'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Metal Wax, Streak Master, Off the Shelf, Truck Wash....Let's Discuss

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-05-31 3:59 AM
7 replies, 12271 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

blackcows
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-05-21 10:31 AM (#134265)
Subject: Metal Wax, Streak Master, Off the Shelf, Truck Wash....Let's Discuss

Extreme Veteran

I have seen a few posts lately about cleaning trailers and it's time I got my trailer cleaned up and ready for the year.  As I see it this is really a two part discussion, cleaning the bare alluminum and cleaning the painted alluminum.  I have done some Google searches, read some stuff here on the HTW forum and would like some input from others.

1.  Cleaning the bare alluminum?

a.  Truck Wash - I have a livestock trailer that I get acid washed once a year.  It works great and the trailer looks awesome when it's done but it's not really practical for my 3 horse as the majority is white skinned and the small area that is bare alluminum is where we tie horses every weekend and it needs to be cleaned more often.

b.  Streakmaster - I have read some good reports from people that have used this, cost is $40 per gallon which makes 6 to 10 gallons of product.  From what I have read seems very safe to use.

c.  Metal Wax - Lot's of products from this company but it seems like the High Performance Metal Cleaner would be similar to the Streakmaster product.  Cost is $34.95 for 32oz which makes 3 gallons so more expensive than Streakmaster and the way I read it maybe not as safe?

d.  Ez-All Truck and Trailer Wash - This is about $30 a gallon and in my experience doesn't do much more that straight water.

e. Hydro Fluorhidric Acid - I think this is what they use at the truck washes, probably the cheapest but not a good idea to use at home.

2.  Cleaning the Painted Alluminum Skin?

There are some products that exist that seem to be specific to horse trailers but the more I read the more it seems to me that this part of the trailer is best treated as you would a car.  Trailers that are more oxidized may need more elbow grease and those that are new may just need a coat of wax.  Is there any difference between a painted car and a painted horse trailer?

Any input, personal experiences, etc would be appreciated.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2011-05-21 9:28 PM (#134271 - in reply to #134265)
Subject: RE: Metal Wax, Streak Master, Off the Shelf, Truck Wash....Let's Discuss

Expert

I've used Streakmaster products for some time now on all of my trailers,mill aluminum finish,and,the painted portions of my LQ.Their acid wash is safe and their protectant coat that is washed on helps to keep it cleaner.

Black streaks are hard to deal with.I've tried mean green,purple power,etc and also the Mr Clean erasers.THey'll come back,but,the Streakmaster wash-on protectant helps them clean up easier and take a little while to show back up.I haven't tried MetalWax yet,but,it has good reviews.I'm just more familiar with Streakmaster.When the guy (Greg Waltrip) came on here at first with his ads and claims for his products,I'll never forget what a hard time some forum members gave that man over some derned trailer wash.I think I ordered it just to try to prove a point.His products certainly were not a disappointment.I think you'd like them.I don't use truck washes simply for the reason that it's never failed to be incompletely rinsed from all of the seams and cracks,then,when it continues to run on your way home,and dries,sometimes it's permanent.I'd just rather care for my trailers myself,but,that's a personal choice.

blackcows
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-05-22 6:52 AM (#134280 - in reply to #134271)
Subject: RE: Metal Wax, Streak Master, Off the Shelf, Truck Wash....Let's Discuss

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by crowleysridgegirl on 2011-05-21 9:28 PM

I've used Streakmaster products for some time now on all of my trailers,mill aluminum finish,and,the painted portions of my LQ.Their acid wash is safe and their protectant coat that is washed on helps to keep it cleaner.

Black streaks are hard to deal with.I've tried mean green,purple power,etc and also the Mr Clean erasers.THey'll come back,but,the Streakmaster wash-on protectant helps them clean up easier and take a little while to show back up.I haven't tried MetalWax yet,but,it has good reviews.I'm just more familiar with Streakmaster.When the guy (Greg Waltrip) came on here at first with his ads and claims for his products,I'll never forget what a hard time some forum members gave that man over some derned trailer wash.I think I ordered it just to try to prove a point.His products certainly were not a disappointment.I think you'd like them.I don't use truck washes simply for the reason that it's never failed to be incompletely rinsed from all of the seams and cracks,then,when it continues to run on your way home,and dries,sometimes it's permanent.I'd just rather care for my trailers myself,but,that's a personal choice.

I guess I must be lucky becuase I really don't have any issues with black streaks on my trailer.  My issues is more dull and dirty.  Two questions for you about the Streakmaster products, Can the bare metal product be used on a regular basis as in monthly or even weekly?  I have attached a picture of my trailer. As you can see the back portion is bare alluminum and we tie horse here when we show.  After a day of slober and hay it gets dirty quickly.

Also is it a problem if the bare metal cleaner gets on the painted surface? Do you use if for the hinges, window frames, trailer frame, etc where is may come in to contact with the painted surface?

hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2011-05-23 12:07 AM (#134293 - in reply to #134265)

Expert

I run ours over to the truck stop and let the guys that wash the big trucks wash it then I follow it with a light coat of wax once a year on the painted trailers.  That reminds me it's time to do it now....We do the inside ourself once a month...

As for black streaks, I really do not have them but we have a painted top rail and corner post on our trailer which helps some and I'm sure the wax helps make the trailer easy to clean too.

Our bare metal or mill finsh trailer I just have acid washed once a year.  For what it cost me to buy the acid and the time it takes I just have a trailer shop do this for me.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2011-05-27 3:21 PM (#134387 - in reply to #134280)

Expert

Nice  sized trailer.

I think you'll find that you can use Streakmaster safely on the extruded aluminum and it won't harm the painted finish if it gets on it,either.That's another thing I like about it.It's hard for us to haul our stuff up to a truck wash,we don't have the time for that because I can't haul the thing up there,myself.I'd rather just wash it myself.

If you'll use the Streakmaster Wash and Protect on your trailer after,you'll find that the horse slobber,etc will come off easily without having to acid wash it on a weekly basis.Bear in mind,it is an acid wash.Be careful about runoff on any grass,I learned that the hard way.DUH!45

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2011-05-27 3:24 PM
Linda Y
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2011-05-28 11:55 AM (#134398 - in reply to #134265)

Extreme Veteran

I have been real happy with the Streakmaster products. I use the one specified for painted and also the one for extruded. They clean fairly easily but the trailer stays looking nice for quite a while afterwards. I got a gallon of each and they will probably have to go into my will...I will never use it all!

Someone mentioned that you won't get as many black streaks if you let the top of the trailer oxidize some. And after trying it, it is true! Granted, pretty shiny would look a little nicer, but not having black streaks is a LOT nicer!

mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2011-05-30 2:44 PM (#134418 - in reply to #134265)

Elite Veteran

I just started scrubbing my trailer. I had black steaks on the white skin. I used Purple Power on it and it was a breeze.Spray on wipe down and rinse off. Now the aluminum on the sides...Alot of work but it sure looks good afterwards...
blackcows
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-05-31 3:59 AM (#134420 - in reply to #134265)

Extreme Veteran

I got a gallon of the Streak Master Bare Alluminum Cleaner and tried it out yesterday, it did work very well.  In my opinion not as well as a truck stop acid wash but almost and probably would have worked as well if I mixed it stronger.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)