'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
CDL Requirements for Hauling your horses.

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2016-11-14 4:13 PM
78 replies, 45532 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

doughbelly
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2011-08-01 7:34 PM (#136331 - in reply to #136202)
Subject: RE: CDL Requirements for Hauling your horses.

Veteran

To some it might not be a big deal; but to those of us that may haul a load of hay2 to 15 miles 6 to 10 trips a year it would be a PIA

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2011-08-01 9:33 PM (#136337 - in reply to #136202)

Where would I put all that stuff on an open platform tractor?
Jaas
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2011-08-02 2:01 PM (#136387 - in reply to #136202)

Regular

Laws are often made and enforced because of a lack of common sense by people, and money for the government.

I believe these laws will come to be sometime, for a couple reasons, mainly money and secondly because many people are abusing this exemption.

I don't know about other parts of the country, but around here this time of year you can't hardley drive down the road without someone with a big round bale on the front and one on the back of a tractor.  Which is fine for the newer larger tractors that can handle them, not so much for the older smaller tractors.  It is not uncommon for a death or two a year from someone tipping over a too small tractor for these loads.  It is not uncommon for a tractor loaded like such to be driving down a state paved highway at dusk with no lights or flashers.  There was a death in my county last year from a tractor with a 50' drag attached, the farmer forgot to turn on his flashers, no lights behind the drag, and a 20 year old came over a small hill and crashed right into the back, right at dusk.  My county is full of amish.  They don't own tractors, they rent or borrow them.  They usually get older tractors (cheap), no flashers, dragging half falling off round bales down the highway, and they don't quit when it starts to get dark.  Many farmers around here have their own grain trucks/semi.  They hire out to haul others grain, but try to fall under farm exemption, when they are clearly for hire.  The local DOT is already cracking down here, watching how many trips a truck makes to the grainery, to see if it is for their own farming or hiring out to others.

I know these examples are extreme, but these are the type of issues people around here are yelling about.  Is it that bad to make sure someone must have a light at the end of their load after dusk?  Is it out of the question someone might have to strap down a load of hay?  Is it outrageous that someone that has no drivers license (amish) isn't permitted to drag 30,000 lbs. down a state highway?  Or is that much safety too much a PIA.  Every other business in America has to abide by these rules.

Small fire extinguisher would bolt right to a fender, just like my forklift.  A box of 3 triangles are no larger than a tractor tool box.  If you are driving less than 100 miles and in the same state you don't need log book, medical card, or CDL if less than 26001 lbs.  A pickup with trailer/hayrack might weigh 20000 lbs. if the truck is a diesel.  Only haul 5,000 of hay or less at a time.  Or get a class A CDL if you want to haul more, it's not that hard.

People are abusing the exemption.  This proposal is probably not directed to most of the people on this site.  But because we fall into the same catergory, we will need to abide if passed.

kooner
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2011-08-02 2:39 PM (#136389 - in reply to #136202)

Extreme Veteran

I have no problem with getting a cdl.   BUT   they are telling me that I can not take the test in a one ton truck pulling a horse trailer, you have to do it in a semi. I hope that this is not correct.
Jaas
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2011-08-02 3:03 PM (#136391 - in reply to #136202)

Regular

I took my Class A CDL in a one ton pickup with a 30' gooseneck flatbed trailer in the state of Iowa.  The pickup needs to be registered for over 26001 lbs. though, and the trailer over 10k.  I cannot drive anything with airbrakes unless I test with something with air brakes.

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2011-08-02 8:22 PM (#136398 - in reply to #136389)

Expert

Originally written by kooner on 2011-08-02 2:39 PM

I have no problem with getting a cdl.   BUT   they are telling me that I can not take the test in a one ton truck pulling a horse trailer, you have to do it in a semi. I hope that this is not correct.
Well, then tell them you'd like that in writing...so if you are stopped by a DOT enforcement officer you will show the document that said the examination office said you don't need a CDL for your rig...
doughbelly
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2011-08-02 10:47 PM (#136404 - in reply to #136202)

Veteran

I can tell you this you can question 5 different DOT officers and you will get 5 different answers. For every regulation they pass there are 100's of CDL drivers that are jilting the system, and always will. for every reg they pass there will be ways around it. For the incidents you described above there are already state statutes against them and that did not stop them from happening. So common Sense to me would be fine the fire out of the people that are operating unsafely. all this is a back door tax to raise more money that in the end will cost everybody.
doughbelly
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2011-08-02 10:58 PM (#136407 - in reply to #136202)

Veteran

Good luck on getting anything from DOT in writing. Good luck on getting a straight answer from the main office of DOT.

threeman
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2011-08-03 6:51 AM (#136413 - in reply to #136202)

Extreme Veteran

I dont have a problem with CDL either when I am towing.  Problem comes in when you get stopped towing.  Now I would have to have a log book, fire extinguisher, road side markers, etc.  All of this crap just because I am over 26k combined.  RV still dont need them even if they are over 26k.  That is BS.

