'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Which feature would YOU choose in a new trailer?

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-04-01 11:44 PM
36 replies, 9216 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-03-29 11:18 PM (#80642 - in reply to #80612)
Subject: RE: Which feature would YOU choose in a new trailer?

Expert

Originally written by Towfoo on 2008-03-29 5:30 PM

I'd go with the rumber floor. Makes the ride better for the horses.

Not an argument, just a couple of questions. How does a rubber/plastic composit flooring surface "make the ride better for the horses"? Why does a rigid flooring material become less tiring for a horse than a rubber padded surface?

Rubber mats over wood will lengthen its life span from the wear of a shod horse. Applying a deck sealant to the wood will lessen the amount of fluids it absorbs.

If I had a metal floor,and didn't want to mess with mats, I would get a Werm system from RTSmith

Gard

Edited by gard 2008-03-29 11:23 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
eclipse
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-03-30 6:50 AM (#80653 - in reply to #80642)

I am still looking for the article published by Texas A & M.
But here is at least the info from it.
www.iinet.com/~horsewheels/V1 I6 Horse Trailer Flooring.pdf

Basically, if you had to work standing on a cement floor all day,you would really appreciate rubber mats over top of it. But what if you could have a flooring that had no cement at all?
The rumber has "give" in the entire floor, not just a cushion on top. I may go a bit far, but I rode in the back of my friend's wooden floor trailer over a washboard gravel road. Then I rode in my rumber floor trailer over the same road. Night and day! And for a horse after as couple hundred miles, I imagine it is even more night and day.

Edited by eclipse 2008-03-30 6:58 AM
Towfoo
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-03-30 8:12 AM (#80662 - in reply to #80642)

Veteran

Originally written by gard on 2008-03-29 11:18 PM

Not an argument, just a couple of questions. How does a rubber/plastic composit flooring surface "make the ride better for the horses"? Why does a rigid flooring material become less tiring for a horse than a rubber padded surface?

Rigid flooring material is more tiring for the horse. Composite rubber flooring absorbs more road/vehicle vibration than wood or metal flooring. It also has no harmonic resonance that can conduct tire hum and harmonic "buzz." Rubber also insulates a little better than wood and way better than metal, so conduction of road heat to the trailer interior is reduced.

Rubber flooring is just a luxury for the horse, but that's what I'd pick if my only other choice was a pass thru door.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-03-30 10:46 AM (#80680 - in reply to #80653)

Expert

Originally written by eclipse on 2008-03-30 7:50 AM

I may go a bit far, but I rode in the back of my friend's wooden floor trailer over a washboard gravel road. Then I rode in my rumber floor trailer over the same road. Night and day! And for a horse after as couple hundred miles, I imagine it is even more night and day.

Thank you for your responses. In my wood working shop, I do have a concrete floor with rubber mats. It's the only way I can survive long hours of standing. In my first shop, I had a wooden floor, that presented the same problems. It was also partially rectified by the use of rubber mats.

In regard to your comments about the riding comfort in various trailers, are you comparing apples to apples? Were the trailers the same weight? Did they have the same tires and tire pressures? Did they have the same axles and suspension? Were they towed on the same part of the road, and at the same speed during the comparison?

There are a great many variables that effect the ride characteristics of any vehicle. Unless the two trailers were exactly compared, it would be difficult to say why one differs in ride from another.

Rumber is structurally more flexible than many species of wood, hence the reason the floor joists are spaced closer together. It may be the reason for the flexation you describe.

I don't think I am persuaded to spend more money for a Rumber system over the OEM metal or wood flooring with mat coverings. My trailers have aluminum floors that I've coated; they only require a singular mat removal and floor washing at the end of each show season. The mats offer comfort, insulation and sound deadening. They are relatively inexpensive, long lasting and easily replaced if damaged.

Thank you again for your responses. It is a good discussion.

Gard

eclipse
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-03-30 3:55 PM (#80709 - in reply to #80494)

You are quite correct that there could be other differences besides just the rumber flooring. In fact, the original experiment came about because I needed to haul horses on a day in the 90's for temps. I was concerned about the heat. I have an 18 foot on the floor gooseneck stock style slant load 4 horse trailer with 2 foot short wall dressing room. I had a friend drive and I rode in the back for 2 miles of paved highway at highway speeds, then 1 mile of washboard gravel road much slower, because that is where the horses live. I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of airflow and comfort. But I was SHOCKED at the ride smoothness on the gravel road. I loaded my horses and traveled with them in the 90 degree heat, and I am sure they were more comfortable than those of us in the cab with the air conditioning going. About a week later, I needed to move my old trailer, so decided to do this again. The old trailer is 16 foot on the floor stock type straight load 4 horse bumper-pull. Again it was empty, same road, same truck, but yes, an older trailer. Older axels, but nearly new wooden floor, and fairly new tires. Good air flow, but the one mile on gravel just about killed my 50 year old knees.

