'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Truck Washes and Deadly Poison around your horses

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-06-23 9:25 AM
39 replies, 12178 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Streak Master
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2011-06-07 11:04 AM (#134651)
Subject: Truck Washes and Deadly Poison around your horses

Virtually Every Truck Wash in America Uses Hydrofluoric Acid to Brighten Aluminum:HF is the most traditional way of brightening aluminum and the truck washes continue to use this product because it is cheap and effective. My concern today is that people are still taking their horse and livestock trailers to the truck washes.

How can that be safe for the animals that travel in these trailers? Are you putting your horses and livestock at risk? After reading some of this information about HF acid, hopefully you will find safer alternatives than truck washes for cleaning and brightening your trailers. Pressure washers are used at the truck washes which gets solutions into the cracks and crannies of your trailer. Now how much residue of HF is left behind? And for those that have been doing this for years and stating that it has never caused any problems, well that is what a lot of cigarette smokers say also.

Please take this warning serious and go out and do your own research on the dangers of Hydrofluoric Acid.How dangerous is HF?Hydrofluoric acid is extremely potent and dangerous. It can penetrate thick, calloused skin and even fingernails, causing extensive skin burns and scarring. A major exposure to concentrated HF can bind the body's calcium stores from the bones, causing seizures, bone destruction and death. Inhaling HF fumes can lead to pneumonia. A splash of HF in the eyes can cause destruction of the eye tissues and blindness. These are just some of the dangers of this highly poisonous solution. The internet is full of government and university web sites that will tell you the truth about HF concerns and why staying away from this poison is your best bet.There are safer solutions to cleaning and brightening your trailer that work just as well as (Hydrofluoric Acid) without the poisonous concerns to you and your animals.

This is not a debate, these are facts.Hopefully this article will enlighten those to the dangers of the chemicals used by the truck washes.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
cutter99
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2011-06-07 12:36 PM (#134654 - in reply to #134651)
Subject: RE: Truck Washes and Deadly Poison around your horses

Extreme Veteran

Never heard of this before and how many of us wash our trailers this way? Can't say I've really seen horses dropping over dead from it. Or people! And I suppose your product poses no risk whatsoever?

Edited by cutter99 2011-06-07 12:39 PM
Streak Master
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2011-06-07 1:04 PM (#134655 - in reply to #134654)

Originally written by cutter99 on 2011-06-07 12:36 PM

Never heard of this before and how many of us wash our trailers this way? Can't say I've really seen horses dropping over dead from it. Or people! And I suppose your product poses no risk whatsoever?

I am not here to sell you a product. Only giving the facts about HF acid and the dangers it poses. And if you have never heard of this before, please do some research on the matter to become better informed. Hopefully no harm comes to any horses or humans with trailers going to the truck washes. But now you know and knowing is half the battle.
pinkmouse
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2011-06-07 1:57 PM (#134658 - in reply to #134651)

Veteran

I am always suspect of someone who bashes their competitor's products.  It comes across like a sleazy used car salesman. 

BTW - when your username and signature line are the name of the product you are selling, YES, you are trying to sell us your product.  Take out an ad and quit bashing your competition.  (As a consumer, I would want to know why your product is good, not why someone else's is not). Every product has its appropriate application - even ones with a potential to be harmful.

DaveM
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2011-06-07 2:12 PM (#134661 - in reply to #134651)

Elite Veteran

He does have an ad with us. 

I did a google search on "hydrofluoric acid" and it's nasty stuff.  It's even listed as potential chemical agent for terrorism.  Greg's been around for years and is in the business of cleaning trailers so it's not surprising he knows about it. 

I think it's a good thing to know - and I didn't want to keep this information from the public at large just because Streakmaster and other similar products compete with a a widely used process that uses dangerous acid. 

If anyone can give us further information about this please do.  We are learning alot about products that take years to kill us we didn't know before . . . like asbestos, lead paint, and  . . . . soft drinks, I'm told. 

pssst.  are you going to eat that Twinkie?

