'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Cimarron versus Platinum

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-07-05 11:21 AM
7 replies, 8684 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

cwebster
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-02 7:05 PM (#86786)
Subject: Cimarron versus Platinum

New User

We are looking at new trailers and are really wondering about the resale value of Cimarron vs Platinum.  Is Cimarron as well made as Platinum?  It seems that Platinums resale better as used trailers.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
threeman
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-07-02 7:27 PM (#86789 - in reply to #86786)
Subject: RE: Cimarron versus Platinum

Extreme Veteran

Well I usually dont but I am bored so here goes...

I would sway towards the Platinum. I looked over the Cimarrons last year for a friend that I pushed towards Platinum. I have two Elites so its not like I was bias towards Platinum for some reason other than I think they are a better value than the elite. In MY opinion the Cimarron is not as well made. Go for yourself and look over the welds and construction of a trailer or better several models and only compare the two you are looking at. If not it will just confuse you more. I really dont like paying an astronomical price for something and then find plastic saddle racks in the rear. Some manufactures build really heavy ones that I need for heavy roping saddles. I tend to throw the top saddles up there so they get banged around. The windows were not quite as good either in my opinion. I also didnt like the lighter axles that seemed to be on alot of the models, both can get cheap in that department so question that. Personally i dont like the fiberglas roof vs. aluminum. Just my opinion but its mine.

Resale. Well you have already figured that out. There are about 5 manufactures that are considered the top tier. Maybe more but I am telling the story so I say 5. Those trailers hold there value better than most. Alot of folks dont know Cimarron so that will hurt you in resale. Also some manufactures are building trailers that are desinged to be hauled every day. Every day. With that in mind you find better components on them vs. some with lower price, tick less quality etc. Just another point.

Good luck.
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-07-02 7:46 PM (#86790 - in reply to #86786)

Expert

I put an LQ in a Cimmaron back in the spring, I also am not a big fan of the fiberglass roof. I don't like how it attaches to the top rail. The aluminum they use is a much lighter grade/thickness than the "top notch" trailers. I haven't looked at a platinum real close, but Cimmaron would be in the same class of trailers as Hart, Kiefer, Exiss, Sooner, Yada, Yada,  Ext........... I have said this many times on here, when I attach the firring strips to the walls of the above trailers, I can send a self tapping screw right into the aluminum stud. On a 4 Star, C&C, Elite, Bloomers, You have to pre-drill the hole(sucks), a self tapping screw will not penetrate the aluminum studs in those trailers. It is a different grade/thickness of aluminum.

Now having said all the above............ those trailers will last a long time with proper care and maint., there are alot of them being hauled down the road. But, there is a reason that some brands cost more, and re-sale for more.

Edited by HWBar 2008-07-03 5:14 AM
cwebster
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-02 9:22 PM (#86794 - in reply to #86786)

New User

Thank you so much for the info.  I was leaning that way but needed some advice.  I'm also looking at a used 4-star that is an 05 model so it is good to know they are good trailers.
Tripper
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-07-03 8:00 AM (#86803 - in reply to #86786)

I have sold both trailers and I would say hands down the Cimarron is twice the trailer of a Platinum.I know people are going to argue but just go take a tour and see how they are built and the difference in the facilities and their employees and I would be willing to bet you feel the same.
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-07-03 8:36 AM (#86809 - in reply to #86786)

I have really been scoping out the Cimarrons  and I also have found them to be a better quality than Platinum. I actually went to the Platinum plant for a tour and that tour convinced me NOT to buy that brand.  But,  I  really, really like the Bloomer, 4 Star, and Elite.  Plus, I think, I am liking what I am seeing in the Integrity, Twister and the Cimarron trailers also. I am the type of person to research every purchase to the point of exhaustion so I can be more critical than the average person. Since I get a new LQ trailer every 2 years, I prefer to stay with the higher end trailers as they have done better on the resell for me. I am not a dealer so I have mostly sold them off of this web site or just traded them in on the new one.

Tripper wrote: I would say hands down the Cimarron is twice the trailer of a Platinum.I know people are going to argue but just go take a tour and see how they are built and the difference in the facilities and their employees and I would be willing to bet you feel the same

barrelsnpcs
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-07-05 9:36 AM (#86889 - in reply to #86786)

Veteran

I looked at Cimmaron when I was trying to decide. It reminded me of a flimsier made Hart imitation. JMO because I'm no expert on welds, braces, etc.  I went with the Platinum and feel I made a good decision. I even liked the way the Platinum pulled better than the Cimmaron. The Cimmaron seemed like a trailer for light, once a month users. I use my trailer more than that.  I love my Platinum. And if I ever buy another trailer, it will be a Platinum.

Good luck, it's a hard decision.

calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2008-07-05 11:21 AM (#86890 - in reply to #86786)

Elite Veteran

We have a Cimmaron with a huge LQ and its great. We use it heavily, but clean it thoroughly each time. If money were no object, we would buy a HART. I really think they are the finest trailer. It is a hard decision to make, and it is important to be satisfied with your choice since you will live with it for a while...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)