'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Titles in Arkansas

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2016-07-04 7:54 PM
25 replies, 31625 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

EDEd
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-15 11:01 PM (#87507)
Subject: Titles in Arkansas

New User

Folks,
I need help from someone knowing Arkansas title laws. We are looking at a trailer and the owner says they only have a "certificate of origin" from the manufacturer. They state that in Arkansas horse trailers do not have to be titled.

Any ideas?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-07-15 11:48 PM (#87509 - in reply to #87507)
Subject: RE: Titles in Arkansas

Expert

A certificate of origin is what you get from the manufacturer when new... the owners have never had this trailer titled, ... when you do, the state keeps the cert. of origin and issues a title.  If there is a license plate on that trailer, and they still have the cert. of origin, then the license plate is not legal for that trailer........there should be a registration certificate that has the VIN # of the trailer and a sticker on it that matches the license plate.  It is possible that the trailer has yet to have a title issued, and there has never been a license plate issued that matches that trailer.  People will do that to avoid paying sales tax on the new trailer.... the person who titles it the first time pays the new cost sales tax on the trailer, if you are not paying them what it cost new, then you could be paying more than your share of sales tax... call your local AR revenue office tomorrow and give them the VIN# or license plate # and ask them to verify... better yet, tell your prospective seller you wish to do this and see how they respond....BTW, trailers have to have a license plate, which requires a title.. if the trailer is homemade, the revenue office issues a homemade Title for same, in order to provide you with a license plate.  Also, the trailer is listed on the tax assessment of the owner.  That is easily verified at the tax assessor's office.   To say that AR does not require a title is an invalid statement.  Don't take their word for this, or mine, for that matter.  A call to the tax assessor and revenue office can provide you with precise data.  We have 7 trailers licensed and titled in Arkansas at the moment...BTW.

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-07-16 12:01 AM (#87510 - in reply to #87507)

Expert

Ask the WI Motor vehicle dept.

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/

The title applications refer to a certificate of origin at the top.

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/forms/mv1.pdf

I had a Certificate of Origin for different vehicles in Virginia, Georgia and North Carolina over the years.  Was easy to title each time.  The dealers do it every day, and charge a "$250 document fee" for my 15 minutes standing in line.

brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-07-16 7:52 AM (#87518 - in reply to #87507)

Flying H is right. If the trailer gets AR highway use, then it MUST have a tag on it. It doesn't have to be a AR tag, but there has to be a tag on it. You are allowed 30 days to get your title & tag work done, then after that , you can get in trouble. If the owner only has a MSO, and has owned the trailer for more than 30 days, he may be a dealer or have a farm  in another state. We have one trailer that is registered in another state, where our other place is.  According to our DMV, that trailer is perfectly legal in AR.

We had the trailer tag stolen off the boat trailer twice in one month! Guess the law must have been checking for trailers with no tags!

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-07-16 9:37 AM (#87530 - in reply to #87518)

Expert

Originally written by brushycreekranch on 2008-07-16 7:52 AM

Flying H is right. If the trailer gets AR highway use, then it MUST have a tag on it. It doesn't have to be a AR tag, but there has to be a tag on it. You are allowed 30 days to get your title & tag work done, then after that , you can get in trouble. If the owner only has a MSO, and has owned the trailer for more than 30 days, he may be a dealer or have a farm  in another state. We have one trailer that is registered in another state, where our other place is.  According to our DMV, that trailer is perfectly legal in AR.

We had the trailer tag stolen off the boat trailer twice in one month! Guess the law must have been checking for trailers with no tags!

Both of these girls are right,however,my local revenue office has always told me that: it is vehicles you have 30 days to tag,trailers are supposed to be tagged if you are using them.They don't mean the day you bring it home,naturally,but,if you start using the trailer,they expect you to have it tagged.

Lots of folks probably don't license them or take an old license plate to avoid paying the sales tax (in AR anything over $1800 I believe,is taxed no matter the age of it) or they don't want to declare it on their property tax assessment.That's OK unless you want to insure it or something happens to it and you try reporting it as stolen,ect.

