'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailering long distance and horse accommodations

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-12-06 8:38 PM
28 replies, 8084 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2009-12-05 8:02 PM (#113990 - in reply to #113974)
Subject: RE: Trailering long distance and horse accommodations

Extreme Veteran

I usually tie in the trailer long enough so the horse can move around easily and put their heads down. I have had more issues with not tying horses in a trailer myself so I tie them.  I always give hay in a hay bag. I hate nets because they are easy for a horse to get caught up in. Giving hay actually can help a horse to hold some water in the gut. I offer water at stops and I usually don't like to drive over 10 hours as I hate sitting in the truck longer than that. I sometimes use shipping boots and sometimes I don't. Depends on how I'm loading/unloading and depends on the horse and the weather. There are many pros and cons to wrapping or not. Your choice.

How you drive and the type of rig will determine a lot on how your horse fairs on your trip. A larger trailer will typically give a better ride overall than a smaller trailer.  I don't take my horses out en route, I just offer water and stop long enough for them to rest and pee (usually when I have to pee, which is fairly often...). The horse is constantly moving to balance and is getting plenty of exersize just riding in there.

There is a lot of good advice already posted. Line up your trip and make sure you have a plan 'B' and even a plan 'C' for just in case. I think you will be fine in the time frame you chose.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-12-06 4:14 AM (#113996 - in reply to #113864)

Expert

Don't forget.....  http://www.usrider.org/index2.html

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-12-06 11:10 AM (#114001 - in reply to #113864)

Expert

Yes to USRider.

ANOTHER thing I forgot;
On THAT route - it depends what you call "Early Spring", but do get a 4 day forecast for the lakes and listen to the radio stations along the way for "lake effect snow" just about all the way from Chicago to Buffalo.
It can be worth talking to truckers at fuel stops about exactly this too.

Rockyroad
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2009-12-06 8:38 PM (#114027 - in reply to #113864)

Regular

I've done many across country hauls w/my horses, the most recent this summer from NW MT to MI & then back again.  I do NOT unload during the day - even tho my horses are broke, very experienced, etc, I am NOT taking a chance on what "can" happen.  I am also by myself most of the time & need to be able to handle any situation alone.  I sell & use a hay bag that is all net - they are great!  I keep it full of hay, & soak it down good with water before I hang it in the trailer - gives them something to munch on & adds moisture to their gut.  I also feed their soaked beet pulp w/a handful of grain to keep all systems "go" & put their Fastrack in w/it too - as well as carry a tube of the Fastrack paste w/me at all times.  My vet always supplies me w/emergency drugs too that are always on hand & I know how to use.  I get on the road early, make fuel stops & a longer fuel/food stop 1/2 way thru the day & overnite somewhere where the horses can stretch out & roll, run, etc - & then rest & eat for the night.  US Rider is a GREAT peace of mind! 
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)