'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trail Safety/Stayin' Alive

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-01-31 6:27 PM
29 replies, 10232 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-01-29 11:25 PM (#75573 - in reply to #75564)
Subject: RE: Trail Safety/Stayin' Alive

Expert

I had forgotten about this man,Scott,but when I viewed his website,I remembered reading an article that he had written for one of the horse magazines and he is a very good teacher.

Once again,and I want to stress the point that I certainly am NOT anti-gun or for gun control as most of us view gun control folks,I say that for the average rider,especially women,having a gun in our saddlebag or on our person/horse is one thing,and pulling it to kill somebody on the trail is another entirely different matter.

It takes a lot of "something from way down someplace" in most of us to actually see the power in our hands jump from there with the certain means to kill a person.If I were in my home in mortal danger,or out in my car on a lonely road broken down,and a stranger were to be breaking in on me,I know their intent is more than likely to kill me.I would be compelled at the last minute to shoot.

But from my saddle on the trail? How am I going to judge if I am actually in mortal danger or not? I am sure that until the very last split second,Meredith Emerson and others were suckered by Gary Hilton into thinking,"gee,what a friendly outdoors loving guy with his dog." Had they had any inkling what was going to happen,they would have never gotten themselves that close to him to start.Legally it could ALWAYS be argued by a clever attorney for a family that "he was only out for a hike/ATVride/hunting when he came across this horse and rider who just shot him!" there are a lot of "ifs ands and buts" that would come out in a trial,and the burden of proof would be on the rider,especially if there was no witness .

We think now in the safety of our surroundings that it would be easy to do it,were we faced with it.But it wouldn't be.Many women don't even like being around or handling guns.I've never ridden with a gun on my horse,I've handled and shot firearms since a young girl,so I'm not afraid of them.But I've just never really considered having one on a trail with me.Maybe if I rode alone a lot,yes,perhaps.But I'd darn well better be prepared to use it and back myself up later,and be prepared for the follow up after  shooting an individual.

Would a gun have helped Meredith Emerson? I doubt it.The element of surprise was what went against her,and in Gary Hilton's favor.And that is the same element that will work for or against us as riders on the trail.I know it is not really advisable to yell at everyone we come across on a trail,but as I've said,and others have said,the gut instincts usually won't lie.It's our Maker's way of letting us know that we are about to be in great danger and to take heed.If we sense someone just "isn't right" that we've encountered,it's time to cut it short even if it means looking unfriendly or rude,and ride away,at a gallop if need be.

Most of us that ride aren't law enforcement or trained in those arts.But we don't have to be in order to survive.Common sense and planning ahead so we'll keep our cool and our lives can make the difference.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
trailridinladee
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-01-30 3:30 PM (#75631 - in reply to #74436)

All very good reasons to read up on how to be savy with your instincts and use your horse as your weapon.  Scot does not suggest guns to everyone, he stresses being knowledgeable about how to get out of a situation without one, which I agree.  When I said I carry one I was stressing that I took classes for training and carrying one and the first classes were all about the legal and moral issues to make people think.  I really carry one just in case a horse gets mortally injured and needs be to put down.  I would not hesitate to use my horse as my weapon.  It does get people thinking... Take care  Pam
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-01-30 8:34 PM (#75668 - in reply to #75631)

Expert

If you've ever watched a police horse work,which I have,in New Orleans one night,you will see the immediate caution and respect for their back end that folks on foot will develop.Somebody on foot is rarely a match for a rider sitting up on a 1000+lb animal with a big backside and 4 lethal weapons on the end of its' legs called hooves.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-01-30 9:07 PM (#75672 - in reply to #74436)

Expert

Very true.  My nephew, a Deputy Sheriff, is also the head of the Mounted Patrol/ Mounted Search and Rescue.  We have done some involved training for security and crowd control as well as SAR, and people on the ground, especially non-horse people, can be very leery of the size and business end of a mount... an effect possibly enhanced by the vision of the armed mounted officer up there too!
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-01-31 6:27 PM (#75764 - in reply to #75573)

Expert

Yahoo US News just posted a story that can be read by doing a search on Yahoo US News and the topic "Drifter Guilty in Ga.Hiker's Murder." The link itself is too long and I wasn't able to copy and paste it here.

Gary Michael Hilton was given a life sentence at age 61.Video can be seen on the website of wsb-tv Atlanta.

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2008-01-31 6:58 PM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)