'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Best Quality Trailer Tires HELP

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2024-03-12 8:41 AM
1 replies, 549 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

briggsbay
Reg. Oct 2013
Posted 2024-03-11 8:08 PM (#185697)
Subject: Best Quality Trailer Tires HELP

First, thank you for your time. I have a 2020 Cimarron 4H LQ, and I want to replace the original Westlake tires, because we are going to put 7500+ miles on it in April - literally driving from coast to coast. I originally wanted Michelins or Goodyear, but cannot find them in the size I need : 235/75R/17.5 . Apparently, not a lot of tires come in 17.5. My local tire dealer wants to sell me Toyo tires - which are expensive, but are they high quality? Are Westlake tires high quality? I have a headache from trying to figure this out. I am not as concerned with cost as I am with Quality. One tire dealer wants to sell me Hercules 18 ply tires, which I know are overkill, but does 18ply make for a rougher ride? Is there a drawback to an 18 ply vs 14 ply? Again, thank you so much for your time.

Wendy
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2024-03-12 8:41 AM (#185698 - in reply to #185697)
Subject: RE: Best Quality Trailer Tires HELP

Elite Veteran

As you note, there aren't a lot of options in a straight tread 235/75R17.5 tire. Both the ones you mentioned are good products. I suspect you'll have no choice as to load range as most mfg only make one it seems. I see that the Goodyear in that size only comes in a "H" at 112 PSI. The Cooper is showing as a 18 PR (so a J) at 125 PSI. The air carries the weight- so technically one should inflate enough to carry the actual measured load. Over inflation for the weight does stiffen the ride, as well as making it harder for the sidewall to absorb impacts. You can see the load chart here-

https://commercial.bridgestone.com/content/dam/commercial/bridgestone/pdfs/l-and-i-tables/Bridgestone-TBR-Load-And-Inflation-Tables.pdf

If I had a local dealer I used, and he had Toyo, I believe I'd take him up on those. If it is the M 1430, that will be a good tread pattern for a trailer tire. 
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)