'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Circle C Trailers, Trails West, WW

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2015-07-05 9:23 PM
16 replies, 15591 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

DeeBee
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2009-07-07 12:38 PM (#107648)
Subject: Circle C Trailers, Trails West, WW

New User

I am looking at a 2005 Circle C GN, but can't find a company website for them. Apparently they are located in Livingston TX, but I can't find much out about them. Are they still in business, what is their reputation? Does anyone know anything about these trailers; pros, cons, etc.? I am also looking at Trails West, CM and WW trailers. Comments on any of these brands, reliability?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2009-07-07 1:08 PM (#107649 - in reply to #107648)
Subject: RE: Circle C Trailers, Trails West, WW

Expert

I can't comment on the others you've mentioned,but,CM (I believe it is now Cimmaron) and WW are good trailers.
brew26
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2009-07-07 1:25 PM (#107650 - in reply to #107648)

Veteran

I wouldn't pull a trails west if someone paid me...my roomate had one and it was the worst trailer I've pulled or put a horse in.  His axle once fell off 2 months after he bought it and he took care of this trailer. 

How much are looking to spend?  What are you looking for in a trailer?  Tell us a little more so we can try and help you. 

brokenboot
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2009-07-07 2:17 PM (#107652 - in reply to #107648)

Regular

Brew26 - Did your friend buy a new Trails West or was it used? Seems to me an axle falling off a new trailer wouldn't be due to not taking care of a new trailer ... not after only two months. It had to be some kind of defect, unless it was put under some extreme misuse. Did the bolts break? Or the welds? It would be interesting to hear the rest of the story.

DeeBee - I've had a Trails West for six years now and I've never had any issues with it. When I bought mine, the salesperson had me pull an Exiss, a Sundowner and the Trails West. Nothing against the others ... I was considering them ... but the Trails West pulled the best, hands down. I believe the finish is the best of any steel trailers I've seen, and there are some very nice features. We love the side tack on ours. Also the cylinders on the dividers. Overall good attention to detail. But everyone has their likes and dislikes. Good luck with your search.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-07-07 2:47 PM (#107656 - in reply to #107648)

Expert

If you are considering a TW LQ trailer, consider the OSB flooring. Other trailer manufacturers in the same price range have a fully framed, solid aluminum floor. The TW LQ area is built like an RV camper.

Gard

DeeBee
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2009-07-07 3:12 PM (#107658 - in reply to #107650)

New User

I'm looking to spend under $8,ooo right now, so used is OK. I would like a small tack/dressing room with the door on the street side. Doesn't need any improvements in it. Just don't want any serious axle, frame or floor problems. Our horses are like family members and I don't want anything to happen to them while they are trailering just because I couldn't afford something better.
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-07-07 3:56 PM (#107659 - in reply to #107648)

Expert

I can't comment about Circle C or the other one you named, but I can for CM and WW! Both good trailers for the money, however after owning both in my opinion the CM is a much better trailer! CM and S&H is one and the SAME now! So I would look at CM and the S&H trailers both

HTB!
apricotbend
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-07-07 7:25 PM (#107665 - in reply to #107648)

Regular

I bought a Trails West 2 horse gooseneck slant 4 years ago. It pulls great but there are some things I don't like about it. The brochure said it's 7 feet tall in the box but it's no where near 7 feet. I own a 4 Star LQ that is a true 7 feet in the box.

Second, my trailer has double back doors. The bottom of the cam lock hardware was fully exposed and the bumper was a two piece bumper with the cam latch between the two pieces. I've seen quite a few trailers like this but it's a risk to unload with both doors open because if you back your horse out and the horse steps down just right he'll peel the hide off the front of his rear cannon bones. I noticed when I bought the trailer that the mats stuck out of the trailer when the doors were closed. I was told this was to help protect the horse's shins from the exposed hardware.

The second time I loaded my horse in the trailer he caught the edge of the mat that was sticking out of the trailer, the mat folded forward and my horse fell down in the trailer with the mat rolled up underneath him. I was not impressed. I called Trails West and they said they could send me screws to screw the mat to the floor across the rear of the trailer. Again I was not impressed. I had the two piece bumper removed, a full bumper installed with cut outs for the cam locks. Now it works great. I notice Trails West still makes their bumpers with a two piece if you order two doors.

My friend had a Trails West. She solved the bumper problem by inserting a rod in the hole from one end of the bumper to the other end of the bumper. She said after having a vet bill on her horse she had to do something. She told me with the rod inserted if the horse hit the rod the rod would turn and would keep the horse from peeling the hide off his cannon bones. But she had to insert the rod just prior to unloading and then pull it out to get the door closed. She sold the trailer after a few years of fooling with the rod.

That's my two cents.

Bat1
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-07-07 7:36 PM (#107666 - in reply to #107648)

Whatever you do DON'T buy trails west, they will not stand behind them, and they are pretty p--- poor trailers, I agree with the other post. AVOID TRAILS WEST.

Trails West also puts on the cheapest Chinese tires they can buy and they are not warranted neither.  The trailer will weigh to much for the rating on the tires and you will have to fix it, Trails West won't. 

Their after purchase factory service is non-existent.