We buy permanent tags for our trailers here in Ark.Swapping out trailers every year,can get a little pricey as it is higher than renewal every year,but a lot less hassle.I don't know who told you that you don't have to have a title in Arkansas,and don't know if they meant when youwant to tag it or what ?  But,to me,if I don't have a title,I don't own it,someone else does!!!

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2008-07-16 9:40 AM
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-07-16 10:04 AM (#87533 - in reply to #87507)

Maybe the seller has a valid  reason for still having only the MSO. I bought a trailer about 25 years ago, and thought the tag transfered over just like a car. I never looked at the paperwork again until a few years later, when it was time to sell and realized I didn't have a title, just the original MSO. Thank goodness I was living in a state that didn't require horse trailers to be registered. But, I did travel out of state all that time with a tag that was still registered to a previous trailer! It sure could have been bad!

I recently looked at a very large LQ trailer that the buyer never used or titled. It was delivered to their farm and they are so imtimidated by it that they still have not moved it from the spot the transport company dropped it.

I also wanted to add.............Alot of car dealers buy trailers and use them with their "dealer" tags. Even if they buy them new then use them, they could still have the MSO and be perfectly legal. However, they are NOT legal if they put a "dealer" tag on a trailer that is not owned by their dealership. I have friends that call me whenever they see a nice trailer offered up at the car auctions as they prefer to have a place to go with it since they have a car lot and not a trailer lot. I gladly pass the info around to all my buddies that I know are trailer shopping.

Penejoe
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2008-07-16 12:25 PM (#87544 - in reply to #87507)

Regular

I purchased a BP Ponderosa several years ago, drove to Plumerville Ar and picked it up at the factory. All I rec'd from them was a bill of sale. Live in MS and have never had a problem buying a tag for it without a title. (as long as it was never titled)
ilhorsechick33
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-07-16 2:13 PM (#87553 - in reply to #87507)

did anyone mention anything about a home made or a shop built title for horse trailers.  This is also possible to get a horse trailer titled as home made. 
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-07-16 10:46 PM (#87579 - in reply to #87544)

Expert

Originally written by Penejoe on 2008-07-16 12:25 PM

I purchased a BP Ponderosa several years ago, drove to Plumerville Ar and picked it up at the factory. All I rec'd from them was a bill of sale. Live in MS and have never had a problem buying a tag for it without a title. (as long as it was never titled)

That's because you had a bill of sale from the trailer manufacturer  and the trailer had no record of ever having been titled to anyone.It was "new out from dealer" on the title/registration more than likely.

People go around all the time here with swapped out tags,trailers in other people's names,ect.And like I said,it's fine unless you have it insured and something happens to it and you try to collect,or,it gets stolen and you report it as such.Or you are in an accident with it.I know a lot of folks that get by with doing that kind of thing here,so they don't pay property taxes on it yearly.But I'd get caught first time I tried anything like that.So I don't.

okiegirl
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-16 11:19 PM (#87582 - in reply to #87507)

New User

As has been previously stated, you should contact your state agency to see what the laws concerning tagging & titling of trailers are in your state.  Just for future reference, currently in OK, trailers are not required to be tagged or titled unless they are commercial trailers.  In some cases, depending on which tag agency you go to, it is almost impossible to get a horse trailer tagged.  I have always recommended to my customers that they tag & title their trailers if they travel out of state so that they are in compliance with the laws in other states.  This just saves them trouble when hauling out of state.  Trailers in OK can be bought & sold on a Bill of Sale.  These can then be used to get a title.  If the previous owner has not titled the trailer, they can sell it on a Bill of Sale and give that along with the original MSO or MCO, (if they still have it) to the new owner.  If titling trailers is not a law in AR, possibly the trailer owner is planning to do this when they sell the trailer, as they cannot re-assign a MSO or MCO unless they are a dealer.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-07-17 9:11 AM (#87603 - in reply to #87507)

Expert

Tagging trailers is the law in AR.  The purpose is probably multi-fold.  To collect sales tax, and personal property tax, also should you be involved in a highway incident, the LE will verify the trailer tag matches the trailer.  Tagging in AR also provides a title to the owner as proof of ownership.  Good luck with your transaction..