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2011-06-07 3:23 PM (#134665 - in reply to #134651)

Expert

Most truck washes also offer a citrus wash
Spin Doctor
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2011-06-07 3:28 PM (#134666 - in reply to #134651)

Extreme Veteran

I can attest to this causing a problem. Several years ago, we had a bunch (150+) of feeder cattle have severe foot problems. As they all came from the same sale barn and hauled on 2 trucks at the same time, we got to do some digging. The only thing we could assume what happend was that it appeared that the trucks were just acidized on the outside before they loaded the cattle. Apparently, the acid was shot thru the side openings into the livestock compartments of the pots as they washed the outside. On the 16 hour truck ride, the acid burnt their feet. Needless to say, it was a mess. Several had to put down. Have acidized the outside of the trailers (making sure all doors/windows/vents shut), but will not ever do the inside unless I do an extra rinse or 2 before I put a horse in. With mats pulled when they clean the floot, shouldn't have a problem but?? Most truck washes that I have been thru will not do the inside anyway.
pinkmouse
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2011-06-07 4:27 PM (#134668 - in reply to #134651)

Veteran

Dave - thanks for letting me know that Streak Master does have an ad. Streak Master - perhaps your concerns about HF acid would have been more effective if your very first posting hadn't been so negative - yes, lots of people look at the number of posts and the date you joined. When you stand to financially gain by bashing others, the message frequently gets lost. As there are legitimate uses for HF acid, a couple of links to the websites you mention would be better received. For example, you talk about 'this article' - where can I find it? My current job is in market research and effective marketing and sales, so I am more sensitive to this stuff. :-) In the interest of full disclosure - I use Streak Master products......
canadianguy
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2011-06-07 7:05 PM (#134672 - in reply to #134651)

Pinkmouse, I think you are being overly critical. It did not come across as bashing anyone elses product to me, merely as something to think about. JMO
wyndancer
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2011-06-07 9:07 PM (#134676 - in reply to #134672)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by canadianguy on 2011-06-07 7:05 PM

Pinkmouse, I think you are being overly critical. It did not come across as bashing anyone elses product to me, merely as something to think about. JMO
Yeah, merely something to think about from somebody that offers a competing product.
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2011-06-07 10:45 PM (#134681 - in reply to #134651)

Expert

This is way I join to get information that could help me thank you
blackcows
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-06-08 5:28 AM (#134685 - in reply to #134672)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by canadianguy on 2011-06-07 7:05 PM

I disagree, I think the orginal post was a Chicken Little post, the sky is falling.....the sky is falling!

My understanding is that Streak Master is also a mild acid and has risks associated with it's use. If the OP wanted to perform a public service maybe they should have pointed out those concerns also or be upfront and said I sell Streak Master and here is why I think it's superior to an acid wash.
GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-06-08 8:24 AM (#134688 - in reply to #134651)

Extreme Veteran

I have no vested interest in either streak master or truck washes, but for heavens sake people, be thankful for the information presented and move on, or just simply move on.

He wasn't on here going "HF acid is bad BUY STREAK MASTER because its better!" If we can be honest with ourselves, if he would've come on here under a different name that expressed no affiliation with a "competitor" most of us would have left it alone.

There are other trailer dealers and such that do say "buy my product!" on every post they make which may have left a bad taste in some of your mouths. Who knows.

For whatever reason, people on this forum have started to flame and create drama where it is/was not warranted.

I am thankful that there is someone in the business of aluminum washes is willing to share some knowledge about some of the more harmful products to our animals. Whether or not you have experienced problems, doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't know what could cause future issues.

Now you know.

Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-06-08 2:48 PM (#134698 - in reply to #134666)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by Spin Doctor on 2011-06-07 4:28 PM

I can attest to this causing a problem. Several years ago, we had a bunch (150+) of feeder cattle have severe foot problems. As they all came from the same sale barn and hauled on 2 trucks at the same time, we got to do some digging. The only thing we could assume what happend was that it appeared that the trucks were just acidized on the outside before they loaded the cattle. Apparently, the acid was shot thru the side openings into the livestock compartments of the pots as they washed the outside. On the 16 hour truck ride, the acid burnt their feet. Needless to say, it was a mess. Several had to put down. Have acidized the outside of the trailers (making sure all doors/windows/vents shut), but will not ever do the inside unless I do an extra rinse or 2 before I put a horse in. With mats pulled when they clean the floot, shouldn't have a problem but?? Most truck washes that I have been thru will not do the inside anyway.

Oh those poor cows....

canadianguy
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2011-06-09 5:45 AM (#134707 - in reply to #134688)

Originally written by GRNMCHNEDAZE on 2011-06-08 8:24 AM

I have no vested interest in either streak master or truck washes, but for heavens sake people, be thankful for the information presented and move on, or just simply move on. He wasn't on here going "HF acid is bad BUY STREAK MASTER because its better!" If we can be honest with ourselves, if he would've come on here under a different name that expressed no affiliation with a "competitor" most of us would have left it alone. There are other trailer dealers and such that do say "buy my product!" on every post they make which may have left a bad taste in some of your mouths. Who knows. For whatever reason, people on this forum have started to flame and create drama where it is/was not warranted. I am thankful that there is someone in the business of aluminum washes is willing to share some knowledge about some of the more harmful products to our animals. Whether or not you have experienced problems, doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't know what could cause future issues. Now you know.

Well said.

brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2011-06-09 6:51 AM (#134708 - in reply to #134651)

I had heard about the dangers of acid washing quite a while ago. I switched over to the Citrus wash , right after they came out with it, if I have a emergency "get it done now moment". I never get the trailer washed with animals in it. And, I always close all the windows up tight. I get my rigs detailed by hand several times a year and just spray them off with a pressure washer at home in between. Most large horse shows have a mobile trailer detailer running around the grounds.
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2011-06-10 10:33 AM (#134742 - in reply to #134651)

Expert

If we stop everybody for posting information them we will live in the dark ages and that could be very bad. Like any information on the Internet , it could be good or bad It is up to the person reading it to look in to if it  is there wont to think about doing
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2011-06-10 1:07 PM (#134745 - in reply to #134651)

Expert

I'd like to say that this isn't the first go-round that Greg Waltrip of Streakmaster has had with HTW posters.The bashing that he was accused of doing was turned around and HE became the one that was being bashed,just because of his thread which he had a right to come on here and create.Case in point: Dave commented favorably about it.

I remember the first time he took out his ad and made a post on here about it.He got all kinds of ugly remarks thrown back at him,accusations that he was not a "chemist" so,what right did he have to try to sell a product that he was expected to cite the exact chemical compounds down to the last ion? He stayed with HTW and continued to make and sell his products.

Everyone has the right to use what they want to on their trailers,and,not eveyone is set up to wash their own trailer nor are they able.I've tried both,truck washes,and,Streakmaster.Granted,it's a lot easier to pull through a truck wash.i'll admit that.But I know what happened when I got my  trailer home afterward.The acid was not completely rinsed from around the lights,fittings,crevices,rooftop,etc and,after the trip,it had run in streaks down the sides of the trailer.I was not able to get those streaks off,and had to replace some marker lamps.

I use Streakmaster,granted,it's tantamount to washing a Greyhound bus if you have large trailers.I have 3 aluminum trailers,and,for the investment in them that I have,I'd rather tend to my own "acid" washing of them.It's a good product,all 3 of the products that his company sells are good,I use them,have used them for a while,and,plan to continue to because THEY WORK.

Congratulations,Greg.You survived another one.48

PS: that's not his first posting or first time to be a member,either.I think he bowed off the forum after the first onslaught,and,believe me,some of the comments were pretty rough.So I don't blame him for being absent for a while. 