Edited by Bat1 2009-07-07 7:41 PM
DeeBee
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2009-07-07 11:42 PM (#107673 - in reply to #107648)

New User

What about the Ponderosa brand, I've heard things both ways on their trailers. Who else has experience with them?
brokenboot
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2009-07-08 7:16 AM (#107677 - in reply to #107648)

Regular

apricotbend, Thanks for the tip on the back bumper on Trails West. I've never had a problem since owning mine, but with your experience I'll make that fix before I do have a mishap. I'm surprised to hear that TW hasn't helped out. I had a young lab who chewed the rubber door stops pretty bad. I called my dealer, Uncle Bob's in Jamestown, ND, to order some replacements and asked if I could also order additional graphics that would match the color of my truck. I recieved the package a few days later and to my surprise, there was no charge for any of it. It might be better to work through your dealer than the manufacturer. It shouldn't be that way, but if if it works ...
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-07-08 11:35 AM (#107687 - in reply to #107648)

Elite Veteran

Had a 2006 TW BP. Didin't have any structural issues with it, just didn't like pulling a BP.

However, the rubber lining on the inside was too soft and tore easily at the bottom where one of my mare's braced her foot against the wall. I called numerous times (over 10 times) to get a new wall liner sent to me. TW never returned my calls and my dealer who sold me the trailer went out of business, so no help there. I traded it in on a aluminum GN.

I'd go with a higher quality used Aluminum trailer.

hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-07-08 11:53 AM (#107689 - in reply to #107673)

Expert

Originally written by DeeBee on 2009-07-07 11:42 PM

What about the Ponderosa brand, I've heard things both ways on their trailers. Who else has experience with them?

For the money, I would buy either a CM or an S&H trailer! Like I said they are one and the same company now and have a well built trailer, better paint than others (WW, Ponderosa) you have asked about and DO STAND BEHIND their product!

Go and research threads from the last year on the TW brand you are asking about. Was lots of infomation.
rafterlhorses
Reg. Jul 2015
Posted 2015-07-01 9:02 PM (#163921 - in reply to #107648)

New User

I pull a 99 Circle C 3-horse gooseneck. There is really only one thing I wish I could change...the weight. Although it is very balanced even loaded. Stalls are huge..I've hauled a friends clydesdale in it with no trouble. Its been very reliable. We bought it basically new. I can't speak of any of the other brands you listed as my Circle C was my 1st trailer and I will pull it till the wheels fall off...then put them back on and haul it some more!
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2015-07-02 3:07 AM (#163922 - in reply to #107648)

Elite Veteran

If you are looking for a very solid trailer, I think Titan (waterville, ks) is a great choice for a modest price... I think they are galvalume and last if you treat them right... or CM is a great choice, and you can find one reasonable.
rfrank
Reg. Dec 2013
Posted 2015-07-05 4:42 PM (#163950 - in reply to #107648)

I had a 1999 Trails West 4 horse with living quarters. I love it. I pulled it down IH-10 fully loaded at 80mph. It pulled like dream, rock solid. Everything in the living quarters worked. I paid $7000 and used it for four years. Sold it for $9500. I looked at 4 Star, Hart, Sundowner, Bloomer, and I kept coming back to Trails West. I recently purchased a used 2012 Trails West, slide living quarters, with a mid-tack. I love the mid-tack and the extra storage. I pulled it back from CO and it also pulled like a dream. I made may reasonable offers and all the above trailers. I like the lay out of the Trails West the best. The point is the 1999 was 14 years old when I sold it and everything worked. What more can you ask for?
ChopRod
Reg. Oct 2013
Posted 2015-07-05 9:23 PM (#163951 - in reply to #107648)

Bought a nice hardly used Trails West Sierra 3H 7W 813 with slide out. Power jack, generator, water tank, premium interior upgrades. Our first living quarter unit. Love it. Lots of storage. Cabinets on both sides of bunk with California King bed. Cabinets above slide. Like the extra seating area below bunk. Really helps when friends stop in. Have had other campers with same floor and never any problems. Wife and granddaughter love the extra storage under the mangers. Looked at at least 20 LQ trailers new and used before this one and talked to a lot of LQ owners. No such thing as a perfect trailer. Some pay more and have a lot less to show for it. Would I make some changes? Definitely. Do we need a glass door on the shower when a nice curtain with a looped rod be better when space is tight to maneuver past the door to get in? A few more light switches placed in convenient places such as a switch at the pass through door to turn on lights in stalls instead of having one light located on the rear outside of trailer. Would help in darkness when you need to get an item stored in the first stall or using the first stall as an exit through the escape door. A better layout for when trailer is equipped with the water tank located in the rear tack- so that the collapsible wall would pivot on the end of the manger. Otherwise can't collapse the wall with water tank wedged into the corner where the wall pivots from. And it does pull better than most. Heavier than we wanted but doesn't feel like it at all. Seems the same whether loaded with two horses or empty. Good axle location for balance. Torsion axles they used do not require tires to be off the ground to grease them. And yes, put LT type tires on LQ trailers- not LS. Manufacturer was polite and helpful- emailing me owners manuals etc. Also shared exactly when trailer was built and curb weight with all the options. Just depends what you want, need or have to have. Since they share the majority of serviceable items with those in the RV industry, parts can be found just about anywhere. No matter what trailer you buy, it all depends how well it was taken care of and knowing where to look for compromises in the unit itself. And if they have seen any winter roads with all the salt/calcium chloride they use these days- be sure to check out the frame. Or if they've been stored for a lengthy time over bare ground. Works best sometimes to take someone with you that familiar with the ins and outs of trailer ownership. Just my 2 cents worth. Best wishes to all.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)