'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
stop horse kicking in trailer??/

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-05-07 12:40 AM
26 replies, 15538 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

rider3
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2009-02-12 10:47 AM (#99355)
Subject: stop horse kicking in trailer??/

Veteran

So I indulged and purchased a really nice Logan XTR a few years ago- has the spray liner on the floor/walls- different from WERM in that there is no cushion.  Well, my horse is kicking the walls and its very irritating as now I have a nice spray lined interior with little kick dents everywhere!  How can I stop her from doing this?   I love this horse in every other respect, awesome trail/riding horse but this is ridiculous- she's 14, loads herself, knows the drill.  She will stand and then lift her hind leg, hold it in the air ,and then kick.  Any ideas?  Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-02-12 10:55 AM (#99356 - in reply to #99355)
Subject: RE: stop horse kicking in trailer??/

Expert

How long has she been doing this? Forever? If so, she probably will never quit, old and set in her ways. You might try a pair of "Kicking Chains".... Always worked for us. Let her wear them in the stall first before loading her in the trailer. It will sound like it's cutting the trailer in half, but by the time she whacks herself a couple times, she'll get the idea. You might also try smacking that hind leg with a good riding crop when she lifts it to kick, that'll help also. Nothing personel, just business.

LBHUGG
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-02-12 12:27 PM (#99366 - in reply to #99355)

You can load her and when she picks up her leg to kick remove her from the trailer and really make her move her feet (longing w/LOTS of direction changes) for a few minutes she needs to huff and puff then load her back up do this a few times and she will be quiet as a mouse just make sure you really make her work or this method won't work They get the idea that if they are noisey then they have to work
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-02-12 12:41 PM (#99370 - in reply to #99355)

Expert

I know folks that when the horse starts fussing or kicking, they "peel out" and hit the brakes a few times. Just rocking the trailer makes them put their feet on the ground.

I wouldn't unload a horse for kicking. It might lead them to think if they kick, they can get off the trailer.

And... how's your driving? Are you being really careful around corners, accelerating, braking, etc. ?   Is the trailer super hot when you load the horse? 

hhecladd
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2009-02-12 1:01 PM (#99372 - in reply to #99355)

Does the horse have any weakness or lameness issues? My horse has to be in a slant load because he can't keep his balance in a straight load and depending on how tired/sore he is he will struggle to keep his balance in the slant. I would make sure there isn't a physical reason for this before hitting bumps/brakes, and throwing them down.
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-02-12 1:31 PM (#99378 - in reply to #99355)

Elite Veteran

Which hoof comes up first to kick the trailer is the one that gets whacked with a buggy whip first!

A loose fitting pair of rope hobbles will also work.

The buggy whip thing works the best and the fastest.  Had to ride in the back of the trailer a few times for the horse to get the idea that kicking wasn't a good idea. 

deranger

Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-02-12 3:27 PM (#99388 - in reply to #99370)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by gabz on 2009-02-12 12:41 PM

I know folks that when the horse starts fussing or kicking, they "peel out" and hit the brakes a few times. Just rocking the trailer makes them put their feet on the ground.

I wouldn't unload a horse for kicking. It might lead them to think if they kick, they can get off the trailer.

And... how's your driving? Are you being really careful around corners, accelerating, braking, etc. ?   Is the trailer super hot when you load the horse? 

If there aren't any underlying issues other than the horse just being pissy, it works because I have done this myself. After a few times they do for the most part stop. I don't "peel out" but I just mildly proceed forward and then hit the brakes. 

Edited by Gone 2009-02-12 3:31 PM
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2009-02-12 7:40 PM (#99397 - in reply to #99355)

Elite Veteran

If you have any really windy roads, they can also discourage it.
rider3
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2009-02-12 8:55 PM (#99398 - in reply to #99355)

Veteran

Thanks for the ideas!  For more info.- she does this in slant or straight loads, don't think this is a soundness thing.  If after I load her and see her raise a hind leg- if I yell "quit it!" she won't kick.  I've actually screamed out the truck window driving down the road (what a sight that must be!).  

Have tried the slam the brakes- does work- for a minute- then she starts up.  She doesn't do it every ride- mostly when she hasn't been anywhere in a while so maybe the anticipation?  She loves to work, especially the long trail rides.

Might try the chains and the unload and work thing- AFTER I yell at her for raising a leg.  She's like a dog- she knows darn well she shouldn't kick- and just waits until I am out of sight.  This is not a mean spirited horse- quite the opposite- but, is a very high energy horse.

coltaffyjo
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2009-02-12 9:36 PM (#99405 - in reply to #99355)

Regular

We have a friend who owned an awesome show horse that would kick the trailer. The mare got hobbled once loaded. She trailered quietly......
mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2009-02-13 5:36 AM (#99413 - in reply to #99355)

Elite Veteran

My paint mare paws in the trailer. I have also tapped the brakes to get her off balance so she would stop, but that worked for about 2 mins.. If I have another horse on she doesn't do it. I have also done the yelling out the truck window. It works for about a nano second...She hasn't done it in the new trailer. I think it was because she couldn't see alot. Now that I have drop down windows she is happier...Seems that she only did it in the last trialer I had. She never did it in the stock. Darn Critters......
HTWOK
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2009-02-14 9:22 AM (#99451 - in reply to #99355)

Regular

I have heard of tying horse shoes on thier feet below the ankle to stop kicking and pawing
brandobbie
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-11 7:26 AM (#101093 - in reply to #99355)

