'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer pulling down on truck

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-07-10 12:16 PM
5 replies, 3197 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

luckeys71
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2008-07-07 5:20 PM (#87011)
Subject: Trailer pulling down on truck

Regular

I am still quite new to this trailering thing, in fact, although I have now pulled my trailer many miles to the house and back to the barn (for repair work) and off to have professional work done on it, I have only had a horse in 2 times, once for exactly 1 mile and just recently a quick trip around the barn.  Anyway, I have a receiver hitch on my Ram 1500 and pull a simple steel 2h BP, no dreesing room or anything.  It is fine on smooth pavement, but when the going gets rough, it feels like the trailer tugs down on the truck.  I have the ball in the drop position and the trailer (unloaded) looks perfectly level.  Wondering if I just need to put the ball in the rise position and raise it up a little.  I would just do the quick experiment, however, I had a Maintentance guy at work put the ball on for me and I can't get the dang thing to budge at all, as far as getting it off.  Both pieces are new, too!  To get the rise, I guess I'll have to go out and get another receiver bar and ball, so wanted to see if that was my problem, first, before tossing out another $30, because I could put probably 1/4 tank of gas in my truck for that!  Tires on truck and trailer are fully inflated.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-07-07 5:33 PM (#87013 - in reply to #87011)
Subject: RE: Trailer pulling down on truck

Expert

What do you mean by pulling down?  If the trailer is jerking on a rough road you may just need to slow down.  There can also be some "jerkyness" depending on how much play there is with the reciever bar. 

The trailer should be a bit "nose up" when empty that way it will be almost level when the horses/tack/feed are loaded.  Having a slight tilt (rear lower) will also help with run off when the horse pees.

califhorseman
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-07-07 9:25 PM (#87031 - in reply to #87011)

Regular

If you think the receiver is to low use a bench vise and a correct wrench to break the ball free. Once you have done this flip the receiver over and remount the ball. This will give you the few inches lift that you might need.

BOL

Jeff

The OEM Parts Store
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-10 12:47 AM (#87183 - in reply to #87011)

I would have to agree with all of the above. And why is your reciever stuck? That does not sound like a good fit. It should slide easy into the ball mount. I am not sure what type of trailer ball mount you have, but if you want to save a few pounds, try going aluminum. They are super light weight and just as tough. We carry a bunch of different Trailer Ball Mounts. You can at least get an idea and fix the issue with yours. If turning over the ball doesn't work, I would want to know what brand trailer do you have. You could always move the axle(s). But that is a bit of work and would only recommend a professional doing something like that. And you might check the springs on your truck to make sure they are still good to go. Good luck!!

Jason

Edited by The OEM Parts Store 2008-07-10 12:48 AM
luckeys71
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2008-07-10 12:01 PM (#87211 - in reply to #87011)

Regular

It is just the ball that is permanently attached to the receiver bar.  The Maintenance guy at work who put it on for me, put it on EXTRA tight.  He said it was on to stay and he wasn't kidding.  No problem with that thing loosening up.  I was just trying to figure out if that was the problem before investing in a new bar and ball.  The ones I already have are almost new.  The truck doesn't bounce, it just feels like someone has literally grabbed the ahold of the back of the truck and tugged it down when it hits a bump.
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-07-10 12:16 PM (#87212 - in reply to #87011)

Expert

How are your shocks?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'