'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
New horse- keeps dropping his 'man part'...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-09-03 2:49 PM
7 replies, 14530 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Jenny_Thompson7
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-09-01 8:47 AM (#90779)
Subject: New horse- keeps dropping his 'man part'...

New User

I just got a new thoroughbred gelding(14 years old) and I regrettably did not get a vet check. Since bringing him home I have noticed that he drops in 'man part' rather frequently and I noticed that after I lunged him and was reorganizing myself to get on- he dripped a few drops of urine (i guess thats what it was...).

Does anyone have some insight to what may be causing this?

EXTRA INFO:

• He drinks plenty of water and I live in Houston so it is very hot and HUMID....
  • He is a retired racehorse....

you can respond to this or e-mail me directly at Jennifer_McLees@Baylor.edu 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-09-01 9:12 AM (#90780 - in reply to #90779)
Subject: RE: New horse- keeps dropping his 'man part'...

Expert

have you ever owned a gelding/stallion before? I am asking just to see if compared to other horses you have owned, perhaps this is "normal" behavior for this horse. Do he have any obvious discomfort while being ridden or while urinating?

If you are really not sure, call your vet. Its entirely possible there is nothing wrong but to ease your mind, it might be worth it. A vet check may not have discovered this problem ( if there is one) so don't think you did something wrong. A vet check is only good the day its done unless your doing blood work and x rays...

IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-09-01 11:59 AM (#90785 - in reply to #90779)

Elite Veteran

Hello,
New horse...congratulations! First of all...dropping for a gelding/stallion is NORMAL behavior. They do this when they are relaxed, half asleep or just plain enjoying life.

Now...with that in mind, I would check his sheath to rule out a dirty penis/sheath or a bean.

If you do not know how to do this I would highly recommmend that you have your vet do this!

The dripping urine kinda concerns me, other than that....a male horse dropping is normal. It's a boy thang! HA!

Also....did you know that some OTT horses are trained to unrinate on command? You may want to find out if he was trained in this manner, it';s very useful for collecting urine samples.

Enjoy your new boy. And after the vet has ruled out any health issues....just ignore the dropping, it's not a big deal....my pony Huginn does it all the time.

wendmil
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-09-02 12:25 PM (#90826 - in reply to #90779)

Veteran

Oh, and if you haven't had a boy horse before, be prepared for the time that he "plays" with himself.  I grew up with horses, but I've had friends that were a little taken aback by this.  

Ice Pony, I had never heard about OTTs being taught to urinate on command.  Any idea what kind of a "cue" might be used?    I'd like to try it on my guy.  How amuzing it would be to have a potty-trained horse!  LOL   Too bad they don't poop on cue.

Jenny_Thompson7
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-09-02 4:25 PM (#90835 - in reply to #90779)

New User

I know that they do, but he does it VERY often. I have had two gelding before this one, and they did sometimes, but I would say this one does it least twice as much. What really concerns me is the random drips....
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-09-02 5:34 PM (#90840 - in reply to #90826)

Elite Veteran

Ice Pony, I had never heard about OTTs being taught to urinate on command.  Any idea what kind of a "cue" might be used?    I'd like to try it on my guy.  How amuzing it would be to have a potty-trained horse!  LOL   Too bad they don't poop on cue.

HA!! Whistle. I was at the U of MN once with a ill mare. In the stall down the aisle from Star's, there was a TB stallion from Canterbury Track.

In the stall, a vet tech had a yard stick with a cup attached at the end. Outside the stall were about 3-4 vet students, all whistling to this horse. This went on for most of the day, I finally walked down to ask them ...what the heck they were doing.

They told me about the track whistling trick. This way, they can train a horse to pee after winning a race, it's done for drug testing.

Anywho....I was there for a few days, and each day...someone was whistling for this horse. HA!

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-09-02 6:48 PM (#90845 - in reply to #90835)

Expert

Originally written by Jenny_Thompson7 on 2008-09-02 4:25 PM

I know that they do, but he does it VERY often. I have had two gelding before this one, and they did sometimes, but I would say this one does it least twice as much. What really concerns me is the random drips....

which is why I'd be asking my vet if this is a problem.....

I also own geldings. When relaxed, they do drop their penis slightly, sometims all the way out of the sheath. but when they are asked to move or work, they slide it back up. I haven't noticed any dripping. Thats reason enough to pick up the phone and ask.

Edited by farmbabe 2008-09-02 6:49 PM
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-09-03 2:49 PM (#90906 - in reply to #90779)

Expert

THe primary cause could be a bean in the urethra.  If you know how to clean the sheath and remove the bean, and the horse is cooperative, you should be able to do this yourself.

If you are unsure or never done it before, you should have your vet come out and do the deed and show you how.

Plus, if it is NOT a bean - it could be some other "issue". I've seen horses that were not cleaned regularly - that were stalled where the problem is worse - develop "cauliflower" looking things in their sheath from the smegna and crud. It interferes with urinating. 

So - if he is urinating frequently, it's probably because he cannot fully empty his bladder at one time - plus it appears he does not have the control he should have.

So...  in summary. Clean his sheath thoroughly and remove any bean (sometimes there are more than 1).  If this does not help him. CALL your vet to examine him.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)