'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Condensation causing problems

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-01-05 3:15 PM
4 replies, 7437 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

st_pinetree
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2009-01-03 4:56 PM (#96861)
Subject: Condensation causing problems

Hopefully someone here can help me out. I'm having some problems with condensation causing leakage and water damage in my LQ. I'm fairly certain that it's not leaking anywhere, and I can see condensation leading to a couple drips that are causing me problems. The problem is limited to the rounder corner areas, they aren't insulated and have no vapor barrier so I think that is part of the problem. The condensation seems the worst now when the trailer is in storage (outside) and the weather is going from minus 10 to plus 40 from week to week.Is there any kind of vent that can be installed in the roof to help with condensation? Another weather related problem is a big crack formed in the wall of my shower during the last severe cold snap. I'm hoping they will fix this under warranty. Anyone else had that happen?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-01-03 6:03 PM (#96862 - in reply to #96861)
Subject: RE: Condensation causing problems

Expert

The only real cure for condensation is insulation. Whenever moist air comes into contact with a cool surface, it condenses and the moisture can no longer be held in suspension and separates into droplets. The only way to eliminate the problem, is to isolate the air from directly contacting the metal skin. This is best accomplished with insulation and a vapor barrier.

You may have some success during storage, by using an internal heat source such as a ceramic heater. This will reduce some of the humidity and may lessen the condensation. It will also help to stabilize the temperature extremes within your trailer, and lessen the physical damage.

The crack in the shower was likely caused, by the different materials of your trailer, expanding and contracting at different rates. When the panel is replaced, it should be attached with a flexible adhesive, that will allow it to "move" under the various temperatures your trailer experiences. Any screws should be installed in elongated holes, and not driven until the heads are tight. If the new panel is fastened securely, you will probably have a repeat of the same results you are now experiencing.

BOL  Gard

Edited by gard 2009-01-03 6:13 PM
st_pinetree
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2009-01-05 6:21 AM (#96937 - in reply to #96861)
Subject: Condensation causing problems

Thanks Gard. I've been shoveling all the snow off of the trailer religiously, I wonder if it would be better off with some snow on the roof. Last year I tarped it, but the wind flapping the tarp was hard on the finish. I wish I could put it under a roof.
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-01-05 6:51 AM (#96938 - in reply to #96861)

Elite Veteran

gard is right on all counts.  I use a small ceramic heater in my LQ in the winter and have for a couple of years.  I've found that a small heater does a world of good in helping the LQ survive the winter.  The heater I have is pretty small and I bought it at the local Ace Hardware.  It has a thermostat and when the temp gets warm enough in the trialer, the heater shuts off until it's needed again.  There are covers available for your trailer that are sort of custom fit.  I've seen several selections on Ebay and I guess they got started with big RV's and found a market in horse trailer with LQ's and big camper trailers?  Any way, a neighbor has a big 5th wheel camper and bought a custom cover for it and puts a tarp on over the cover.  He uses gallon mild jugs filled about half full of water to weight the tarp down to keep it from blowing.  Seems to work for him and you can experiment with what works for you?

Happy trails,

deranger

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-01-05 3:15 PM (#96971 - in reply to #96861)

Expert

ValleyVet carries a good number of trailer supplies. They sell the lined trailer covers that won't damage the finish.

Sorry to hear of your troubles though. Wow. I fixed up the interior of my 4' shortwall but did no plumbing. I never thought about the temp changes causing trouble.

To absorb "drips", buy a bag of Sweet PDZ. It is safe to sprinkle on any material. You can then vacuum it later. It might help in absorbing some moisture in the air - but I'm not sure how well it work for that.

Another trick is to use a string to "lead" drips and leaks where you want them. Unwaxed dental floss can be used if you don't have any thin string.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)