'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
iPhone app or dedicated GPS unit

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-12-05 11:45 AM
10 replies, 7848 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

JustMary
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2010-09-26 10:06 AM (#125227)
Subject: iPhone app or dedicated GPS unit

Regular

I am looking into a GPS tool to use while trail riding. I have an iPhone and would prefer to find an app that would be suitable. We also have a Garmin etrex (it is actually my husband's and I am not very familiar with it's use). I'd like to be able to track a trail and then upload to my PC. Admittedly I am not very familiar with the use of GPS, so I guess I would prefer "dumbed down" or easy to use, with simple features.

Any comments or ideas about usage or reference to knowledge base would be very helpful!

Happy trails
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2010-09-28 12:50 PM (#125285 - in reply to #125227)
Subject: RE: iPhone app or dedicated GPS unit

Elite Veteran

You'll be hard-pressed to get a cell phone signal in most wilderness areas, not too mention through dense foliage etc. Even if you get a weak signal, you may lose the navigation or it will work intermittently. Most GPS units are designed to work through foliage and hold a satellite signal better than a RF signal that cell phones use.

I had an eTrex and it worked well. I upgraded a few years ago to the Colorado and found it much easier to use. But I'd learn how to use the eTrex instead of relying on your cell phone. Also the battery life on the GPS unit will last longer than on a cell phone.

JustMary
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2010-09-28 2:51 PM (#125292 - in reply to #125227)

Regular

That's very helpful, thanks!
Bleve
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-09-28 9:59 PM (#125304 - in reply to #125227)

Regular

As I understand it, your GPS signal on your cell is separate from the cell signal, but that is something you could talk to tech support or email the app developer about. That said, I'm not familiar with any apps that create tracks as easy as a dedicated GPS, they probably exist but I haven't looked for them.

I like my eTrex Vista HCx because I can download topo maps and waypoints beforehand then look at my track afterwards. Another big thing is batteries and battery life. I can carry a spare pair of AA's for my GPS. Constantly running functions on my phone seems to drain the battery which is annoying when camping.

Minty
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2010-10-01 7:40 AM (#125359 - in reply to #125227)

I have an Iphone as well and have several apps that I use for running/biking/hiking when on trails with my wife who rides. the apps I have were the free ones but can be upgraded for a fee. try imapmyfitness, imapmybike, imapmyrun, imapmyride or the one I really like that was free and includes a button for taking pictures is NB totalfit. this do all work well in forested areas

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2010-10-02 9:32 AM (#125388 - in reply to #125227)

Expert

I very much like the Garmin Oregon, so easy to use, geotags your pictures (it has a camera) and is very good off road in the boonies, and can be used to street route like an auto GPS too, and not huge and bulky.  I use mine primarily for hunting on mules and trail riding.  It is very easy to use with the computer as well....

Edited by flyinghfarm 2010-10-02 9:34 AM
Mira
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2010-11-29 9:03 AM (#127571 - in reply to #125227)

Regular

I use the Runkeeper lite app on iPhone which is free and it works really well you can set it for walking ,running,treadmill,it also makes a trail ! I'll have to check out those other apps!Mira
trot-on
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-11-30 12:35 AM (#127615 - in reply to #125227)

Extreme Veteran

(copy and paste) To put it simple, it is not JUST the cell towers that make the GPS programs work in the Iphones.

The iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 4 use A-GPS -- or "Assisted GPS" -- which in basic terms accesses an intermediary server when it is not possible to connect directly via satellite -- indoors, for example -- and this server provides the nearest satellite with additional information to make it possible to more accurately determine a users position.

Apple explains that the iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 4 also use "wi-fi hotspots and cellular towers to get the most accurate location fast" when GPS is not the most convenient method of location detection. The iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 also have an integrated digital compass to also provide the direction one is facing, which is quite useful when combined with mapping software.

When combined with a service -- such as AT&T Navigator which "transforms your iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4 into a voice-guided GPS navigation system for traveling across the country and just across town" for an additional monthly charge -- theses iPhone models are capable of providing real-time navigation. The original iPhone is not
AJH
Reg. Nov 2010
Posted 2010-12-04 4:56 PM (#127776 - in reply to #125227)

I've been to East Fork, Shawnee and Wranglers (KY-LBL) this year and my I-Phone has been nothing more than a clock and a camera. Anytime I get away from the city its worthless for both phone calls and maps. My ETrex has worked great on all the trails we've ridden and hiked this year. Just get a signal before you get into the deep woods.
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2010-12-04 6:22 PM (#127779 - in reply to #127776)

Extreme Veteran

Last spring I broke down and purchase the GPSMAP 78s. I had a GPSMAP 76csx before that.

I am amazed out how well the 78 works in dense trees, foilage, etc. Have never lost a signal, anywhere. It loads up much faster and operates much faster than the 76 unit. They have a much faster processor in the 78, and the new menu structure on the 78 unit is very intuitive, even to the most casual observer. The new unit also supports 1.6 gig if internal memory and supports SD Ram chips upto 8 gig. I can load the entire city navigator and most of the continental US topo maps.
TheOtherHorse
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2010-12-05 11:45 AM (#127799 - in reply to #125227)

Regular

I just recently got a Droid X and tried out the Endomondo app while riding around home today. I really liked it. I can't comment on how well it works in remote locations yet, as I have full service around home, but I'll try it again when I haul out to for trail rides. It was really neat to be able to look at my route, speed, distance, duration, etc after riding. Not sure if this app would be helpful to anyone here, but I thought it was pretty neat.

Here's the link to my short ride this morning, if anyone wants to see how it works:
http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/iKVarVjSL4c

Edited by TheOtherHorse 2010-12-05 11:48 AM

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World