'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Poll portable corrals

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-03-04 6:39 PM
12 replies, 9768 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ntcowgirl
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-02-28 5:49 PM (#78248)
Subject: portable corrals

Regular

We're in need of something to use when camping... portable corrals, prefer electric...something easy to transport.   Any recommendations, advice, or warnings?

Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Collin
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-02-29 10:43 AM (#78309 - in reply to #78248)
Subject: RE: portable corrals

I use 2 inch electric fence tape, plastic step in poles. Charge the fence with a 12 volt charger. Poles and charger from TSC, tape is left over from fencing my land. Takes up very little room in the trailer.
siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2008-02-29 8:47 PM (#78391 - in reply to #78248)

Extreme Veteran

we use cart a corral from Thunder Storm Ranch. Lite weight, easy setup, and easy to take down when YOU want them down. try; thunderstormranch.com  I think they even have a short video on them.

L8TER GATER... Steve

cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2008-02-29 11:27 PM (#78404 - in reply to #78248)

Extreme Veteran

Yes, I determined that the electric tape with step in posts and battery charger works well for my horse, but not if someone elses horse runs through it getting loose at night.  I ride endurance and decided to buy an aluminum 8 panel round pen, which sets up to a 13' circle, or you can attach to you trailer and have a nice big space for your horse.  It sets up in a few minutes.  I carry them in the first stall, but you could put brackets on the outside of your trailer to carry the corrals. 

The specs are: ·Panels are 6 feet long, 5 feet high,11 pounds·Made of aircraft grade aluminum ·Connect with Velcro for easy setup ·Tack/bucket hook included ·Any panel is a gate ·Connects with other sets or can hook to trailer. ·Breaks down easily and stores just 9 inches deep  

This corral cost me $770 which was expensive for me, but has been worth every penny... I can sleep with both eyes shut no matter where we camp :)  I rationalized that one vet bill for my horse running around at night getting hung up in who knows what, would pay for the dang thing.  I can provide the contact person's name if you are interested.

walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-03-02 6:20 AM (#78453 - in reply to #78248)

Elite Veteran

Please tell us where you purchased your corral.
mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2008-03-03 11:22 AM (#78547 - in reply to #78248)

Elite Veteran

I started out using 12x12 corral panels, carrying them on the side of my stock trailer. Then i moved up to the GN world and surely didn't want to mount them on the side of the trailer. So I bought the Cart A Corral. They are nice but they filled up my rear tack and my horse learned real quick that if i put my head through the pipes I can move it....So the corral now is stored in the shed. I now use electric fencing and love it. Trying to sell the corral now......wanna buy it....lol
kershawsowner
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2008-03-03 6:31 PM (#78571 - in reply to #78248)

Veteran

we made our own out of square pipe tubeing. I wanted something that would slide down in size but would weigh more than the plastic pipe ones...they are 5 and half feet folded in and 11 feet when opened out. so it makes a 11x11 stall..we used 2" and 1and half inch pipe i believe... i thought about building plastic ones and adding water to the poles when set up for extra weight and have a drain plug and let the water out when ready to leave..never got around to testing that idea out... good luck.. happy trails
CJ_Nebraska
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2008-03-03 9:14 PM (#78577 - in reply to #78248)

I bought a portable hot wire corral from a company in Wichita.  It was more than I wanted to spend, but it has held up well.  It has four corner posts with braces, one has a wind-up roll to hold the electric rope.  It then has the little fiberglass posts to support between the main posts.  The charger hangs from the rope and runs off two D cell batteries.  One other thing I really like is that it uses two strands of rope to discourage my horse from trying to go under it.  In my experience it's much better than the "twine" type fencing with wire woven through it - I'm sure due to the larger rope being more visible.  Unless something really spooks them, our horses have respected the hot wire.  My paint will watch though, and as soon as I flip the power off, he will walk right through the fence.  I think it makes a 30x40 pen so there's room for a couple horses if they get along.  There's a pretty good picture of it being used in the mountains in my album on here.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-03-03 10:13 PM (#78581 - in reply to #78248)

Expert

I use HiTies ( if at the trailer ) Highline if camping in the woods at night, Electric fence in the day time. 

We usually pack in a roll of electric string and a bunch of fiberglass rods, String them around the whole meadow and turn our horses out all day.

I've not had a problem with the horses running through the hot wire, But deer and elk are another issue.

Here we have bunch of horses in meadow at almost 11,000 foot. We used two Quarter mile rolls of string and about 40 rods. One end of the corral touched the

lake so the horses could water, one end went through the trees so the horses could have shade or shelter from a storm.

Lynn0202
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-03-03 10:55 PM (#78583 - in reply to #78248)

Veteran

I got these about a year ago.

http://www.c-siron.com/trailpanel.htm

We ordered two sets and they fit perfectly in our first stall with room in the front for more stuff. They are light enough to carry two-four at a time (depending on how manly you're feeling) and set up is a breeze. We haven't had anyone get in or out of them yet and the set up options are near limitless.

cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2008-03-04 12:14 AM (#78586 - in reply to #78453)

Extreme Veteran

Here name is  Carlene Benson, phone:  503-399-1580

email address is :  wcb@threedogsandapony.net

I put a picture of the corral with my horse in it in the photo albums on this website.  Look under cowgirl98034  on the Endurance Ride title.

The corrals are the best!  No big gaping holes they can stick their heads through, easy to put up, lightweight but durable... I'd buy another set in a heartbeat.   You can also order extra panels for bigger space. 

Edited by cowgirl98034 2008-03-04 12:29 AM
CNJ-QHORSES
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-03-04 4:58 AM (#78593 - in reply to #78248)

We bought and use the Grazier horse system portable corral, where we can.  It consists of heavy duty electric cord, fiber glass type corner step in posts, other step in posts, and a winch and pulley system for tightning it when set up.  One person can carry the bag when the system is put up for transport.  It has held up well, bought it several years ago.  Easy to use, transport, set-up and take down. Even when the ground gets hard in summer the poles are easy to drive in.  Cost approximately $550.00.  We have used it at home on occassion as a temporary pasture.  You can make the corrals as big or as small as you like.  We usually split ours in half, even though our two horses are buddies they still are horses and get to fussing sometimes.  With the corrals split, they are less apt to get into trouble and seem perfectly happy side by side.  They have a very healthy respect for the electric cord that is used and never bother it.  You can find the Grazier system on the internet, if you want more info. Yes, it was a little pricey but for us it has been worth it. Good luck in your search
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-03-04 6:39 PM (#78644 - in reply to #78248)

Extreme Veteran

Steve/Sis,

You must of bought the same ones I did, I see they went up in price though. I love mine even picked up two extra panels for mine to make a super duper corral on the side of my trailer when I have the extra camp space.....

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)