'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Tying a Horse in a trailer

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-05-09 12:30 AM
32 replies, 8887 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

FrancaV
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-05-04 2:05 PM (#60409 - in reply to #60378)
Subject: RE: Tying a Horse in a trailer

Regular

Originally written by AbbyB on 2007-05-03 3:48 PM

We use the pin thru the loop on the Tie Blocker rings (comes w/them). I was concerned about someone "helping themselves" to the ones on the outside of the trailer, so we got padlocks & put them thru - now they are safe from theives, but we can remove them if we choose.
Thanks, Abby!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2007-05-04 2:40 PM (#60412 - in reply to #58200)

you can make a tie ring easily, just cut the d-ring off your old cinch, tie some rope to secure the ring to whatever you are tying to, then loop your lead thru the ring- easy use for you old cinch d's
equiteacher
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-05-04 3:33 PM (#60415 - in reply to #58200)

Regular

Hey, TX. Vaquero, cinch rings do work great, but not quite as well as Blocker Tie Rings because of the "catch" at the bottom of the Blockers. However, for the price difference old cinch rings do work VERY well.

Be sure to run your lead rope from the back of the cinch ring, around the tongue and back out toward the back of the ring. That way when the horse puts tension on the rope and ring, it pulls the tongue up against the ring.

Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2007-05-04 6:51 PM (#60417 - in reply to #60415)

duh- thanks for enlightening me. Yeah, price difference, something versus free. Everybody should have old cinches laying around trying to figure out what to do with them. If they don't, they can pm me and I'll send a pickup load.
Dawnya
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-05-04 9:27 PM (#60418 - in reply to #60295)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by minebray on 2007-05-02 8:50 AM

Originally written by Philippa on 2007-04-01 10:56 PM

My tie rings are placed high and I am using a 30" trailer tie with shock absorber and panic snap on one side attached to the trailer tie ring. 

Please be careful when using those shock absorbing ties.  They can cause a pretty serious injury to a horses face if they break.  Have you ever had a bungee cord break and snap back at you, it is the same thing.  I do have personal experience with this luckily the horse was not hit in the eye but had a pretty good whelp right below it.  Not sure why it broke, perhaps age, fatigue, unseen damage but it did.

I use the bungee ties also.
My dipsh!t gelding pulled back and it snapped.
No chance it could hit him in the eye as he was already at warp nine reverse by then.

equiteacher
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-05-05 2:00 AM (#60422 - in reply to #58200)

Regular

Hey TX. Vaquero, just the first part of the message was for you, in agreement.  The how-to part was meant for those out there who are rope/knot- challenged and would think you and I were nuts every time they slipped the lead rope over the tongue, or from front to back and back out the front, and VOILA, the tongue just opens up and everybody's yelling, "LOOSE HORSE." Want to trade some of your old cinches for some of mine? LOL.

Sheree
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2007-05-06 10:43 PM (#60487 - in reply to #60375)

Hi Franca,
Sorry I did not answer sooner. I was out of town two days helping a friend haul horses. I think someone else answered your question, though. I use the part that comes with the blocker that has the screw in pin to just put it on the trailer tie loops inside. The idea someone posted of using a lock to secure the blocker when used on the outside of the trailer is a great idea. I know some people who secure a loop of chain to a blocker and then just loop that over posts in their fence when they want to move a horse from one spot to another around the barn. The idea of using a cinch ring is good only if you don't have a really strong horse. My mare, Freckles, could easily just bend that tongue and pull it through on most cinches I have seen. The blocker is made of tough stuff. It has passed the Freckles test. :0)
FrancaV
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-05-09 12:30 AM (#60597 - in reply to #60487)

Regular

Thanks, Sheree. Yep, got a good answer. :) My Blocker tie ring is not currently being used and I come across it every once in awhile when I'm digging through my stuff looking for other items. Hope I can find it again when I actually need it, LOL! Although if I get a 3H or 4H stock trailer I think I'm destined to get one or two more of 'em anyhow.

Freckles sounds like a good test subject for equipment. ;)
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)