Hello I have this 7 yr old horse that when we bought him the old owners did everything from sedative meds to chains we used a elec horse zapp collar ( it sounds mean ) but it's better themn him hurting him self.( it comes with a remote so you can drive at same time) now that we are hauling him more he's beginning to kick again ( I don't know that maybe when he gets excited he gets stomach acid that disstresses him) so I am going to start him on U 7 and see if that helps any. Maybe this idea will help with your horse. I am still open to ideas. I also thought about putting a small  soft mattress on the wall to avoid the impack from the kick.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-03-11 7:44 AM (#101095 - in reply to #99355)

Expert

"U7"..... What is this, some sort of equine "Maalox"?

http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productclassid=1299#fulldescription

jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2009-03-12 8:51 AM (#101174 - in reply to #99355)

Extreme Veteran

The local blacksmith uses a piece of 1/2-inch round bar, bent into a C shape. The opening is just large enough to fit over the smallest part of the leg and slide down over the top of the hoof. It doesn't take away any range of motion, but when they kick or paw, it feels unpleasant. Just another idea to add to the list of already-good ones.
brandobbie
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-12 9:20 AM (#101179 - in reply to #101174)

I've also heard of this btu with a used horse shoes, I just mentioned trying this.
brandobbie
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-12 9:25 AM (#101181 - in reply to #101095)

U-7 is a herbal stomach acid buffering product, My boyfriend uses ulcer quard for streefull big shows like congress,  etc. and this is a form of daily supplement kinda like Ulcer quard.
NancyL
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-03-12 10:22 AM (#101185 - in reply to #99355)

Here is a great solution and it works for all bad habits and vices. (I am sure that some of you are not going to like this but it works)

Go to this website and look at horse products  http://www.tritronics.com

They have a Vice breaker - It is like a shock collar for a dog but for horses. You can set it a different levels. This way you are not wipping the horse all the time. They do not see you doing anything to them so will not associate you with the correction. They will think "if I kick I will get zapped". This is less shock than a hot wire fence. I put it around my horses belly about the girth area with the shocker at the top of the back to one side or the other instead of the neck. I don't let it slide under the belly. I have a stallion and a mare that kicks the wall in their stalls. Also stops cribbing, pawing, weaving, agressive horse behavior to you or towards other horses. Will stop trailer problems too. Has a remote control so you can use it from your truck or from anywhere. Go to the website and check it out and read about it and look at what trainers endorse and use it.

I do not work for them or get anything from them, I just own 1 vice breaker and wish I had known about it years ago.

brandobbie
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-12 10:36 AM (#101186 - in reply to #101185)

I will agree thats the zap collar I was talking about, but the other night he just seemed to ignore it. So I thought about switching sides on his neck but you have a good idea to around his back. How do you get it to stay inplace so it doesn't slid under his belly? I will agree this is a neat controll device I hop ethe other night was just a fluck and he won't ignore the shocking.
NancyL
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-03-12 11:14 AM (#101190 - in reply to #99355)

I just added an xtra stretchy strap (elastic with a hook to hook into the leather strap in the collar) so it will fit snug around the belly. I think it was a old elastic leg strap from a winter blanket with a bent hook so it is easy to get on and off.  

Is your battery dead and needs to be charged?

brandobbie
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-12 2:35 PM (#101208 - in reply to #101190)

No battery I usually charge it the day before we leave then turn it off when done, But I haven't checked the remote battery lately I wonder if that could decrease the strenght of it in anyway. I do have the dummie elec. strap but I also just found last night a whole new pack age od winter straps like you were talking about. So what made you put it on your horses back verses neck. If there was a way to get it to stay on his tail I sure would do it, I've tryied but I couldn't get it to stay on tight enough not to move or don't want it to tight that it cuts off circulation. Well this atleast opens different opions of where to place the collar. Thanks

what did you use it on your horse for?

NancyL
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-03-12 3:47 PM (#101216 - in reply to #99355)

I put it on the back because when I had it on the neck it made a horse head shy at first. Every horse is going to react differently and will need more or less correction. I use it for two that kicked the stall wall and one mare that is very aggressive to the other horses in the pasture. If you want something for the tail search steer saver on the internet. I think I saw it on NRS. It is the same type of thing but for a steer and with a velcro strap for their tail. I have tried the kick chains, yelling, whipping and I think this is the best way and you can correct them from the house, from teh truck driving down the road or up to 1/2 mile away. Tritronics will send you a cd to watch correction results.
brandobbie
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-13 8:32 AM (#101267 - in reply to #101216)

I will have to check out the steer one just incase I need back up, I was just thinking last night that I prob. need to change the battery in the remote part, it's been awhile. I don't know what had happened in the past of why he kicks so bad ( only when trailer is moving) but when he's kicking he means buisness, so I pray that it just the battery in the remote thats not really working. I'll tell ya ( shame on me) I bet the battery han't been changed for about 3 1/2 years. It was a lady's that I take care of her horses and she had it for one of her's, durr never thought about checking battery.  
Ringo Starr
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2009-05-05 9:45 PM (#104517 - in reply to #99355)

New User

have any of you that use the vice  breaker had any adverse reactions like the horse not loading after using it?
Barfly
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-05-06 1:05 AM (#104527 - in reply to #99355)

Veteran

On a lighter note:

I have a 4H slant load that is fitted with a camera so I can monitor the horses while we travel. On many occations I have wished that I had remote spankies fitted in each stall, that way when any of them play up, start kicking or try and put their heads over the divider and try and bite the horse next door I could just push a button and a small wip would give them a swift smack on the butt.....that would work a treat......hahahhaha....but it could work.

Good luck with your kicker....

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)