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2011-06-10 1:10 PM
pinkmouse
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2011-06-10 3:53 PM (#134750 - in reply to #134651)

Veteran

I'd like to say that this isn't the first go-round that Greg Waltrip of Streakmaster has had with HTW posters.The bashing that he was accused of doing was turned around and HE became the one that was being bashed,just because of his thread which he had a right to come on here and create.Case in point: Dave commented favorably about it.Nobody said that he did not have the right to post on this board. This is not a case in point: Dave is a smart businessman - he should respond favorably to his paying advertiser.I remember the first time he took out his ad and made a post on here about it.He got all kinds of ugly remarks thrown back at him,accusations that he was not a "chemist" so,what right did he have to try to sell a product that he was expected to cite the exact chemical compounds down to the last ion? He stayed with HTW and continued to make and sell his products.Apparently he did not learn from his first posting that he should try a different approach.Everyone has the right to use what they want to on their trailers,and,not eveyone is set up to wash their own trailer nor are they able.I've tried both,truck washes,and,Streakmaster.Granted,it's a lot easier to pull through a truck wash.i'll admit that.But I know what happened when I got my trailer home afterward.The acid was not completely rinsed from around the lights,fittings,crevices,rooftop,etc and,after the trip,it had run in streaks down the sides of the trailer.I was not able to get those streaks off,and had to replace some marker lamps.I use Streakmaster,granted,it's tantamount to washing a Greyhound bus if you have large trailers.I have 3 aluminum trailers,and,for the investment in them that I have,I'd rather tend to my own "acid" washing of them.It's a good product,all 3 of the products that his company sells are good,I use them,have used them for a while,and,plan to continue to because THEY WORK.Nobody said that you did not have the right to use what product you want.Congratulations,Greg.You survived another one.This comment makes no sense - what exactly did he survive? No one threatened him. He just came across as a sleezy used car salesman. Most of us read this board for unbiased opinion - not input from someone who stands to make a profit from switching to their product. PS: that's not his first posting or first time to be a member,either.I think he bowed off the forum after the first onslaught,and,believe me,some of the comments were pretty rough.So I don't blame him for being absent for a while. As I stated above, Greg needs to learn a different approach if he would like to have a more positive response next time. I would be more than happy to coach him - it's part of what I currently do for a living.

Edited by pinkmouse 2011-06-10 3:57 PM
pinkmouse
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2011-06-10 3:57 PM (#134751 - in reply to #134651)

Veteran

No clue why the last message did not include the paragraph separations - it sure is hard to read!
edtai46
Reg. Mar 2011
Posted 2011-06-10 6:02 PM (#134752 - in reply to #134651)

Apparently this is some bad stuff because the CAR wash by my house is now not using it. So it is not just used in washing trailers. It is also bad for the environment so it is a good thing to get rid of!!!
califhorseman
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2011-06-10 9:53 PM (#134755 - in reply to #134651)

Regular

I think pinkmouse needs to take a step back and re-read the posting from streakmaster that started this forum. There was no “sleazy used car salesman” but a gentleman that asked you query the chemical in question. It appears instead of doing just that you chose to attack. I would suggest before sticking your foot in your mouth again JMO investigate the statement(s) and then make a rebuttal if one is required. I for one don’t believe from the above statements he needs your coaching when doing another posting. Greg thank you for your information it only drives my wife and myself do so more research.
pinkmouse
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2011-06-10 11:45 PM (#134757 - in reply to #134651)

Veteran

califhorseman - if you read crowleyridgegirl's post, you would see that Greg's postings are not well received. I stand by my comment that he needs to change his approach....'nuff said
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2011-06-11 2:48 PM (#134763 - in reply to #134651)

Expert

This pretty much sums up the use of HF as a wash materialhttp://www.carwash.org/operatorinformation/SafetyResources/Pages/positionontheUseofHydroflouricAcidIntheCarWashIndustry.aspx
califhorseman
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2011-06-11 6:45 PM (#134767 - in reply to #134651)

Regular

Pinkmouse so I went back and re-read crowleyridgegirl's posting and it stated past postings. I think once again if you review the posting and do the math (percentage) you will find it this time others are not bashing him for the posting. Thanks Paul for the link
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)