'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
new trailer - Horse hates it

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-05-19 9:06 AM
37 replies, 7351 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

qhgirl
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-05-15 9:54 AM (#41729 - in reply to #41431)
Subject: RE: new trailer - Horse hates it

Veteran

Thanks for the information everyone.  This weekend was a breakthrough for us.  I hooked up Saturday am, pulled it and parked it at my boarding barn all weekend.  Practiced loading and unloading all weekend, both days.  Poor guy.  ;)

Knowing my horse and his limitations... I hooked him up with a lunge rope, (having gloves on) and ran the other end through the front tie and back to me to control.  Like a pully method.  We worked loading alone.  I want him to self load, so I don't have to go in with him now.  I threw his other rope over his neck and walked him up to it.  He stopped, I then proceded to use my "whip".. (don't jump on me yet) and tapped him on the rear.  He pulled once and then looked at me, I told him to get in there... smacked him again and then he took a step closer.  I of course stopped tapping him and asked him again get in there... tapping on the rear and he jumped in, I closed the butt bar and he was loaded.  This is where most won't agree with me, but I walked around to the front and proceded to let him eat out of the bucket with grain in it with his neck out the window.  He of course blew and snorted but of course enjoyed his grain bite.  I then went and unloaded him.  I prefer to unload him by going in the area with him so he doesn't get used to flying out.  SO I did that and it took him 3 minutes to back out on his own, letting him get used to it, took him over and let him eat grass for a few mintues and let him relax more. 

We repeated this for 4 times, he never pulled back again, but I had to use the lunge line just to keep his head straight.  Again treats and praise and grain bite.  (Yes had hay there too like I would when we travel) to have him used to the whole situation.  After this, I walked him up to grab the lunge line to snap it on him again, and before I got the snap, he jumped in.  SOOOO I left him be, gave him his bite of grain and let him stand there for a good 5 minutes.  He was fine, unloaded and then actually went to grab the whip to take it back in the barn and he just jumped back in.. SO we went ahead and did the "routine" and ended on that note. 

The following day I went out again, opened it all up and got ready, walked him up, he hesitated, I walked him in a circle again and re-positioned him to go in and he did.. with no problem.  We did that 2 more times and then took a "trip" around the area. 

SO all in all, he realized the trailer is to stay... and he is getting more comfortable in it.  :)  YEA!!!!!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
windwalker2
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-05-15 11:48 AM (#41738 - in reply to #41431)

Extreme Veteran

Glad to see you used the "tapping on the rear end technique".  Like I said in my previous post,,,,,,,,,it's worked for me everytime.........although I must say some horses do take longer than others.  I think the longest time for me was 20 minutes of continued tapping .......my poor arm was killing me.......but that silly horse "finally" had enough of it and hopped on!

laura
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-05-15 3:52 PM (#41752 - in reply to #41431)

A GREAT METHOD T OGET YOUR HORSE TO WANT TO LOAD IS BY GIVING HIM A WORKOUT OUTSIDE OF THE TRAILER AND WHEN HE GOES TO THE TRAILER HE CAN REST GRADUALLY WORK IT SO HE ONLY GETS TO REST INSIDE OF THE TRAILER FOR MORE OF THE TECHNIQUE CHECK OUT CLINTON ANDERSON YOU WILL BE ABSOLUTELY FLOORED
qhgirl
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-05-16 8:46 AM (#41776 - in reply to #41738)

Veteran

Originally written by windwalker2 on 2006-05-15 11:48 AM

Glad to see you used the "tapping on the rear end technique".  Like I said in my previous post,,,,,,,,,it's worked for me everytime.........although I must say some horses do take longer than others.  I think the longest time for me was 20 minutes of continued tapping .......my poor arm was killing me.......but that silly horse "finally" had enough of it and hopped on!

Well my "tapping" was more of a you better get in there tap.  I am sure maybe not exactly the same tapping that you may have done.  There is no way in holy you know what that I would tap for 20 minutes.  I am sorry I am the type, I will give you a shot, you try it and if you don't, it progressivly gets harder taps.  I know my horse and his limitations and I wasn't even close to upsetting him, but after a few minutes of "tapping" he got the point for his best interest he better get in.  ;)
windwalker2
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-05-16 9:56 AM (#41780 - in reply to #41776)

Extreme Veteran

I agree with you.  I didn't own that horse. We had driven up to the auction to check out some hay for sale on a Saturday morning  and these two men were trying to get this "Thorobred" into a very very very small trailer. (Poor thing.) They had purchased her the night before at auction.  The guy that owned the trailer said they had been trying for 3 hours to load her and he'd had enough.  He was going to leave this horse there. Now, the poor guy that actually purchased her didn't know what to do and didn't have anyone else to trailer this horse.  (like 70 miles one way).  Said it was the first horse he ever owned. (scary, huh?)  Soooo I, (the nice person that I am) proceeded.  Trust me, if it was my horse, it would have been loaded a heck of lot quicker.  I really felt sorry for this guy but more so this horse that was so terrified to begin with,(ie; new owner, small trailer, etc.) made me hang in there.  Like I said, I must have "tapped" for 20 minutes, but when she kicked out at me I knew her next step would be to go forward!  (she was pissed for sure).

