'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Poll trailer chains

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-05-27 10:19 AM
32 replies, 8497 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-05-08 7:20 AM (#41419 - in reply to #39693)
Subject: RE: trailer chains

Elite Veteran

The rings for the chains were a part of my hitch assembly with the pop-up hitch. With the turnover I had to have rings welded to the frame of my truck. 
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gus
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-05-08 8:34 AM (#41422 - in reply to #39693)

Veteran

food for thought can anyone find where the laws say what you have to hook the chains to? could be a coat hanger welded to the bed great law?
longearsrule
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-05-08 10:33 AM (#41440 - in reply to #41418)

Extreme Veteran

Had some friends pulling a bumper pull and when they were in the middle of a curve the trailer came off and passed them. Luckily it was on a county road, no traffic and it went into a pasture. Horses shook up but not hurt. They were "just going a short ways down the road, why hook up chains?"
RoperChick
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-05-08 4:02 PM (#41463 - in reply to #41440)

Veteran

Last year I saw a trailer come off of the ball of an SUV pulling one of those bumper pull U-haul box trailers.  It did have the chains attached to the tow vehicle, the trailer was dancing around all over the place, but the driver handled it well and managed to pull to the side of the road safely.  Had the trailer not had chains, it could have killed or seriously injured someone sharing the interstate.

When it comes to hauling, we aren't nervous, but we do all that we can to make sure we have a safe trip.  We always lock the coupler, attach the breakaway cable and use the chains.  In addition, My husband and I each do a walkaround before going anywhere with the trailer.  I could never live with myself, if I injured my family, someone else or my horses because I didn't take all the necessary precautions when towing.

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-05-25 1:33 PM (#42260 - in reply to #39693)

Elite Veteran

Use your chains and make sure they are up to the task!!! If your trailer comes off you are liable,it ait worth cuttin corners !!also make sure your emergency stop battery is working incase it does pull off the brakes will set.Be safe !
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-05-25 3:13 PM (#42263 - in reply to #39693)

Expert

My vet has some Quarter horses at his clinic right now from a roll over accident.  The guy wasn't using chains. He said the guy told him that he hit a bump in the road and the trailer popped off the truck and went off the shoulder and flipped.  All six horses somehow survived (trailer didn't) but several are seriously injured.  Two of the ones at the clinic just have cuts all over, but one has a fractured leg that is now in a cast.  They think it will end his racing career.  I don't know about the other 3 they were sent to a different office. 
krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-05-27 12:39 AM (#42313 - in reply to #41087)

Elite Veteran

Hooking up the safety chains on my friend's rig saved her horse, truck and trailer. She was pulling a 2 horse bumper pull and she forgot to latch it on the ball. 2 miles from home she hit a bump in the road and her trailer came unhooked. Since she CROSSED her chains, the trailer came to rest on the chains and she was able to stop safely. She was probably going about 50 mph and her horse never knew what was going on. If she did not have the chains hooked up, the trailer could has easily rolled off the road. Trailer would have been totaled and I'm sure the horse would have been hurt. I always use my chains whether it be a BP or GN. I would rather have my rig messed up than my trailer getting away and hurting/killing some innocent person. As the cop said before, here in Oregon, you can be charged with vehicular manslaughter if my trailer got away and killed someone. And if I was doing something illegal, my insurance would not cover it. I would be sued for everything. I would hate to lose my house and everthing I own just because I wouldn't hook up my chains.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-05-27 10:19 AM (#42319 - in reply to #39693)

Expert

Of the entire process of hooking up the trailer, hooking the chains is the easiest. And since I am right there locking the coupler, might as well do up the chains. They are factory chains so i am assuming they will hold if the trailer ever did its own thing. I did have a small BP trailer, not a horse trailer just a slatted side ultitiy trailer, that bounced off the ball, no chains. thank gosh is rolled into the ditch and not crossed the highway.Nothing was in the trailer. It was scary none the less.

We also live the michigan and have never been pulled over to check chains. we haul with a BP for livestock and again, never been pulled over so to say its done routinely is a bit of a stretch. it probably happens but not routinely.

Edited by farmbabe 2006-05-27 10:23 AM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)