Also if you have a CDL and your not towing you better be on your p's and q's.  Get stopped they have little mercy on you as well then too.  They see it as your supposed to be a professional driver and should know the law.  Its true I have couple of state trooper friends.  That is BS.

With the log book now I am required to stop for 8 hrs before driving again.  I make 18hr trips or better now nonstop.  That would come to an end as well or I would need a relief driver and they too would be required to have CDL.  Mainly my old lady.  What a joke.

There are way too many variables and the dumbasses pushing for them do not want or care they just want it and honestly they have no reason probably for knowing why other than REVENUE.  Greed is ruining this country.

Jaas
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2011-08-03 9:39 AM (#136422 - in reply to #136202)

Regular

"So common Sense to me would be fine the fire out of the people that are operating unsafely."

I believe you are correct.  That is why the DOT wants to do away with farm exemptions, so they can.  More for $ than safety.

As to the 18 hours straight of one person driving a large vehicle straight through, that's your call.  You can however drive longer than 8 hours legally with a log book.  Especially if you aren't driving every day.

I am no anti-farm.  Born and raised on a dairy farm.  I used to drive chopper boxes and loads of hay down the road all summer.  I usually tried to stay on the shoulder.  The point I was trying to make is this: 

We are driving on public roads.  I was not talking even so much about horse trailers as loads of hay and equipment.  If you want to drive a big truck with a big trailer down a public road and it is for something more than going on a trail ride, some day you will have to adhere.  Millions of people already do.  If you don't want to, get a small truck and a small trailer.  If you want to drive your truck/tractor with large round bales half falling off on your own property, maybe without proper flashers, maybe with a tractor too small for the load- fine.  When you drag it out on the state highway you are not just risking your safety, but everyone that passes by you on that road.

I'm not saying I'm right and others are wrong.  I'm giving you my opinion. And the DOT and the broke government is going to look for ways to get even more money.  Lifting the exemption on farmers driving on the road is going to be one.

doughbelly
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2011-08-03 10:07 AM (#136424 - in reply to #136202)

Veteran

I agree with you that it is comeing; DOT does not have to have the farm exemption excuse to enforce these saftey laws that are in place. I understand there are people moving hay as you have stated but there are dumbasses everywhere including some truckers that have a CDL. This push has nothing to do with saftey only in obtaining more tax revenue. That is from the mouth of our State DOT Headquarters . However bad these accidents were and not downplaying their grief this legislation will not solve that. Not only will currrent laws cover those violations but those people operating in that matter are taking a serious chance in getting sued for everything they have. My objection to this is the same as another poster #1 it does nothing to stop the bs driving.#2 just an excuse to get more money.#3 Getting a CDL is one thing but for 50 miles a year but after you get it the extra violation penalty's when your driving a regular rig.#4 higher insurance,log books,DOT stickers.  Be that as it may; I do not have to hay; comes to this i will quit,lay off two guys won't pay no income taxes, won't need to buy any new equipment,won't need a new truck etc; With all these new taxes and requirements put on small business and people wonder why unemployment is the way it is.
threeman
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2011-08-03 12:42 PM (#136431 - in reply to #136202)

Extreme Veteran

Well one of you guys brought up a good thing here too. INSURANCE

I for one with my weight will probably be sued unless Im lucky. Reason: Im over weight for the license I have. With that being said the license doesnt make me any safer I witness a chip truck slide the tires this morning because he wasnt paying attention. He has CDL, log book, and health cert just to drive but he still wasnt paying attention therefore a license is not the answer. Back to my point;

The insurance deal is not going to work in your favor either. If your over weight your going to get sued probably we know that. Your also probably not going to be covered by your insurer because you are overweight and Im most sure that in your policy (auto) it states you cannot operate an un safe vehicle. Over weight is going to put you into that category.

On the other hand now you get your CDL because your over weight (26001, lb) and your now legal by your state laws you auto insurance for that particular vehicle is going to be higher because of that. Also I am most certain that since you have CDL your auto insurer is going to want to know why you have CDL so your going to have to report why you have it.

Its a damn if you damn if you dont situation.
liv to ride
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2011-08-03 5:57 PM (#136437 - in reply to #136331)

Veteran

To those of you who think that a CDL is no big deal, I would seriously beg to differ. I live in Montana and we are currently under attack for this issue. I live 25 miles from our vet. Why should I have to have a CDL to haul my horse to the vet , or for that matter to take my daughter's horse to the 4-H fair. They are talking about any horse trailer over 16 ft. To transport hay that we buy from our neighbors, The list goes on and on. Many farm and ranch families depend on their teenage children to move farm machinery around. While they have a drivers license, you can't get a CDL until your 18. It would ultimately cripple the family farms and ranches who depend on their children for help. Montana ia an agriculture based state, to require someting like this is absolute insanity. You would think that our "fine folks" in Washington would have more important things on their plate right now than to make life even harder for farmers and ranchers. This is about nothing more than "MONEY". Which is also evidenced by the fact, that if you grow a product and there is a chance, just a chance, that it might cross a state line, it should be governed by interstate laws. If you want more information go to the Billings Gazette or the Montana Farm Bureau website. I will stop complaining about this issue when they make every RV driver in the US comply with this rule. As far as I am concerned someone driving a farm tractor is a whole lot better driver than most of the RV drivers I see. Remember your state might be next!
doughbelly
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2011-08-03 6:34 PM (#136439 - in reply to #136202)