Edited by flyinghfarm 2008-07-17 9:12 AM
kathysrogers
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2008-07-17 10:28 AM (#87607 - in reply to #87507)

If he has only the original MSO, more than likely he has never paid the sales tax or personal property tax on the trailer. He will need to take this in and pay the costs, (sales tax on original cost of trailer, property tax - most states go back three years on property tax) a title will be issued in his name which he then can transfer to you.
Penejoe
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2008-07-17 12:05 PM (#87615 - in reply to #87507)

Regular

I don't understand the connection everyone is making with titling trailers, paying taxes and tagging them. As I stated before if you purchase a trailer that was never titled by the manufacturer why go to all
the trouble of getting it titled! I have a bill of sale that states that the trailer is mine I registered it and it has a legal tag on it(renewed every year).Why would Ponderosa trailers sell me a trailer without it being titled if is is required in Arkansas.....
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-07-17 5:11 PM (#87651 - in reply to #87615)

Expert

They sold you a trailer that wasn't titled because: a trailer manufacturer or dealer doesn't title a trailer that is new to begin with.YOU were the one to have the original title issued by the state as the first owner of the trailer.Your bill of sale was your certificate of origin from Ponderosa.

The "connection" that you refer to that we're making with titles,paying taxes,and tagging them isn't notions or flights of fancy that we are dreaming up.We live in Arkansas,all 3 of us myself,flying farm,and brushycreekranch,have bought,sold,titled,insured,tagged and paid taxes on multiple trailers.It is the LAW that we're talking about,not what somebody feels like doing or doesn't.

Since you live in MS,do you yourself proclaim to know the laws of Arkansas better than we do? Sounds like it.

classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-07-17 9:11 PM (#87659 - in reply to #87507)

Veteran

In MO you cannot get a legal license plate until you have the trailer or vehicle etc titled after you pay sales tax and you have to show prin your name. The dealer where we bought our lq trailer last year in Texas, told us you would be surprised of the people that come in to trade and don't have a title. He says he cannot take the trailer in as trade until they get a title. We were recently looking at a trailer for sale in KS. The guy did not have a title and he was the third owner. He said the trailer never was titled. We backed out and he did end up selling it to someone that bought it without a title. Are there some states where you do not have to title a trailer or have to purchase a license plate for one? I heard OK was one but that is heresay.

Edited by classygirl98 2008-07-17 10:05 PM
luckeys71
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2008-07-17 10:00 PM (#87660 - in reply to #87507)

Regular

I have seen numerous trailers on eBay listed as "No Title, but sold with Bill Of Sale, as my state, XYZ doesn't require it".  I was interested in one, so I contacted my DMV(VA-trailers must be titled, registered, tagged, and inspected yearly here) to see if I could title and register it in VA with just a Bill of Sale from another state that did not require registering and was told , "No, it must have a title," so obviously none of those trailers make a blip on my radar, anymore.  The trailer I did buy IS titled in VA as "Homemade", when it is obviously not.  You can even see where the manufacturer's tag USED to be.  I was told the title had been lost by a previous owner, so that was what they had to do to get it titled and registered in VA.  I don't know what all that requires.  It does have a plate attached to it with a VA issued VIN.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-07-18 12:09 AM (#87666 - in reply to #87507)

Expert

When I bought my trailer (used) in TX the dealer asked if I wanted a title and wanted to know if our bank was going to require one.   I thought that it was a silly quiestion and told them I wanted a title.  Here in NM I was told by the DMV that farm trailers don't require  tags unless you leave the state.  I prefer to have the tags because you never know when you may have to go out of state. 
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-07-18 7:23 AM (#87673 - in reply to #87507)

