'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Finishing inside nose of Trails West GN

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-07-28 6:41 AM
5 replies, 6163 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

roan critter
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-07-23 7:12 PM (#88120)
Subject: Finishing inside nose of Trails West GN

Expert of all Expert...

A few years ago I had the DR of my TW GN converted to a small LQ. Due to the size of my mattress, I opted not to have storage/cabinets built into the nose. The inside of the nose appears to be fiberglass, and there are no supports.

To help make cooling the LQ more efficient, and prevent condensation during the winter, I would like to insulate the nose. There are no interior supports to drill into, and would otherwise drill directly into the skin, which doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

What is the best way to go about doing it? Do I just glue sections of foam board insulation directly to the nose (fiberglass)?

If I wanted to cover the insulation, would I need to somehow (glue?) attach some furring strips that stood out further than the insulation to ensure I created an air gap? And in doing so, install the foam board between such strips.

Any other ideas?

Edited by roan critter 2008-07-23 7:13 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-07-24 1:14 PM (#88184 - in reply to #88120)
Subject: RE: Finishing inside nose of Trails West GN

Expert

Personally, I prefer to not use adhesives in the sleeping area.

How far back, from the front of the trailer, is it fiberglass? If it's only the very front wall, and you have some wood on the floor of the sleeping area, you might be able to build a free-standing type framework. Anchor it to the floor of the sleeping area, and let the insulation rest against the fiberglass. If you use the thick sheets of styrofoam insulation, it will probably squeak and rub, but it shouldn't do much damage.

An alternative would be to build a framework and staple the bubble wrap with foil to the framework. No squeaks - but the bubble wrap with foil is more expensive.

Attach the framework to the nearest finished wall on either side. If you have carpeting, cut holes where you need to attach your framework.

the roof at the nose of my Titan is fiberglass... I haven't figured out a way to insulate that either due to it's shape and configuration. But I don't have a/c and don't plan on using the trailer in temps below 45-50 degrees either.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-07-24 4:18 PM (#88200 - in reply to #88120)

Expert

You can glue furring strips directly to the fiberglass using polyurethane construction adhesive. Insulation and wiring can be added between the strips, and your wall covering can be fastened to the surface of the strips.

Gard

cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2008-07-27 11:27 AM (#88357 - in reply to #88120)

Extreme Veteran

I did the nose of my gooseneck with foil backed bubble warp insulation.  It was a steel trailer, so I was able to use aluminum tape to keep the insulation in place.  That tape is amazing, and seems to stick to almost anything.  I did not have any problems with the insualtion coming down.   I actually doubled the insulation up there to make sure it was nice and toasty in winter.  That worked quite nicely.  Before I finished later with paneling, it looked like a grow room for drugs up in the nose area.  I think if you want to glue it to anything you need to check to see if the glue reacts to anything, like fiberglass... some do.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-07-27 4:16 PM (#88368 - in reply to #88120)

Expert

Polyurethane adhesives will not adversely react with fiberglass FRP layups or wood. The fiberglass areas that will be glued should be cleaned and if possible, roughly abraded prior to an application of the adhesive. They will dry with no after cure smell; many are gap filling, and water and flame proof.

The polyurethane's are available in most big box store and hardware stores. There are several name brands available, being sold under "construction adhesives." They are available in tubes to fit standard caulking guns.

Gard

ASJ
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2008-07-28 6:41 AM (#88389 - in reply to #88120)

Veteran

If there are side stripping that you can attach to you can build a frame out of 1x2 or 2x2 stripping and set in and attach it to the side strips. Kind of like building a house. it will hold any insulation up and also give you something to attach your ceiling and wall board to. You can build it in place or build it out side and set it in. Hope This Helps

Edited by ASJ 2008-07-28 6:43 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)