Veteran

The way things are looking probably going to have to ride them instead of haul them; would now if it wasn't for all types of idiot drivers.  Sigh; but that would only last a little while and then would have to get a HDL
DaveM
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2011-08-11 10:50 PM (#136647 - in reply to #136439)

Elite Veteran

State makes decision not to require CDLs for farmers

http://www.sidneyherald.com/articles/2011/08/11/news/breaking_news/doc4e44023f151e8025776475.txt

Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2011-08-12 12:07 AM (#136648 - in reply to #136202)

Extreme Veteran

Well, that is great news. I hope it doesn't come up again.
Charmer88
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2011-08-13 9:48 PM (#136682 - in reply to #136202)

Veteran

What I've been hearing on my radio in Iowa IF this became law... you would need a CDL to pull a hay rack, a weigh wagon, any farm equipment. No one under 18 helping Dad out on the farm driving a tractor to a field that crosses or goes on any road . Each family member would need a CDL. They said it was a couple hundred for the CDL and if you needed classes it could be a couple thousand. I think it was all to rake in money. I'm guessing my heavy duty round bale mover that has a hay rack tongue would require me to have a CDL. I heard they were taking comments at .gov so I was going to give my 2 cents and did see as the other post this is not changing...for now. They'll probably change the name and stick it in another bill and pass it when we're not looking.http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/about/news/news-releases/2011/Transportation-Reinforces-Committment.aspx
DaveM
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2016-04-12 9:07 AM (#166753 - in reply to #136202)

Elite Veteran

Interesting thread from five years ago. How prophetic. My wife was just pulled over for driving a one ton pickup with a three horse trailer and no CDL. It got ugly.
BS Hauler
Reg. Jan 2012
Posted 2016-04-18 8:22 AM (#166810 - in reply to #136202)

Regular

Dave I just read this on BHW and how your wife was treated. I hope you win in court against this type of behavior of our DOT officers.
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2016-04-22 8:50 AM (#166853 - in reply to #136202)

Expert

This is getting to be a money grab
BS Hauler
Reg. Jan 2012
Posted 2016-04-22 10:19 PM (#166864 - in reply to #166853)

Regular

There was just a blog on newagtalk about how the Iowa dot was really going after farmers in the south part of the state for seed tenders and starter fertilizer carts being pulled with pickups.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2016-04-23 5:32 AM (#166867 - in reply to #166864)

Expert

Originally written by BS Hauler on 2016-04-22 10:19 PM

There was just a blog on newagtalk about how the Iowa dot was really going after farmers in the south part of the state for seed tenders and starter fertilizer carts being pulled with pickups.
Thread from NAT.... http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=627799&mid=525...
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2016-04-23 9:04 PM (#166873 - in reply to #136202)

Expert

The Iowa House Appropriations Committee voted Wednesday night to slash proposed state transportation funding by $9.7 million, which would result in the elimination of more than 400 employees from the Iowa Department of Transportation.DOT officials told lawmakers the cuts would likely result in the closure of some of the existing 19 state-operated driver's license stations and some of the 110 state highway maintenance garages. There also would be fewer inspectors to check on state highway construction projects, which could slow the progress of highway and bridge improvements.The reduction of the DOT's workforce would happen over the next two years. http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/2016/04/20/dal...
fergus
Reg. Mar 2016
Posted 2016-04-25 5:21 PM (#166887 - in reply to #136202)

Really interesting now. I have had farm plates for years in Texas on every thing I own including my LQ trailer. Have my Texas AG card as well. And Dave is correct about being up to the State about being exempt from CDL when having farm plate and Texas AG card. My problem now is we just traded in our 04 LQ horse trailer which had farm plates in on a 09 larger LQ horse trailer and had to pay sales tax and get regular plates for it. But no one in the State can give me any help on if I need a CDL now or not! Only thing that changed was the State stiffed me for sales tax difference on my trade. Load of BS looks like to me
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2016-04-25 9:47 PM (#166895 - in reply to #136202)

Extreme Veteran

Seems like there are enough weekend haulers that are effected by the CDL laws nation wide that some thing could be done to separate commercial drivers from the weekend haulers. I would not have a problem getting a supplement to my licence to show I k ow how to haul a decent size trailer, but have no desire to keeps logs or pay higher insurance rates.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)