'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
all aluminum va steel frame

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-09-19 9:51 PM
31 replies, 8922 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

pegasusjeff
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-09-19 11:56 AM (#91771 - in reply to #91765)
Subject: RE: all aluminum va steel frame

New User

Thanks hopefully someday i can be an elite veteran also
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-09-19 12:13 PM (#91773 - in reply to #91760)

Elite Veteran

I currently have a steel frame/aluminum skin trailer... I live on the coast in south Texas and the salt air has played hob with my steel.. My husb and I spent most of a day drill-sanding (no where to rent a sandblaster) all steel areas seeable and reachable, then painting it with rustoleum.. looks much better now.. The integrity of the supports is fine, we caught it in time...I just don't like it looking so raggedy and it ticks me off that my 6 year old trailer has deteriorated so quickly..
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-09-19 3:49 PM (#91782 - in reply to #91602)

Expert

There are applications that can be used to prevent immediate rusting on steel.

Powder coating, galvaneal, etc.

I remember camping on Padre Island and taking the car through the "bottom sprayers" at the car washes in CC / Port Aransas when we headed back to San Antonio. Of course, that was in the early 1980s when automakers weren't so careful about what or how they constructed US cars. 

So... your situation may warrant something different than what those in North Texas, AZ, NM,Utah, etc. may require.  Here in the north, we have constant wet. Frequent trips through high-bay car washes and regularly applied coats of auto wax helps. : )

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-09-19 3:57 PM (#91784 - in reply to #91753)

Expert

Originally written by ridingarocky on 2008-09-19 9:31 AM

...Since I was under the impression that this was one of the top-of-the-line manufacturers,

Top of the line ADVERTISERS does not necessarily mean top of the line product.

A sales person for ANY product will always tell you how good their OWN product is. : )

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-09-19 4:08 PM (#91785 - in reply to #91602)

Expert

Posted by gard:How thick was the aluminum sheeting used on the trailer? Some of the "Lite" trailers only have skins of fifty thousandths or less. Better built trailers have increasingly thicker skins. In addition, what was the wall stud thickness? 1", 1 1/2", thicker? Have you routinely seen holes in the sides of well built trailers that have enjoyed good reputations?

The wall was close to 2" inches thick with rubber, alum, insulation, alum. It was a Sundowner trailer. 3H slant GN with 4' SW. 1998 or 1999 model, rear tack. I don't KNOW how thick the alum was. If the trailer is built to carry horses it should be strong enough to handle a horse kicking it. Horses kick. Good Horses kick. If a top of the line horse trailer mfg uses skimpy products... shame on them. The people buying the trailers - particularly the "lite" or small ones are on small budgets and are trusting the manufacturers to make a safe product. You wouldn't be so smug or feeling so dang smart if you could have seen the young teen when she returned from Michigan State University vererinary clinic and had to clean the blood out of the trailer. The blood from her "going to Congress" QH. This was HER horse. She and her father trusted the mfr/ sales people that they were buying a great trailer. We suspect the horse fell when dear old dad was taking a turn too fast and the mare kicked out trying to get herself back up. Dad saw the leg in the side view mirror and as he was pulling over, she pulled the leg back in. Pretty god awful mess is what I saw when they got back after leaving the mare at the state university.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-09-19 4:22 PM (#91786 - in reply to #91602)

Expert

Top of the line prices, are not a true reflection of the trailer's construction and quality, as proven by various posters in this forum. More money doesn't always equate into a better product. Only a personal inspection and knowledge of the trailer, can lessen the chances of being sold an inadequate unit.

By definition, a horse trailer is built and sold for the transportation of horses. At Congress, I witnessed most potential customers more concerned with crown moldings, twinkling lights and curtain colours, than axle and tire ratings, hardware, weld quality and types of materials. I wonder if these buyer's priorities were the same when they purchased their homes. No house is any better than its foundation, and any structure is only as good as its weakest component.

With the costs of these trailers being anything but insignificant, due diligence is necessary to get what you need and what you're paying for.

Gard

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-09-19 9:51 PM (#91804 - in reply to #91785)

Expert

Originally written by gabz on 2008-09-19 5:08 PM

The wall was close to 2" inches thick with rubber, alum, insulation, alum. It was a Sundowner trailer.   We suspect the horse fell when dear old dad was taking a turn too fast and the mare kicked out trying to get herself back up. Dad saw the leg in the side view mirror and as he was pulling over, she pulled the leg back in. Pretty god awful mess is what I saw when they got back after leaving the mare at the state university.

I can't imagine how much pressure was involved for an animal to completely puncture those multiple layers. It must have been completely panicked and pumped full of adrenalin.

Gard

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)