'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Sundowner Trailer Safety

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-11-08 11:00 AM
35 replies, 11112 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

kmartin
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-10-31 2:15 PM (#70278)
Subject: Sundowner Trailer Safety

Hi! My name is Kim Martin. Working in the horse and cattle industry has been my life.

I grew up on a horse farm. I have always been working, showing, racing, and riding horses for as long as I can remember. I owned and ran a dairy farm for thirteen years, too!

My horse experience includes training, World's show groomer, being a jockey, being a contracted youth rider for the Quarter Horse association, managing one of the largest Arabian racing farms in the country, working for a rodeo association, managing one of the top Warmblood Farms in the country, and managing one of the largest trail ranches in Wisconsin...to name a few!

Now I'm on the other side of the fence due to injury, by helping people, just like you, find the trailer that fits your needs and budget. I would love to meet you and help get into your dream trailer.

I'm here to answer questions on trailer safety and concerns you may have!

Edited by kmartin 2007-10-31 2:20 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-11-02 9:53 PM (#70407 - in reply to #70278)
Subject: RE: Sundowner Trailer Safety

Expert

Thank you  any information is good keep 
kmartin
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-11-03 9:08 AM (#70423 - in reply to #70278)

Safety by Design - Designed throughout for the safety of the owners and their horses... full height cam latch, encased and recessed horse vents, telescoping rear divider, padded dividers, aluminum drop down face guards, smooth finish double face head and shoulder dividers, automotive strength divider latch, padded butt bar, heavy duty door hold backs, recessed light switches, triple wall and slant walls.

Feel free to ask any questions or concerns you may have!

kmartin
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-11-06 12:14 PM (#70555 - in reply to #70278)

Under the thick, comfortable rubber mat that your horse stands on is a tough interlocking aluminum floor structure. The extruded planks provide added strength to prevent the dips and waves sometimes seen in other floors after a few years.
Your horse rides comfortably in a spacious 42" stall, the largest standard stall in the industry. It stands protected between padded dividers, another standard feature which also helps prevent discoloration on light colored horses.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-11-06 12:20 PM (#70557 - in reply to #70555)

Expert

I suppose I'm correct to assume by your thread title that this IS a Sundowner trailer you are promoting?
Duckman
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-11-06 1:07 PM (#70561 - in reply to #70278)

Veteran

Please talk to Dave M. about paying $ for advertising on this site. This is too unprofessional, especially for a Sundowner salesperson.
ggrimm01
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2007-11-06 1:12 PM (#70562 - in reply to #70278)

Regular

This is what advertising on this site is for.   If this person gets away with it, then the whole forum will explode into this type of ranting and raving for each type of trailer manufacter.

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-11-06 1:32 PM (#70563 - in reply to #70278)

Elite Veteran

Kim Martin of Sweetwater Tennessee, I can almost assuredly say I will never buy a trailer from you.   Like others have said, pay for your advertising, don't abuse a chat forum.  There are lots of trailer dealers and salespeople on this forum that respect the rules and they are the ones that will earn my business. 
kmartin
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-11-06 3:26 PM (#70567 - in reply to #70278)

I sent the following message to the moderator myself......Sorry if this upset anyone....it wasn't meant to advertise.....most of the issues I deal with is safety....I thought a thread with a discussion started would be nice.

I did not know that I could not discuss trailer safety on a thread....please delete this thread...I do not want to get anyone upset.....I just opened it to discuss different trailers and their safety....good or bad.  Thank you.....and I'm sorry....I didn't mean for this to be advertisement....if people think that, than I'm sorry.

kmartin
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-11-06 3:28 PM (#70568 - in reply to #70563)

We do pay to advertise........ and a discussion on trailer safety is not advertisment....it's something that all horse people are concerned about.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-11-06 3:33 PM (#70569 - in reply to #70278)

Expert

So why is this thread entitled " Sundowner trailer safety?"

I don't care if you're trying to sell something just be honest about it.

kmartin
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-11-06 3:58 PM (#70573 - in reply to #70278)

Because I figured it would start other people talking about the flaws they have noticed....in their trailer.....the more feedback we get the better and safer all horses are in any trailer!
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-11-06 4:06 PM (#70576 - in reply to #70555)

Expert

Originally written by kmartin on 2007-11-06 12:14 PM

Under the thick, comfortable rubber mat that your horse stands on is a tough interlocking aluminum floor structure. The extruded planks provide added strength to prevent the dips and waves sometimes seen in other floors after a few years.
Your horse rides comfortably in a spacious 42" stall, the largest standard stall in the industry. It stands protected between padded dividers, another standard feature which also helps prevent discoloration on light colored horses.

It would be nice, if your dividers went all the way to the floor, so the horses don't step on each other...

trailridingal
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2007-11-06 6:03 PM (#70582 - in reply to #70278)

You can get a full stud devider or even a partial one that goes from the devider to the floor.....that's what I have ....I have a 3 horse and most of the time only haul 2....so I like to use the front stall for carrying hay and extra supplies.......it works great as a midtack and it's cheaper than buying one with a midtack.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-11-06 8:36 PM (#70592 - in reply to #70567)

Expert

Originally written by kmartin on 2007-11-06 3:26 PM

I sent the following message to the moderator myself......Sorry if this upset anyone....it wasn't meant to advertise.....most of the issues I deal with is safety....I thought a thread with a discussion started would be nice.

