'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Horse trailer upgrade, truck upgrade or ?? Too many options.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2023-06-08 10:37 AM
2 replies, 709 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

bazman82
Reg. Sep 2019
Posted 2023-06-06 11:29 AM (#185574)
Subject: Horse trailer upgrade, truck upgrade or ?? Too many options.

We have a 2003 Keifer genesis4 (could be wrong on the number). It is a weekend package so the interior is bare. Cabinets on the door side and a small closet on the long wall. We have cot bunks set up on the long wall for the kids. We were looking into options for upgrading to a living quarters trailer, still 4 horse but the weights of those are too much for our 2015 silverado 2500. (14500 gooseneck towing capacity). The max weight for our Keifer has 10.8k on the tag. The box of the trailer is 24' in length and is only 7.6' wide. Space wise, there is plenty and there is nothing but 2 cot bunks in the way of a slide out. I just don't know the cost of having one installed. I am sure the axles and tires would need upgraded among other things but it has to be significantly cheaper than the 80k trailers we saw that were 9k weight dry. Or, the cost of a 3500 diesel + trailer.

We had the Keifer for about 12 years now and love the trailer so we don't mind having to do some upgrades to it knowing that it is already really light and basically a blank slate to work with. The slide out we would use to have bunks installed in. More space in the trailer and more comfort.

Pictures of our trailer is in my albums. It wouldn't let me put the pictures here as the files were too big.

Edited by bazman82 2023-06-06 11:38 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2023-06-08 8:45 AM (#185577 - in reply to #185574)
Subject: RE: Horse trailer upgrade, truck upgrade or ?? Too many options.

Elite Veteran

To add a slideout to a Kiefer like that will require a lot of structural reinforcements. That model wasn't partucularly strong to begin with, and cutting a large hole in the side is going to cause issues. With enough time & money, anything is possible, but I'd reconsider that kind of an investment in the trailer. Just my opinion. 
bazman82
Reg. Sep 2019
Posted 2023-06-08 10:37 AM (#185578 - in reply to #185574)
Subject: RE: Horse trailer upgrade, truck upgrade or ?? Too many options.

That seems to be the consensus. Looks like we will just add a window to the long wall and a small window on the shortwall.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)