pwr/product-reviews/Paints/Primers-Sealers-Undercoats/Ospho/p/557-Ospho-Metal-Treatment.html

pinkmouse
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-01-13 3:45 PM (#97438 - in reply to #97376)

Veteran

Thanks for the info.  Ospho sounds like a product that will save me a great deal of effort.    As far as the Duplicolor product goes - would you recommend putting it on the wood floor?  I am trying to avoid getting heavy stall mats that have to be taken out regularly- they weigh nearly as much as I do!!  lol
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-01-13 5:01 PM (#97448 - in reply to #97376)

Expert

I don't think Duplicolor is intended for usage on wood, and can't recommend it for that purpose. I can empathize with your mat dilemma, I have the same difficulty. Our last trailer was sold after 15 years with the original wooden flooring in pristine condition. We did use mats and wash the floor to wall, wood to steel joints after every use. It had no additional protective coating.

There are deck sealants that can be applied to the wood flooring. I would recommend an oil base product, that migrates into and protects the actual cell structure of the wood, instead of the acrylics that only coat the surface where they can be chaffed away.

I fortunately now only have to pull my mats at the end of each season. My metal floors are sealed, and require no weekly or monthly maintenance, only a one time flushing under the mats before storage. We still wash the mats' surfaces and remove the manure with each use.

BOL   Gard

Edited by gard 2009-01-13 5:07 PM
greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2009-01-13 10:21 PM (#97461 - in reply to #97376)

Extreme Veteran

For wood I've found linseed oil mixed with Diesel 1:1 works well. It soaks in well, oxidizes within a few days (doesn't stay slippery), and doesn't stink like Diesel does by itself.
pinkmouse
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-01-15 5:22 AM (#97540 - in reply to #97376)

Veteran

Has anyone tried Grizzly Grip for their floor?  The website said that it was suitable for wood surfaces.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)