I did not know that I could not discuss trailer safety on a thread....please delete this thread...I do not want to get anyone upset.....I just opened it to discuss different trailers and their safety....good or bad.  Thank you.....and I'm sorry....I didn't mean for this to be advertisement....if people think that, than I'm sorry.

Sorry,I was not trying to get you "in trouble." I was just wondering if it was Sundowner trailers,is all.Didn't mean to get something else started.

Doesn't matter to me if you're selling them on here,or not,I'm not the "Ad police"

IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-11-06 9:22 PM (#70593 - in reply to #70573)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by kmartin on 2007-11-06 3:58 PM

Because I figured it would start other people talking about the flaws they have noticed....in their trailer.....the more feedback we get the better and safer all horses are in any trailer!
Okay...I'll bite. I have a 2007 Sunlite 2 horse BP. Front stall has escape door with drop down window. Here's the deal...and it's a HUGE safety issue for me. Why are the pull down rings (handles) on the metal grates designed to be easily open by a horse's nose????????????Every damm time I put my horse in the front stall, he rubs his nose on that ring and unlatches the drop door grate and then pops his head out. Causing me to pull over, walk back to my trailer and relatch the drop door grate.SO......WHAT CAN I DO TO PREVENT THIS? And please don't tell me to keep my drop down window closed. The is NOT an opition on hot days when hauling an Icelandic Horse.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-11-07 12:50 AM (#70601 - in reply to #70593)

Expert

You need to buy dumber horses...

Not those Icelandic smarties...

kmartin
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-11-07 8:18 AM (#70608 - in reply to #70278)

That's too funny.....I have never thought about that....I guess a smaller horse could get in there and do that.....I wonder that if they put a cross member in that loop if it would fix the problem for you....then your horse couldn't get their nose in the handle as easy. Is it just one horse that does that all the time or do all of them do it?  If it's just one I bet he's always getting into stuff.....my daughter has a horse that does things like that.....he's always curious about things like that.
happyrider929
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-11-07 9:27 AM (#70613 - in reply to #70278)

Regular

When I was recently trailer shopping, I looked for months at many brands of trailer, including Sundowner. I was shopping for a 3H slant, and one of the biggest turnoffs was at the rear of the trailer. The width of the horse opening seemed small and uninviting, and the angle of the rear tack made it feel like you were walking into a tunnel. Plus, the rear tack formed such a corner, that it seemed like a good place for a person to get pinned. I looked at this specifically after a friend told me about her horse becoming a hard loader on her Sundowner; he didn't like that "tunnel" either. I know that the rear tack has to be that big to accommodate that swing out saddle rack system, but I didn't like that either. I would rather have a fixed saddle rack and a more inviting opening for the horses. I ended up with a 4-Star, which I have already put a couple thousand miles on, and couldn't be happier. Although mine has 50/50 rear entry, the rear tack is angled much differently which provides for a much safer, more inviting loading situation. The stalls are roomy, the latches are beefy and user friendly, the hinges and welds are stout, the floor is marine-grade and sealed with WERM, lots of padding, low position latches on the drops, and overall, the trailer is just built like a tank. I have yet to find anything that is a safety issue on this trailer.
kmartin
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-11-07 11:13 AM (#70617 - in reply to #70278)

That's why Sundowner has this option....No rear center post construction provides a totally open loading area in a matter of seconds with a collapsible rear tack. Operate the user-friendly feature with a horse in your hand, also when you go into a Living Quarters....Sundowner has made a larger Rear Tack to compensate for buckets...and more tack area...50".....cause you loose the storage in the dress.  Also if your loading and worry about getting pinned...it's best to do the collapse anyhow......I see where your coming from...I have a 4 year old that's 16.2 hands and I have to collapse the tack for loading and unloading, he just don't like to back out of a trailer and it's much easier to just turn him around and let him walk out.
happyrider929
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-11-07 11:21 AM (#70618 - in reply to #70278)

Regular

I understand that the rear tack is easy to collapse (it is easy on the 4-Star, too), but I haul several times a week and honestly don't want to hassle with that. Plus, if you have all this stuff (buckets and such) in your rear tack, then you can't collapse it without removing stuff.
trailridingal
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2007-11-07 11:29 AM (#70621 - in reply to #70278)

I would think your trailer wall wold be more of a chance to get pinched than the Sundowner....it's more angled and not a boxed in feeling....where your tying your horse....it's slanted more....and you have a larger exit....a 60/40 is much larger than a 50/50 when it comes to an accident waiting to happen in the trailer.
happyrider929
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-11-07 12:39 PM (#70625 - in reply to #70278)

Regular

The angle of my rear tack is MUCH "shallower" than the Sundowners that I looked at, all of which also had 50/50 rear doors. I never feel trapped or crowded loading into my 4-Star, and I've never had a orse so much as hesitate to get on it. The opening is just much more inviting.
trailridingal
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2007-11-07 2:13 PM (#70628 - in reply to #70278)

YOur right they do have 50/50 doors....I was thinking about that Cherokee trailer I use to own.....it had 60/40 but the rear tack didn't collapse and it had a full permanent post.....with the Sundowner now it's just with the deeper rear tack...I mean there's no place to get pinched cause the trailer doesn't let you get in that position.....also I really like having that deeper rear tack.....I have extra bridle hooks in mine and my buckets get hung......so I can still open the rear tack up quite a ways without having to remove them.....it works great for me.
trailridingal
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2007-11-07 2:14 PM (#70629 - in reply to #70278)

Isn't it funny that we all see different obstacles but all trailers have their pro's and con's!!!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)