Oklahoma does not title horse trailers. In fact, the only way to get a title on a horse trailer in Oklahoma is to apply as a commercial trailer, which gives you a non expiring tag, that is commercial. Now to make even less sense, my kawasaki mule, ez-go golf cart, and my son's dirt bike all have oklahoma titles.
barrels17
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-27 1:49 PM (#102233 - in reply to #87507)

New User

Hi,

I was wondering how to get a title for  a used horse trailer? I bought the horse trailer in Alabama and there you didn't need titles and the owner who sold it to me lost it, so I really didn't worry about it.  It's an old WW like 1982, and I was wondering maybe if I can go online to WW website to get one or not?

barry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-03-30 10:50 AM (#102425 - in reply to #87507)

Veteran

When I moved from Oklahom to Missouri I had a trailer that was never titled in OK as other posters said. MO requires a title and tag. I had to have a state police officer come to my house and run a stolen vehicle report and give me a form to take to the title office. Then MO issued a NEW MO title to me.On another occasion I participated in a purchase of a used and untagged MO trailer that the owner gave me a bill of sale for but said it did not have a title. At the title office when the VIN number was run it was determined to have at one time been titled so I could not title it becuase it could appear as if I had stolen it. Long story . . . part of a divorce issue and spouse would not sign the title to the other spouse said it didn't have one.I am holding an MSO right now on a trailer I bought from a HTW dealer. The back is endorsed to me. So I can title it. I am unsure what the the title office would require if I was trying to title a trailer with an MSO made out to someone else.Buyer Beware!
RetiredLegal
Reg. Jun 2016
Posted 2016-06-13 2:02 PM (#167297 - in reply to #87507)

New User

Titles are required only for motors and motorized vehicles in Arkansas.....Trailers are required to be registered but not titled. If you buy a boat motor and trailer, the only thing titled is the motor, the boat and trailer is registered but not required to have a title.
DLD
Reg. Sep 2012
Posted 2016-06-13 3:58 PM (#167298 - in reply to #87507)

Not sure if we're doing it right, but our tag agent (in OK) farm tags our trailers off the Certifcate of Origin. I've tagged several trailers this way, because we do occasionally travel out of state with them. If the bank has a lien, they file it with the county. Our insurance agent adds them to our farm policy, and assures me that they are covered on the road by our farm fleet auto policy. When I sell or trade, I just pass along the Certifcate of Origin - the dealers don't seem to mind and individual buyers have never cared, because hardly anybody in OK tags a farm trailer. Costs $7 a year, renewable annually, and there's no late fee if you go past.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2016-06-14 12:20 AM (#167308 - in reply to #167297)

Expert

Originally written by RetiredLegal on 2016-06-13 2:02 PM

Titles are required only for motors and motorized vehicles in Arkansas.....Trailers are required to be registered but not titled. If you buy a boat motor and trailer, the only thing titled is the motor, the boat and trailer is registered but not required to have a title.
I've never bought a trailer that i registered and tagged in this state that I did not either get the title issued from the DMV if it was new or take a title in and have it out in our name.if it's not required ok but I sure have had one for all 14 that I've bought,sold,and now own.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2016-06-14 1:40 PM (#167319 - in reply to #167308)

Expert

You're talking about boats.Horse trailers are titled in the state of Arkansas.
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2016-07-04 9:35 AM (#167450 - in reply to #87507)

Extreme Veteran

I bought a 3 horse bumper pull in AR about six months ago. It did not have a title or registration from anywhere that the Revuene Office could find. I ended up getting a bonded title on it. I got the paperwork from the revenue office. It required the previous owner signuture, a serial number inspection signed off by the local police, along with a Bond. I got the Bond, which cost me a $100 from my insurance company. The state came back with a request for two value estimates, which I got from a local trailer dealer and the local Ford Dealer. After 3 years I will get a regular title on it from the state. The whole process took me around 3 weeks, and only required about 3 hours of my time to get I it done. Well worth the effort for the trailer I got.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)