'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
My best friend (my horse) went blind yesterday

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-01-13 5:15 PM
15 replies, 6282 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

dixie
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-11-21 1:20 PM (#95181)
Subject: My best friend (my horse) went blind yesterday

Veteran

Sorry to spill my guts, but this is one of the toughest things I've dealt with in years. This horse has been my best friend for 6 years now and now he's blind. The vet said he's moon blind and gave me some meds to open his pupil, but he said even if he gets any of his sight back his riding days are over. Why is it that stuff like this happens to the best horses? And why so quickly? He was fine one day and the next he's blind. He is an unbelievable animal though he trusts me and my wife so much he let us catch him and put him in a stall and then did not want us to leave him so I set with him till midnight last night. Once again sorry to use this forum to vent, but its weighing pretty heavy on me.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
stablemom
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-11-21 2:24 PM (#95186 - in reply to #95181)
Subject: RE: My best friend (my horse) went blind yesterday

Veteran

My heart goes out to you!! Was he diagnosed with Equine Recurrent Uveitis-ERU? This time last year my mare came up with her eye swollen, etc... My local vet said that he thought it was the ERU, but I took her to Auburn and had them look at her. They never came to that diagnosis, but really everything that they tested her for came back OK. I did alot of research on the internet and ordered her a mask to wear because it was evident that the glare of the sun bothered her. It was only one of her eyes. She has been on cyclosporin for about 8 months now and it seems to keep her eye the same. In other words, no better really, but no worse. ERU usually happens gradually, but sometimes the first warning signs are not noticed. Is he blind in both eyes?? I think that it usually happens one eye at a time. My mare can still see, but I do think that her vision is not as good in the affected eye. Whatever the case, I am so sorry that this has happened!

walkersandweims
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-11-21 2:54 PM (#95189 - in reply to #95181)

sorry to hear of your Horse,s blindness .  I do not believe his riding days  are over tho.  there are many blind horses that   still are on the trail.    as they go blind they MAY  be spooky as they are just seeing shadow,s.   since your Horse knows you so well and trust you so much ,  once totally blind he will even be more intuned  to you and your cue,s .   He will look for your guide-ness  even more.  you never know..I would,nt write him off just yet .  

hang  in there

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-11-21 7:42 PM (#95206 - in reply to #95181)

Expert

About 5 years ago I "inherited" a blind appy mare.  She was well broke and you could ride her.  I only rode her in the arena but her previous owner would take her out on trails.  She was used as a therapy horse for a while too.  She is now in retirement with her original owner.  I looked her up and offered her to her when we moved to NM.  I didn't know what kind of facility I was going to and didn't want to take a chance with her. 

Pipe fences and corral panels worked best for her. 

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-11-21 10:35 PM (#95214 - in reply to #95181)

Expert

if your horse was rideable before his blindness then he came be retrained, just remember that he can not see ,so you can not use body language to train him. start as if he has never had a saddle on . keep touching him all over and talk to him so he know were you are at all times. I trained a blind horse that was blind from birth, the hard part is remembering that he can not see. good luck
walkersandweims
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-11-22 1:56 PM (#95224 - in reply to #95214)

I think Body language would be even more important.  they Horse would most definitley "feel"  your Body language  more so now.  voice commands would be just as important as  your body energy.   The horse  can,t see your Body Motions anymore  but as long as your   body is relaxed and gives off confidense  , your Horse will trust you .

good luck

lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-11-22 2:11 PM (#95225 - in reply to #95224)

Extreme Veteran

I hated to read about your horse.  I can't imagine how hard it must be.  You and he can get through this...keep your chin UP!  I too have heard of people continuing to ride horses after the horse loses sight.  In fact, there was a true story Hallmark movie about a lady competing and winning on her blind appaloosa.  Anything is possible!!

