'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Towing with a Tundra

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-11-24 10:30 PM
3 replies, 7993 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

appygirl02
Reg. Nov 2010
Posted 2010-11-22 1:00 AM (#127344)
Subject: Towing with a Tundra

New User

I am trying to decide what kind of trailer to get to tow with my 2007 toyota tundra. It is the 4.7 with trd package. I am looking at either a 2 horse all aluminum adam trailer that weighs 3300# or a 3 horse that weights 3750#. I would really like the 3 horse because of the extra storage, but am not sure if that would be too much weight on for the truck. I will mostly be hauling 1-2 horses, probably never 3.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
horsepuller
Reg. Jun 2010
Posted 2010-11-22 6:28 PM (#127357 - in reply to #127344)
Subject: RE: Towing with a Tundra

There are two types of issues when asking how much a truck can tow: one is whether you are within your truck's various ratings (GVWR, etc., for more information see the article "Toyota Tundra Towing Basics – What To Know Before You Tow" at: http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/2008/04/10/toyota-tundra-tow...), the second is practical - will acceleration, braking, and handling be adequate for safe driving. To answer the second issue, I suggest you search for information regarding 4.7L Tundra owners towing experiences on a Tundra forum such as http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/.

Some other important questions:
1. Is your truck equipped with the towing package? (Transmission oil cooler, heavier springs, larger alternator, tow hitch and wiring, etc).
2. What are your truck's ratings? GVWR, GCWR, weight class of hitch, tire ratings, etc.
3. What type of trailer are you considering? Bumper pull or gooseneck? With a gooseneck trailer the tongue weight in the bed counts against the truck's GVWR and is usually the liming rating factor. With a bumper pull and a weight distributing hitch, you may have a little more room to work with.
4. What is the trailers GVWR? How close will you come to that rating (how much do your horse weigh)?

My guess (without knowing the missing information) is that you will probably be OK, or will be able to be OK after minor upgrades (transmission oil cooler?) if currently missing.

Another bit of information to consider is the new, more objective (based on SAE J2807) truck towing rating system coming for the 2013 model year. See http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/2010/08/23/2011-tundra-tow-r...
The article only lists ratings for the 5.7L engine, but will give you a ballpark idea of the size of coming ratings decreases.

Good luck, I hope you are able to resolve all this successfully.

PS: I tow a 3500 lb. empty, 7000 lb. GVWR gooseneck two horse trailer with a 2010 Tundra with the 5.7 L engine. It does great. Acceleration, handling, and braking are all fine.

Jrutherford
Reg. Nov 2010
Posted 2010-11-23 2:07 AM (#127370 - in reply to #127344)

New User

I have been towing horses in a tandem Axle 20 foot gooseneck stock trailer that I modified to create a 3 horse slant load trailer with a tack compartment in front. I installed trailer brakes, heavier tires than the OEMs and an Air Bag helper spring system with an onboard compressor system and cab controller. I have put 56k miles on this truck and it handles the loads as if it were a 3/4 ton truck. This is the best truck I have ever owned. It does burn a lot of gas when I tow, but it has all the power and torque I have ever needed. My tundra has all the heavy duty options, the biggest engine and is 4x4.
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2010-11-24 10:30 PM (#127433 - in reply to #127344)

Expert

I just got my tundra and this is good to read thank you
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'