'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
What tire pressure for 6 horse tandem?

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-12-11 2:52 PM
26 replies, 8931 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-12-11 1:58 PM (#72784 - in reply to #72777)
Subject: RE: What tire pressure for 6 horse tandem?

Expert

Originally written by chadsalt on 2007-12-11 10:30 AM

Not that I disagree with max pressure in trailer tires.........BUT Carlisle also says not to exceed 60 mph. Apparently Carlisle makes an inferior grade product, not defective as in blow outs, but inferior as the "industry standard" for ST tires is 65 mph. So I take that into account when considering the rest of their "advice"

Chadsalt ... By your last post, I surmise, you think good logical advice is tainted by its source.  You can choose your opinion based on your belief.  But unless you're fooling yourself, facts are not to be selected.

Anyway ... I hope you trust this source better.

http://www.goodyear.com/rv/weighing/weigh_trailer.html

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-12-11 2:52 PM (#72789 - in reply to #72784)
Subject: RE: What tire pressure for 6 horse tandem?

Expert

Originally written by hosspuller on 2007-12-11 1:58 PM
Originally written by chadsalt on 2007-12-11 10:30 AM

Not that I disagree with max pressure in trailer tires.........BUT Carlisle also says not to exceed 60 mph. Apparently Carlisle makes an inferior grade product, not defective as in blow outs, but inferior as the "industry standard" for ST tires is 65 mph. So I take that into account when considering the rest of their "advice"

Chadsalt ... By your last post, I surmise, you think good logical advice is tainted by its source.  You can choose your opinion based on your belief.  But unless you're fooling yourself, facts are not to be selected.

Anyway ... I hope you trust this source better.

http://www.goodyear.com/rv/weighing/weigh_trailer.html

Thank you for the link, but my tire knowledge wasnt in question (nor was I questioning yours).  I tend to take the whole picture into account. Personally I wouldnt quote Carlisle for ANY type of tire related info. The link for Goodyear (a much better choice IMO) displays exactly what Im talking about. People typically assume max psi is the only answer...hard to go wrong with max psi, but it is not the only answer.

Case in point, a lady I know purchased a Calico 2H BP, 12' x 6' on the floor, GVWR 7000#. That trailer came with ST235/80/16 tires, 80psi. Loaded with horses I doubt that trailer weights 5000#. At 80 psi that trailer is one SOB (and probably dangerous as I doubt it ever has more than one tire on the ground) to pull down a bumpy road, loaded isnt much better. I dont know what psi she ended up at, but 80 psi certainly wasnt right. Saleman told her a 16" tire would be "better".  That size tire was a horrible mismatch for that trailer, bigger/max is not always better.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)