'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Salt Fork State Park, OH

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-06-29 8:55 AM
4 replies, 7479 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

slowrider
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2011-06-15 6:44 PM (#134882)
Subject: Salt Fork State Park, OH

Regular

Has anyone camped and ridden at Salt Fork? We have camped at Beaver Creek, but everyone raves about Salt Fork, so we thought we'd try it this year. When I looked on the web site, it says there are 20 miles of bridle trails. Will there be enough riding for us? We usually ride about 4 hours a day, at a quarter horse pace, and would be there about 4 days. I'd appreciate any information about the trails or the camping.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
rimrockranch
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2011-06-15 9:49 PM (#134887 - in reply to #134882)
Subject: RE: Salt Fork State Park, OH

Salt Fork has about 60 miles of trails, all are well marked. Four trails go out of the camp, the fifth trail is near the main park entrance and I'm not sure if it is connected to the other trails (looking at the map I doubt it). Plenty of trails for a long weekend. The campground has lots of high lines, some shade. Park where you want but the flat spots go fast. There is potable water and latrines.Several County Horse Councils maintain the trails, one has been closed this spring because they haven't been able to clean up the extensive damage that occurred earlier this year.
sdlepalpm
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2011-06-19 8:23 PM (#134975 - in reply to #134887)

Veteran

The trails are on an average of 12 miles long for each one.  The white trail has an extra 12 mile loop so you have a long day in the saddle.  But they are very well maintained and pretty.  They do not over lap so you keep riding or turn around and no riding on the roads.  It is a nice place to camp and you can run to town  at Walmart and dinning if you like.  Since it is a State Park and you pay to camp, you get to use the shower house so that is nice.  Because the campsites are not marked, on weekends someone might park right under your window!  Just hope the Amish are not there when you go, they take over the whole place! I don't mean to sound negative but this has happened several times to us.  It wasn't a pleasant place to stay  and we don't go back as often as we used to.
HorseyHeidi
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2011-06-28 8:44 PM (#135248 - in reply to #134882)

This is my favorite park to ride.  Alot of the trails follow the lake, so the views are beautiful. It has alot of hills, so horses have to be in shape. Its also rocky. Campground is shady & several areas to park. It has alot of places you can get your horses in the water too. Have fun!

slowrider
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2011-06-29 8:55 AM (#135258 - in reply to #134882)

Regular

Thanks all for the info & pictures. We are excited about our trip. We will be going July 5th or 6th & staying until Sunday. If the Amish invade, I will impress them with my knowledge of Dutch phrases (I know 3) and swear words. haha
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)