'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
hay rack for horse trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-01-12 3:27 PM
14 replies, 40111 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Jiterbug
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2006-04-20 5:04 PM (#40751)
Subject: hay rack for horse trailer

I'd like to find a hay rack and ladder to put on my trailer.
Any suggestions? Dealers, What do they run?
I'd even be open to having one made if any one has experiance or a pattern for them?
Thanks~
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
cowboyscash
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-04-21 12:33 AM (#40769 - in reply to #40751)
Subject: RE: hay rack for horse trailer

I just went through this my self dealers want $1000 to 2000 installedI found a local metal fab shop to do it for $1000. The problem is even if you find some one on the net you still have to pay frieght and instalation fees.
Jiterbug
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2006-04-21 9:43 AM (#40779 - in reply to #40751)

I work for a place that has a water jet and does metal fabractions,
If I could find a pattern for them to build off of, that would be really helpful.
AZPenner
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-04-21 12:46 PM (#40791 - in reply to #40751)

Regular

Try this place. Look under "Livestock Trailers"

http://www.statewidealum.com/

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-04-21 5:51 PM (#40805 - in reply to #40791)

Expert

Hey!  Thanks for the link.  They have the battery rack I've been looking for.
Dan Mefford
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-02-29 2:26 PM (#78350 - in reply to #40751)

Spirit Industries, Inc., has developed a modular hay rack for the top of horse trailers.  You can see our HayRak ad in Western Horseman Magazine on page 77.  We also have a website at http://www.hayrak.com/.  You may contact us toll free at 866-926-1117.  We would be happy to discuss your needs with you. 

Our HayRak is available in 9 different sizes.  We use a universal mounting system, which is designed to fit any width trailer from 6' to 8'2" and the components are completely adjustable.  Our product is built strong and durable.  It is specially designed with high tech, high temper super aluminum alloys.  Our system transfers the weight of the load to the side walls - providing a sturdy storage area for your extra cargo allowing you to transport everything you need for the trip such as feed, a generator, water and other supplies.

HayRak comes with a ladder, but you may also special order a custom-made RV ladder for an additional cost.

We look forward to hearing from you in order to discuss this further.  Your business is important to us. 

Dan

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-02-29 5:51 PM (#78380 - in reply to #78350)

Expert

Originally written by Dan Mefford on 2008-02-29 3:26 PM

Spirit Industries, Inc., has developed a modular hay rack for the top of horse trailers.  You can see our HayRak ad in Western Horseman Magazine on page 77.  We also have a website at http://www.hayrak.com/.  You may contact us toll free at 866-926-1117.  We would be happy to discuss your needs with you. 

Our HayRak is available in 9 different sizes.  We use a universal mounting system, which is designed to fit any width trailer from 6' to 8'2" and the components are completely adjustable.  Our product is built strong and durable.  It is specially designed with high tech, high temper super aluminum alloys.  Our system transfers the weight of the load to the side walls - providing a sturdy storage area for your extra cargo allowing you to transport everything you need for the trip such as feed, a generator, water and other supplies.

HayRak comes with a ladder, but you may also special order a custom-made RV ladder for an additional cost.

We look forward to hearing from you in order to discuss this further.  Your business is important to us. 

Dan

Looks nice...What kind of max loading weights do you project for your system?

Just out of curiosity, do you know if manufacturers change the way they build their trailers roof segment, wall units and floor units, depending on if they are going to install a hay rack or not?

Edited by PaulChristenson 2008-02-29 5:54 PM
Dan Mefford
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-03-04 6:16 AM (#78595 - in reply to #40751)

Looks nice...What kind of max loading weights do you project for your system?

We restrict the weight to 400 lbs per mounting bracket.  There are a minumum of 2 brackets with every HayRak, the longer HayRaks have 3 mounting brackets.  This would be 800lbs and 1200lbs respectively.  We recommend that this load be spread out over the system and not placed all in one area.  If used with hay or 'lay down' water tank or RV genset this works out well.  The system hold more but the problem is when in motion the vehicle will hit bumps in the road that will momentarily increase the effective mass to several times the recommended maximum.  That is where the "rubber" meets the road.  You do not want a failure while in transit!  This much weight will let you carry a ly down tank of water, several bales of hay, and a generator, plus the lawn chairs and other light weight but bulky items.