Boy we  horse people sure have a million stories we can tell, huh?

barry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-05-16 11:23 AM (#41785 - in reply to #41752)

Veteran

Originally written by laura on 2006-05-15 3:52 PM

A GREAT METHOD T OGET YOUR HORSE TO WANT TO LOAD IS BY GIVING HIM A WORKOUT OUTSIDE OF THE TRAILER AND WHEN HE GOES TO THE TRAILER HE CAN REST GRADUALLY WORK IT SO HE ONLY GETS TO REST INSIDE OF THE TRAILER FOR MORE OF THE TECHNIQUE CHECK OUT CLINTON ANDERSON YOU WILL BE ABSOLUTELY FLOORED

Except when you consider some horses actually have a brain and become conditioned or as some of these "famous" people say patterned to this.  I have actually seen people who subscribe to some of these "training" techniques who developed a pattern of working their horse every time they want to load.  There are times I want to run to the pasture, grab a green, fresh horse and load and go.

As I stated earlier, I subsribe to the theory that a horse needs to respond to your cue when you ask and not when they want.  Otherwise you may find yourself on a trail, road, etc. where it is important that the horse do what you want and not cause you to get hurt.

crazyhorse woman
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-05-16 11:48 AM (#41787 - in reply to #41431)

I agree with Barry.  A horse is a horse of course of course.  We must remember that.  You can only whisper to a horse so often, then you must let them know who is the boss and who makes the rules.  I in no way manhandle or abuse my horses but they know when I mean business (and I certainly don't have the patience that 20 minutes would take)  They will try to get away with something (just like kids do) and all it ususally takes is to raise my voice a little or a wake up jerk on the lead. 
qhgirl
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-05-16 12:10 PM (#41788 - in reply to #41431)

Veteran

I am so glad there are people on here that think just like me.  ;

I just didn't know how to "put it" without sounding bad.  You guys summed it up for me.. thanks!

qhgirl
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-05-16 12:20 PM (#41790 - in reply to #41431)

Veteran

Another loading story I heard about.  The monday before I practiced, we have a guy come to the barn to "train" on a particular method.  I do not however have him help me.  BUT there are a few that follow his every rule and whim.  Well there was a horse that would not load, he started to work the horse to load in a friends trailer, they have a ramp 2 horse slant bumper pull.  He hooked up and proceded to do a trailer session.  Up to the trailer and the horse freaks, one foot on the horse freaks, he circles, and works it next to the trailer, up and down the barn (outside by the windows) and proceeds to get all the horses running in their stalls because they can only see 1/10 of what is going on out the window.  There is a horse flying up and down working its you know what off.  They proceed to try for 3 hours... the horse is dripping wet, welt marks from the "rope" and stick and the horse has only got 2 feet on the ramp.  The owner is over on a rock crying while the trainer is working this horse.  The owner finally asks, is she just scared or it is a respect issue.  He proceeds to let the owner know, both plus she is a B($&&H.  SOO now the owner is balling, the mare finally gives in after circle upon tiny circle running as fast as she can "working"... and she jumps in... finally.  He lets her sit for a minute and unhooks her and she flys out.  He is done.  That was it.  That is all he wanted. 

Yes you have a point to "training" but the basics have to be there to use this method.  Just wonder if another method might have helped this mare out more.  HUM. 

I did not see this happen, this was from the owner or I might have been asked to leave the barn.  There is a point where he lost the horse mentally and didn't accomplish anything.

crazyhorse woman
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-05-16 12:49 PM (#41794 - in reply to #41431)

Did this "trainer" actually own a horse or is just an expert?  Common sense seems to go out the window on this one (the same window the horse was running by)  It's one thing to work the horse but to have the owner crying and the horse dripping wet and stressed.  This is the one person I wouldn't want at my barn doing anything!  I've seen some guys who get all macho when these things happen and will work it into the ground.  Sounds like a bad situation.  It's a wonder someone didn't get hurt on this.
qhgirl
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-05-16 1:55 PM (#41799 - in reply to #41431)

Veteran

He is "certified".. believe that.

Well the barn owners should have caught wind of this now.  Not my battle... he doesn't "hurt" me, nor do I buy into his stuff. 

But I agree...  :) the battle was lost a long time ago with that mare.  He just made it 100 times worse.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-05-18 4:57 PM (#41916 - in reply to #41799)

Expert

I've seen a "certified" trainer that I wouldn't let touch my horses.  She was bragging about being Perilli certified and how her 17 horses all rode/handled perfectly and when she showed them to me I was stunned.  You could count the ribs on everyone of them and several had saddle sores.  She had a 22 yr old blind mare in a 3x5 tie stall and said she was in the pasture with her full sister (that she had been with and depended on since birth) but she was eating the bark off the trees so she seperated them.  The mare was terrified to be alone.
crazyhorse woman
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-05-19 9:06 AM (#41947 - in reply to #41431)

Gee, I wonder what Mr. Parelli would think of that.  If they are going to lend their good name to people they should be checking these people out.  That is inhumane to leave that horse alone in that small stall. 
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)