'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Assistance deciding on a new trailer

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-10-23 11:35 AM
33 replies, 10875 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

OldNo7
Reg. Oct 2013
Posted 2013-10-13 8:51 PM (#155329 - in reply to #155225)
Subject: RE: Assistance deciding on a new trailer

The discussion about the B-52 is interesting. I will side with the A&P regarding aircraft. As a Flight Instructor I have flown most GA aircraft, a lot from the 60's and 70's that have been used as trainers all of their working life. But, I do not stuff a couple of 1000lb animals in the airplane and I try to avoid runways with potholes and large rocks. So, it's apples and oranges. I know aluminum holds it value, does not rust, but will corrode. So, I will keep reading your comments and suggestions. Thanks.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Arieldouglas
Reg. Aug 2013
Posted 2013-10-13 10:02 PM (#155332 - in reply to #155329)

Veteran

Originally written by OldNo7 on 2013-10-13 8:51 PM

The discussion about the B-52 is interesting. I will side with the A&P regarding aircraft. As a Flight Instructor I have flown most GA aircraft, a lot from the 60's and 70's that have been used as trainers all of their working life. But, I do not stuff a couple of 1000lb animals in the airplane and I try to avoid runways with potholes and large rocks. So, it's apples and oranges. I know aluminum holds it value, does not rust, but will corrode. So, I will keep reading your comments and suggestions. Thanks.
I'm starting to think you are just an instigator!
OldNo7
Reg. Oct 2013
Posted 2013-10-14 10:45 AM (#155345 - in reply to #155225)

No I am not an instigator. Though I like a spirited debate, I like it to stay on subject. All of the information about aircraft aluminum, metal characteristics, torsion, bend, etc. is all good discussion. But, we are talking about trailers, I would like to hear actual experience " I have an Exiss, I drive on the highway only, works great, or I have a Elite, drove off road and broke 2 welds on dividers, or my brakes failed after 2 years, things like that is what I want to hear. My experience with my current trailer is what I would like to hear; "I have a 1994 S & H 16' deck stock trailer. I have stuffed it full of cows, had 6 horses in it, drove the roughest forest service roads, hit fence posts, backed into telephone poles, hauled pigs in it, and I have not had to do anything to it, other than tires, 1 brake assembly and floor boards that I chose to replace. I would buy another one in a heartbeat." Like I said I like the discussion, but lets keep it simple. Thanks everybody. Still shopping.
Hankster1958
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2013-10-15 2:32 AM (#155357 - in reply to #155225)

Well, All i have to say, is he went to a DEALER, who sells BOTH styles of trailer, told them his EXACT requirements..what and where he intended it to be run... and they told him, the best solution for his needs was.....
What I said.
Done.
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2013-10-17 10:51 PM (#155416 - in reply to #155225)

Extreme Veteran

Aluminum hands down. No steel for me and very good luck so far. Let the steel trailer go when it started leaving cancer spots in the yard from the rust falling off.LOL

Edited by Spooler 2013-10-17 10:53 PM
OldNo7
Reg. Oct 2013
Posted 2013-10-18 11:28 AM (#155429 - in reply to #155225)

Yeah, my current trailer is rust colored with white accents. Is the aluminum holding up on rough roads or is it only used on highways. Still comparing and shopping. I compare and compare and research. Thanks for all the input. Keep them coming.
mokamm
Reg. Oct 2012
Posted 2013-10-22 4:43 PM (#155471 - in reply to #155272)

My experiences:
First trailer: 1982 Lite line purchased in 2003, steel frame, aluminum skin.  Tank.  That trailer was built to last but it was heavy.

Second Trailer: 1998 Cato Classic with a 18 ft short wall, aluminum frame, aluminum skin.  Purchased in 2007. Never had a problem out of it other than a minor leak because we didn't keep up with the caulk.  Pulled out the gooseneck interior to fix wet areas.  Welds were solid.

Current Trailer: 2006 Sooner purchased last year.  Aluminum frame and skin.  We are battling major issues with this trailer.  Basically every weld in on the sides in the gooseneck are are bad and were poorly welded originally.  Spot welds on only one side of the verticle I beams to the upper and lower beams. We are sick.

My advice, if you buy a new trailer and want living quarters, have it built and inspect the work as it occurs.  I think too many of these trailer companies are cutting corners to save a buck and guess who pays for it....

OldNo7
Reg. Oct 2013
Posted 2013-10-22 5:44 PM (#155476 - in reply to #155225)

Thank you, that is what I a looking for. It sure seems like the older trailers were built to last, unlike everything else these days. I do not need or want living quarters, will use the gooseneck area to sleep if I need to. I appreciate the input.
mokamm
Reg. Oct 2012
Posted 2013-10-23 11:35 AM (#155491 - in reply to #155476)

Originally written by OldNo7 on 2013-10-22 5:44 PM

Thank you, that is what I a looking for. It sure seems like the older trailers were built to last, unlike everything else these days. I do not need or want living quarters, will use the gooseneck area to sleep if I need to. I appreciate the input.

The good part about that is you should be able to inspect an unfinished trailer pretty easily.  Good luck in your new purchase!

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)