'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Wiring for trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-05-30 4:37 PM
5 replies, 3183 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jakerunshom
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-29 5:26 PM (#84865)
Subject: Wiring for trailer

New User

HiNew and desperate for help.I have a very old horse trailer that was working perfectly with it's brake controller until someone, with the best intentions wrapped the cables for me. Now the lights work but the brake controller doesn't. :-(I unwrapped everything to look for problems. All the lights seems to still be wired correctly and do still work. There is one loose cable coming from the trailer plug and one double cable coming from the brakes. One half of this is earthed to the trailer body and hasn't moved. I did, what seemed the obvious thing, and hooked up the two loose cables. This does make the brake controller light up but it flashes in time with the blinkers whenever they are on so clearly there is something wrong somewhere.Any ideas? If I need to give more information to help figure it out just let me know.Thanks so much for your help.J
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-05-29 7:27 PM (#84870 - in reply to #84865)
Subject: RE: Wiring for trailer

Expert

This is a six hole round plug pattern?  The two wires together from the trailer, one is the ground (as is indicated by its being attached to the trailer frame) the other goes on the plug position marked S... for stopping device...hope this helps... also try

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/wiring.asp  scroll down and there are excellent diagrams for helping you!

jakerunshom
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-30 8:03 AM (#84894 - in reply to #84865)

New User

Thanks. :-)I'll have to take the plug apart today to make sure that this spare black wire is the one connected to the S point.It's weird though because that definitely hasn't been touched since it was still all working fine.What I might also do is take a run along the street just to see if the brakes appear to be working.Thanks again for your help.J
jakerunshom
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-30 12:57 PM (#84907 - in reply to #84865)

New User

OK...used the diagrams you posted, checked the plug and it all makes sense. The cable I'm connecting to the brakes is the one on the S / blue position. I cleaned up each of the connectors to make sure there are no shorts and tried again.The green light comes on and when I used the manual brake slider the red light comes on. It does still flash when I put on a turn signal though.I am confused. Again!Still I'll get it on the road and try it in practice to see if there are any brakes.Thanks for your help.Jackie
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-05-30 2:28 PM (#84912 - in reply to #84865)

Take a set of jumper cables and hook them up from the frame of your trailer to the frame of your truck and see if that fixes your problem. It sounds as if there is a ground issue and a turn signal is feeding back through your brakes looking for a ground. The jumper cables will work as a ground between the two and narrow down your problem. It is either that or a short between one of your turns and the brakes. I am leaning towards the ground being the issue.
jakerunshom
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-30 4:37 PM (#84916 - in reply to #84865)

New User

I think you were spot on. I didn't get round to checking it with jumper cables because by the time I'd reworked all the connectors it just worked. Yeah!Thanks all for you help.Jackie
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)