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-11-22 5:29 PM (#95234 - in reply to #95181)

Elite Veteran

There is a story right now on myhorse.com about a moon-blind warmblood who is successfully competing in dressage.. read it, it is heartwarming.
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-11-23 4:54 PM (#95263 - in reply to #95224)

Expert

body language that you are talking about is not what i meant. i am referring to the way trains stand and look at they horse and lead horse ,the blind horse dose not see how you are standing or were you are so you have to do it like braille reading, touch is very important to him so he know were thing are and not to fear them, to a blind horse every step will seam as if he is going to fall in a hole but after a few mouths he should state to get it good luck
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-11-25 5:49 AM (#95323 - in reply to #95181)

Expert

I knew a gal(dizzy blond no pun intended) That had a Appy gelding at boarding barn. She always complained about him stumbling on the trails etc .She asked one of the other gals at the barn to feed him one weekend as she was going out of town. The other gal put his grain in his pan on the floor and noticed he was hunting it smelling for it .She moved it around his stall .Well he was blind! No telling how long he was blind. The owner had complained well over a year about his stumbling.
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-11-25 8:51 AM (#95326 - in reply to #95181)

Elite Veteran

Is your boy blind in one or both eyes? I rode my gelding well into his 20's and he was blind in one eye for about the last 12 of his 32 years. He actually rode better-I always joked it was because he saw half as much to spook at. It is NOT the end of his usefullness. My other gelding would walk behind him in later years and tap his nose on whichever hip the old guy should turn from. Sad, yes. But not the end. Good luck.
dixie
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-11-25 12:18 PM (#95340 - in reply to #95181)

Veteran

He's been blind in his right eye for going on probably 2 yrs now and now the disease has moved to his other eye. I've rode him for the 2 yrs that he's been blind in one eye and he was really never affected by it. His spirit has changed in the past few days which is encouraging he is back to being his old self as far as his attitude, but so far no improvement in his vision. I'm hoping that between the medicine and the prayers that he will get some of his sight back.
Shy
Reg. Dec 2008
Posted 2008-12-30 6:00 PM (#96713 - in reply to #95181)

that is so sad! my horse has had that before.....it is tough to go through...
Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2009-01-04 12:06 PM (#96900 - in reply to #95181)

Extreme Veteran

Best of luck with your horse. What a tough thing to happen to your horse and you.
If your vet prescribed atropine make sure your horse drinks lots of water. Especially if your horse is older and tends not to drink a lot. Some horses are sensitive and can get an impaction colic while on this medication, as my old horse did a couple of years ago. He made it, but spent nearly a week and a half at Purdue University. More recently my Vet told me another horse had the same issue, but not as severe an impaction. So make sure your horse is drinking lots of water if atropine is one of the medications.
appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2009-01-05 6:35 PM (#96988 - in reply to #95181)

Veteran

My appy gelding went blind 3 years ago.  I noticed problems in May, and by August he was totally blind. 

Everyone told me that you can trail ride a blind horse, not this one.  Our last ride (unknowingly) was pure misery.  He spooked at everything, pranced, bucked, and was totally freaked out by the ride.  He had been a safe, sweet, gentle horse before that.  That night in camp he panicked when he couldn't find his best mare, she was one horse away from him.  It was then I decided to retire him.  I had people tell me that I was wrong to retire him, I should ride him.  Hello, I think I know my horse better than anyone.  I didn't feel safe, and he was very scared to leave home.  He retired to the pasture with my mini donkey, and one month later we found that the leptospirosis that took his eyesight also took his mind, thus the crazy personality. 

I opted to euth him in September, his quality of life was gone.  Not just the blindness, it was the other stuff. 

I feel for ya, but you will know what's best for him.   ( to ride or not)

pinkmouse
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-01-13 5:15 PM (#97452 - in reply to #95181)

Veteran

http://www.blindhorses.org/ This site may have some useful information.

My mare is blind in one eye and appears to have adjusted well.  One thing I do with her is talk to her all the time when I am on her blind side so she knows I am there.  I NEVER approach her on her blind side without her knowing I am there first - if I did she would kick me into next month!!!  lol  You will know within a month if he has adjusted.  Best of luck.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)