'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Too Much Light?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-05-05 3:35 AM
3 replies, 2709 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

pjbarker
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-04 12:29 PM (#83093)
Subject: Too Much Light?

New User

am currently working with a mare for "newbie horse owners". Between daily sunlight and bright yard lighting, the mare and her stablemate (a gelding), is under lights 24/7. I started working with this mare 21 days ago and she acted like the typical unbroke horse (easily excitable, pushy, hyper, etc.). I explained this away with the "this horse has never been handled" reasoning. This past week, I moved the mare to my facility. After being at my place for a couple of days, the mare settled down amazingly well, too well, I thought. My farrier asked me for assistance with the mare's barn buddy during his regular visit 2 days ago. The gelding (an 8yo 1/2 WB, 1/2 TB) acted the same way as the mare, wired as if on way too much caffeine. I asked if this horse acted like this when the family first adopted him and was told no, that a small child could ride him with no problems.

My question is: Does the 24/7 exposure to light (both daylight and artificial lighting) have a negative effect on a horse's system? I am familiar with manipulating a mare's reproduction cycle with artificial lighting, and would think all this daylight has this mare all screwed up. But what about the gelding? I looked through the Merck Veterinary Manual and did a Google search, but couldn't come up with anything.

I would like to advise the owners about this topic, and have a gut hunch they should reduce the amount of lighting in their yard. But, I couldn't find any hard evidence I could give them to read. Any input would be helpful.

Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-05-04 9:17 PM (#83126 - in reply to #83093)
Subject: RE: Too Much Light?

Expert

I have had this happen at the larger shows with lights 24/7, it seems the horses never rest and almost act like drug addicts...wired, shaky, jittery and always on edge.
pjbarker
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-04 11:51 PM (#83137 - in reply to #83093)

New User

Not that I am glad you've experienced this, but thank goodness I'm not the only one! I haven't had responses from any of my vet discussion boards yet, but I'm hopeful to be pointed in the direction of some sort of research I can weed through.

How long does it usually take your horse to "come down" from his agitation?
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-05-05 3:35 AM (#83142 - in reply to #83093)

Expert

Not long.  Once we got home they always got a few days to recover and getting a little R&R brought them right back.  The mind and body need to have down time which 24/7 lights does not allow.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)