I am certain that rubber mats help a lot, but taking them out and cleaning under them is a nearly impossible task for me. The money spent on the rumber flooring is well spent so I never have to lift mats.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-03-30 8:57 PM (#80741 - in reply to #80494)

Expert

I empathize with you about the mats. I have been able to remove them by myself, but need my wife's assistance to replace them. Of course, now that I've learned a new trick courtesy of a forum member, I may be able to effect their replacement by myself. "Drill a hole in the corner of the mat, and use a hay hook with a T handle to pull it into the trailer". I'll be trying it in a few days.

Gard

Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-03-31 6:50 AM (#80768 - in reply to #80494)

Elite Veteran

ust one more opinion - I've had 2 2H trailers with the rumber floors and loved them - after 10 years the floor still looks new, no wear, no problems whatsoever above or below, and not heavy mats.  I now have a 2H LQ with an alumnium floor and wish I had the rumber.  I have the pass through door and an escape door which I haven't used at all, but like having it.  If I have to replace the alum floor I would go with a rumber floor - wish it was a standard option on more trailers.
Towfoo
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-03-31 7:51 AM (#80773 - in reply to #80680)

Veteran

Originally written by gard on 2008-03-30 10:46 AM

I don't think I am persuaded to spend more money for a Rumber system over the OEM metal or wood flooring with mat coverings

Me neither. I have wood floors and don't plan to replace them. I think the OP was looking at a factory option, though, which I assume is a lot cheaper than replacing an existing floor at retail cost (plus no old floor to store/sell/throw out). I'd probably jump on that kind of deal.

About the only negatives I can think of on the rumber flooring are that it's tongue and groove and probably doesn't drain as well, and it's more flammable than wood and especially metal. Not sure how flammable rumber is, but it might make a brake fire or flat tire fire a lot more of a problem.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-03-31 9:18 AM (#80784 - in reply to #80768)

Expert

Originally written by Dunoir on 2008-03-31 7:50 AM

If I have to replace the alum floor I would go with a rumber floor - wish it was a standard option on more trailers.

If you take care of your aluminum floor, you won't have to replace it.

Gard

jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-03-31 3:24 PM (#80818 - in reply to #80741)

Elite Veteran

In response to Guard-

The only way I was able to clean my trailer floors with mats, I pulled up one side and layed it over the other, rinsed the floor on one side and let dry. a couple hours later, flop that side back down. Falls right into place. I did the other side the same way. This way I didn't have to take the mats out of the trailer. It worked, just still a lot of work to even just pull one side over onto the other though! But- I am 5'2" 123LBS. If I can do that anyone can!

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-03-31 4:30 PM (#80825 - in reply to #80818)

Expert

Originally written by jackbrat on 2008-03-31 4:24 PM

In response to Guard-

The only way I was able to clean my trailer floors with mats, I pulled up one side and layed it over the other, rinsed the floor on one side and let dry. a couple hours later, flop that side back down. Falls right into place. I did the other side the same way. This way I didn't have to take the mats out of the trailer. It worked, just still a lot of work to even just pull one side over onto the other though! But- I am 5'2" 123LBS. If I can do that anyone can!

Jackbrat

Thank you for your ideas on mat and floor cleaning. Fortunately I don't have to remove my trailer mats very often. The folding idea would work on the front and middle pieces, but the back mats are fitted under the moveable tack bulkheads and cannot be manipulated as you suggest. It's easier and faster for me to drag them out, which I can do by myself. Getting them reinstalled is difficult for me alone, but with my wife's help, it only takes a few minutes.

Thanks again    Gard

FrancaV
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-04-01 11:44 PM (#80933 - in reply to #80494)
Subject: It depends....

Regular

LOL - not very helpful I know! Personally I would go with the Rumber floor because I have absolutely no use for a pass-through door into the horse compartment. But clearly lots of other people do. ;) I considered a pass-through door briefly and decided that I wanted the DR wall space for a bunch of extra hooks. And my trailer has the DR door on the driver's side plus an escape door so it's no big deal to walk from the DR door to the escape door if for some reason I need to get directly from one space to the other. But so far I don't see myself needing to do that very often. Depends on how you plan to use the trailer. Whereas I would go for Rumber flooring in a heartbeat. (Got WERM on my aluminum floor.) Just say 'no' to rubber mats and slick surfaces. :)
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)