Dan Mefford
http://www.hayrak.com/

Edited by Dan Mefford 2008-03-04 6:40 AM
Dan Mefford
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-03-04 6:36 AM (#78596 - in reply to #78380)

Originally written by PaulChristenson on 2008-02-29 5:51 PM

Just out of curiosity, do you know if manufacturers change the way they build their trailers roof segment, wall units and floor units, depending on if they are going to install a hay rack or not?

I couldn't presume to speak for the trailer manufacturing folks, however I can make some comments based on my observations.

The roofs of most horse and livestock trailers are made for snow load plus a "little weight", but not much more. Trailer manufacturers generally DO NOT recommend walking around on the roof on regular basis.  In essence the weight from a factory installed hay rack on most trailers that I have observed is transferred through the roof to the walls then the roof 'hole' is closed with weld to prevent leaks.

As to changing floor or wall design to allow for a factory installed hay rack, I have never observed any visible changes in structural design to allow for this.  Again I would not presume to answer for any particular manufacturer. That would have to be addressed to them directly.

Our system was developed because my family could not find a readily available hay rack to put on our trailer.  I was really tired of wrapping my hay up in tarps and stuffing it in the tack room and getting hay chaff all over the back of my truck and in the trailer.  I searched the internet for a solution. I called dealers and everything was welded in one piece and shipped that way then still had to be custom installed.  OR I could pay someone locally to fabricate one.  The aluminum in small amounts was $10 per pound!!!!!  I have been a designer and tinkerer for years and realized that there was a gap that needed to be filled so I designed it in 3D CAD, pursued a patent, and we now find that we are not alone -- Other people want a HayRak that solves the same problem at a reasonable price. 

The response to the HayRak has been very gratifying indeed.

Dan Mefford
HayRak.com

Edited by Dan Mefford 2008-03-04 6:45 AM
Dan Mefford
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-03-04 6:47 AM (#78597 - in reply to #78596)

Originally written by PaulChristenson on 2008-02-29 5:51 PM

I couldn't presume to speak for the trailer manufacturing folks, however I can make some comments based on my observations.

The roofs of most horse and livestock trailers are made for snow load plus a "little weight", but not much more. Trailer manufacturers generally DO NOT recommend walking around on the roof on regular basis.  In essence the weight from a factory installed hay rack on most trailers that I have observed is transferred through the roof to the walls then the roof 'hole' is closed with weld to prevent leaks.

As to changing floor or wall design to allow for a factory installed hay rack, I have never observed any visible changes in structural design to allow for this.  Again I would not presume to answer for any particular manufacturer. That would have to be addressed to them directly.

Our system was developed because my family could not find a readily available hay rack to put on our trailer.  I was really tired of wrapping my hay up in tarps and stuffing it in the tack room and getting hay chaff all over the back of my truck and in the trailer.  I searched the internet for a solution. I called dealers and everything was welded in one piece and shipped that way then still had to be custom installed.  OR I could pay someone locally to fabricate one.  Or I could build it myself (I am capable)!  The aluminum in small amounts was $10 per pound!!!!!  I have been a designer and tinkerer for years and realized that there was a gap that needed to be filled so I designed it in 3D CAD, pursued a patent, and we now find that we are not alone -- Other people want a HayRak that solves the same problem at a reasonable price. 

The response to the HayRak has been very gratifying indeed.

Dan Mefford
HayRak.com

Edited by Dan Mefford 2008-03-04 6:49 AM
Duckman
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-03-04 2:30 PM (#78636 - in reply to #40751)

Veteran

I bought a Platinum (horse trailer) hayrack for $650 w/ladder. It cost $150 to install.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-03-04 11:26 PM (#78667 - in reply to #40751)

Expert

Dan...thanks for the information...I'll be steering people your way this show season, if someone decides to shop for a hayrack...
MrTruck
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-03-08 12:19 AM (#78982 - in reply to #40751)

Elite Veteran

We'll have a HayRak in our horse expo tour which starts next week at the Rocky Mountain Horse Expo in Denver CO. So stand by for pictures next week or come by the expo's and see for yourself. In April we'll be in Columbus Ohio for the Equine Affaire. June in Sacremento CA. With reports and pictures here from each one.

classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-03-08 9:06 AM (#78996 - in reply to #40751)

Veteran

When we bought our lq trailer last year, we wanted a hay rack added. The dealer had a used one that they had taken off a bloomer trailer. They added white skin to cover the bloomer graphics and added it to the trailer.(we bought a featherlite). It looks great but we havent used it yet. I cannot remember the cost but it was reasonable.
Wingnut1
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-01-12 3:27 PM (#97361 - in reply to #78636)

New User

Where did you find that?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'