'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Manual Braking Trailer while pulling with tractor

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2023-08-08 7:28 AM
4 replies, 850 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

adeberti
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2023-07-20 11:49 AM (#185604)
Subject: Manual Braking Trailer while pulling with tractor

Veteran

Hi,

planning on moving a few small BP trailers with the 3PT hitch (Dump trailer, stock trailer and travel trailer) on a 25hp compact  tractor (3500lbs weight): this would just be to park them in tight spots in a more efficient manner compared to a longer wheelbase truck (with a worse turning radius as well)

I don't have a trailer/brake connector on the tractor, is there a cheap/relaible way to actuate the trailer brakes from the tractor with some sort of extension cord and manual trigger?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2023-07-21 1:45 PM (#185605 - in reply to #185604)
Subject: RE: Manual Braking Trailer while pulling with tractor

Elite Veteran

I am sure it can be done. But I wouldn't worry about it. Trailer dealerships & mfg do that very thing every day with no connections at all. If you are on steep hills and/or loaded trailers I might reconsider. But it is very commonly done with no brakes.  
HOUSE
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2023-07-25 9:29 AM (#185609 - in reply to #185604)
Subject: RE: safty hitch system

Veteran

you could always use a piece of cord to pull the brake away cable as an oh crap! Emergency brake. 
Amorallity
Reg. Jan 2020
Posted 2023-07-31 12:25 AM (#185613 - in reply to #185604)

New User

First off, I've got to say, that's some smart thinking! Using your 3PT hitch to maneuver those small BP trailers with your compact tractor sounds like a nifty way to park them in tight spots more efficiently. Plus, the improved turning radius is a definite bonus!

Now, regarding the trailer brake situation, it's essential to ensure safety while moving those trailers around. While I'm not an expert, I think it's possible to find a solution that suits your needs. You might want to check out machinerydealer.co.uk for possible options.
Amorallity
Reg. Jan 2020
Posted 2023-08-08 7:28 AM (#185619 - in reply to #185613)

New User

Amorallity - 2023-07-31 12:25 AM First off, I've got to say, that's some smart thinking! Using your 3PT hitch to maneuver those small BP trailers with your compact tractor sounds like a nifty way to park them in tight spots more efficiently. Plus, the improved turning radius is a definite bonus! Now, regarding the trailer brake situation, it's essential to ensure safety while moving those trailers around. While I'm not an expert, I think it's possible to find a solution that suits your needs. You might want to check out machinerydealer.co.uk for possible options.

One more idea that comes to mind is using a manual brake controller or a mechanical brake actuator. Some trailers come with a hand-operated brake lever, allowing you to control the brakes manually. You could potentially use an extension cord or some sort of linkage to connect it to your tractor's hitch, giving you control over the trailer brakes while you're on the move.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)