'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Weekender trailer plans

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-02-06 7:32 AM
12 replies, 7704 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

hansenshorses
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2009-02-04 8:15 AM (#98773)
Subject: Weekender trailer plans

Regular

I want to make my trailer into a weekender and my hubby can do all the work but I need someone to make up the plans for me. I have been sitting down with graph paper and looked at lots of pics from this site but I think there are people out there that know what is available and have great ideas how to make small spaces work. Where do I look? I know there are conversion places where I could have them design something and then say thanks but we are doing it ourselves but that wouldn't be very nice. Any ideas?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-02-04 8:45 AM (#98775 - in reply to #98773)
Subject: RE: Weekender trailer plans

Expert

Search the HTW site, lots of good info here. Check out the sites I listed below, more good info on how to, and supplys.

http://todd.redwrench.com/index.htm

http://www.pimpmyhorseride.com/

http://www.mrtrailer.com/hosspuller.htm

http://www.lulu.com/content/5523872

http://www.statewidealum.com/

http://www.horsetraileraccessorystore.com/

This site has pictures of finished interiors, and some floor plan drawings.

http://www.longhornconversions.com/

Edited by retento 2009-02-04 11:34 AM
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-02-04 9:27 AM (#98776 - in reply to #98773)

Expert

Just pay one of the conversion companies for their design.

Buy a book on building LQ.  One is available in the advertizing space at the top of this forum. It only $25 or so. Read that and get some ideas.

Stop by your local cabinet shop.  Most cabinet shops have CAD software to design kitchens. Most will do the design work as part of your purchase of their cabinets. Once the cabinets are designed, that would be the bulk of your design.

And you could visit lots of trailers for sale and look at what they have in their LQ. I don't suggest you take up a bunch of dealers/individuals time by having them show their trailer when you have no intention of buying. But you can attend the various Horse Expo's, Congress, Road to the Horse etc where manufactures bring in their trailers and put them on open display. Pay the admission fee to the show and walk through the displays and take pictures, make notes and go home and draw up your plan. Many trailer manufactures have floor plans on their websites. Review those and see which you like.

If your husband has the skills to build it, surely he can sketch out a plan once you have your ideas of what you want.

From this website, I'm sure you wil get comments about I liked this or hated that about our trailer and you can use that advice in designing your own. And maybe somebody here would even offer their services for a fee to draw you a design. But any design would only be a concept as you would have to actualy be looking at the physical trailer to see where the supports are built in, exacty where the windows & doors are located, where the radius or tapers of the trailer start and end. Where existing lights may be and will need to be moved or saved. What structural members can I cut and remove if they are in the way and which ones I should never cut. There are just too many variables for somebody a 1000 miles away to draw you a detailed plan.

Edited by Painted Horse 2009-02-04 9:31 AM
levie
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-02-04 11:10 AM (#98788 - in reply to #98773)

what is your space (what is your short wall) and are you planning on a shower or just a sink and stove? are you having just all elect or are you planning on running lp? If it is just a 4 foot short wall, and depending on were your door is lay everthing with tape out on your trailer floor, find the depth of your cabnets and benches, tape ot the lines and then you will get a better idea of the space you will need to move around. When you draw it on papper it looks great untill you relize you upscaled everything and you cant even turn around in it. believe me I did it on my first couple trailers, now I get a idea and I run out to the trailer with tape, My husband Knowes everytime i get a new trailer he has to buy the big pack of duck tape!!!! Also a good piece of advice is to isulate your floors to many time I have seen people put nice LQs in and you freeze your feet of in winter even with a furnace!!! usualy sink cabnets and stove canets are 21" deep.
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-02-04 2:05 PM (#98799 - in reply to #98773)

Expert

Some people have used cardboard boxes to create their interiors. Measure, cut, fold, tape them together.

One thing I always scratch my head over, are when cabinets are put in the nose. At the "head" of the bed area. And then when the mattress is put in, with the blankets and pillows and stuff - there is no way to open the doors.  Never figured that one out.

Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2009-02-04 2:24 PM (#98802 - in reply to #98773)

Elite Veteran

MIne has nose cabinets and I'm glad to have them.  I have a clothing rod to hold shirts, jackets, etc and several plastic containers that hold riding pants, shorts, socks, etc 

In the morning, I pull out the clothes I need and prop the pillows back up. The mattress is lower than the cabinet door and I only have to move a few pillows. It comes in very handy since I use the other cabinets for towels, food, kitchen supplies, etc

qplady
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2009-02-04 10:32 PM (#98827 - in reply to #98799)

Regular

Not for me, I have big cabinets and extra closet in my nose,,,I sleep from window to window, ( hate sleeping the other way) only way I cant get in is if I pile the front of it full
wendy
qplady
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2009-02-04 10:34 PM (#98828 - in reply to #98773)

Regular

When my husband did mine, he also asked what I wanted, and figured the weight to distribute it on each side, so one side wouldnt be heavier than other

wendy

DD_TrailerMan
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2009-02-05 9:17 AM (#98840 - in reply to #98799)

Veteran

you have good space for the nose cabinets in a full nose.  You lose quite a bit of space using a tapered nose

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-02-05 11:50 AM (#98850 - in reply to #98802)

Expert

Originally written by Dunoir on 2009-02-04 3:24 PM

MIne has nose cabinets and I'm glad to have them.  I have a clothing rod to hold shirts, jackets, etc and several plastic containers that hold riding pants, shorts, socks, etc 

In the morning, I pull out the clothes I need and prop the pillows back up. The mattress is lower than the cabinet door and I only have to move a few pillows. It comes in very handy since I use the other cabinets for towels, food, kitchen supplies, etc

That kind of set up makes sense.

When I was with a GF, she had cabinets on the side walls and in the nose, and we constantly had to pull bedding out of the way - including squishing her foam mattress, to open the doors. Another friend's trailer only barely has clearance under the side cabinets for her mattress. It's super tight once she puts bedding on the mattress.  She bought her trailer with the mattress, but before the interior was done.  I guess when she sent it out for the interior, she didn't send the mattress because it would be in the way.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-02-05 2:47 PM (#98862 - in reply to #98773)

Expert

Looking at factory installations will give you ideas on how much equipment will fit into a given space. You will see similar galley configurations, that maximize utilization of several appliances, within a compact area. Most LQ conversion companies use the same appliances and accessories, so how well they are "packaged" will determine how many will fit into a given space.

As far as the utilization of the front cabinets and the doors interfering with the mattress, that problem is easily solved, whether you are custom building your own cabinets or purchasing premade fronts. If you are custom making your own cabinets, you only have to make the bottom rail a few inches higher than the combination of your mattress and bedding. Then the door bottoms will be clear and not be blocked by the bedding. The inside of the cabinet will be open to the goose floor, and your storage will not be lost.

If you are purchasing premade fronts, again measure the distance from a few inches above the mattress and bedding and the ceiling. Purchase the fronts to those specs. Add a bottom plate to your construction like a toe kick, and again you will eliminate the interference issue with the mattress. The front of the LQ offers a great deal of storage capability, regardless of the trailer's front profile. It's a shame many LQ's do not incorporate this large storage area.

Gard

tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-02-05 3:04 PM (#98864 - in reply to #98773)

Extreme Veteran

Our LQ has a package done by Sierra and we have three closet doors in the nose of our trailer.  We have plenty of clearance when opening the doors even with the bedding on.  I have a couple of big pillows that I move to the side; open up the doors and get what I need.  I guess I take for granted that it just works out.  The only thing I wish conversion companies did differently was arranged the inner cabinet space for maximum storage.  We have a couple of larger cabinets that came without shelves inside that we had to add ourselves.  I am looking into adding some pull-out slider shelves or baskets inside my existing cabinets for added storage.  Something to think about if you are planning you own from scratch.  Good Luck
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2009-02-06 7:32 AM (#98908 - in reply to #98773)

Elite Veteran

Mine has a tapered nose and the 2 nose cabinets are quite large and fairly deep.  I also have a Queen size mattress and space on each side of the mattress for more storage. 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)