'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Speaking of credit ratings......did you know....

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-05-10 3:09 AM
12 replies, 6020 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

barntoys4mom
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-05-01 9:28 AM (#82916)
Subject: Speaking of credit ratings......did you know....

Veteran

Last year I was the victim of Identity theft. Luckily, I have fully recovered an excellent credit score thanks to the efforts of my credit card company! Anyway, something I learned along the way is how damaging it is to finance something on one those “special no money down, not payment until…..” deals! I never knew that any legitimate financing could count as a “negative” against a credit score. I know a lot of companies offer this from time to time on trailers, furniture and other high ticket pleasure items, so just be aware that you know you may indeed be unintentionally hurting yourself. Who knew!    

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-05-02 11:56 AM (#82980 - in reply to #82916)
Subject: RE: Speaking of credit ratings......did you know....

Expert

Yes I did.

May I ask how they acquired your identity? I like to stay current on this topic. Shred all my junk mail, any statements (utility, credit card, bank), anything with personal info on it, guard SSN, check credit history once a year......etc.

Im also on the OptOut list, are you familiar with that?

https://www.optoutprescreen.com/?rf=t

Well worth your time. Stops most all of the credit card junk mail, which are easy targets for ID theft.

barntoys4mom
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-05-02 1:30 PM (#82990 - in reply to #82916)

Veteran

The credit card company felt like it was one of those “pre-qualified” offers “before” they were put in the mailed to me. The actual credit card company that issued the fraudulent card even called me at my home and said to call them, that I may a have a fraudulent charge on my card. (A fraudulent card with a questionable charge…hmmm) I thought it was just a sales pitch since I knew I didn’t have a card with that company. About two months later I ran a credit report and literally had a cow! I had everything locked up so tight; I could hardly write a check! They had taken a card out with all my personal information on it (name, SS3 and including my actual phone #) but used their address. They even paid on the card for about six months (this too is common practice so that “red flags” don’t come up to quickly). I had always assumed that thieves would go for the big guys, not the working underclass! Go figure!

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-05-02 9:14 PM (#83023 - in reply to #82990)

Expert

Originally written by barntoys4mom on 2008-05-02 2:30 PM

The credit card company felt like it was one of those “pre-qualified” offers “before” they were put in the mailed to me. The actual credit card company that issued the fraudulent card even called me at my home and said to call them, that I may a have a fraudulent charge on my card. (A fraudulent card with a questionable charge…hmmm) I thought it was just a sales pitch since I knew I didn’t have a card with that company. About two months later I ran a credit report and literally had a cow! I had everything locked up so tight; I could hardly write a check! They had taken a card out with all my personal information on it (name, SS3 and including my actual phone #) but used their address. They even paid on the card for about six months (this too is common practice so that “red flags” don’t come up to quickly). I had always assumed that thieves would go for the big guys, not the working underclass! Go figure!

Did you ever determine how they acquired your personal data?

barntoys4mom
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-05-05 3:35 PM (#83197 - in reply to #82916)

Veteran

The name and address info came from the credit card offer, we are still unsure of how they got my ss#. They simply signed and submitted the offer with a "change of address" filled out. It did leave me with some long term issues, but none the less, I am very, very lucky that it was only a credit card!
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-05-06 7:24 AM (#83247 - in reply to #82916)

Elite Veteran

About 8 years ago I got a call at work from a bank asking me if I was trying to open up a White Sox credit card.  I laughed and said no.  Seems that someone in the Chicago area had gotten hold of my personal info and was trying to open up a credit card.  Since I lived and worked at the same place for the past 15 years, the bank knew something didn't jive.

An hour later another bank called and asked if I was trying to open up an Elvis credit card.  same story - The bank told me to put passwords on my current credit cards so no one could change the mailing address, get credit reports, and in writing close out any outstanding credit cards I no longer used.

I haven't had any issues since, but I too black out info and shred everything I don't need to keep.  They will check your garbage for info, so don't make the mistake of thinking your safe by just tossing stuff in the trash.

Edited by Dunoir 2008-05-06 11:04 AM
notfromtexas
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-05-06 9:32 AM (#83260 - in reply to #82916)

Veteran

I shred everything, then put it in the trash, then clean the cat's litter box in there.  I actually enjoy the thought of someone digging through my trash....
barntoys4mom
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-05-06 2:03 PM (#83293 - in reply to #82916)

Veteran

The trick here was, it was taken apparently BEFORE it was mailed to me somehow ~ hummmm...... Not taken from my trash or local landfill.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-05-06 3:33 PM (#83305 - in reply to #83293)

Expert

Originally written by barntoys4mom on 2008-05-06 3:03 PM

The trick here was, it was taken apparently BEFORE it was mailed to me somehow ~ hummmm...... Not taken from my trash or local landfill.

Do you have a rural roadside mailbox?

If so, you might want to think about a lockable version, where the mailperson have to drop your mail into a slot...

Edited by PaulChristenson 2008-05-06 3:35 PM
barntoys4mom
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-05-07 8:14 AM (#83348 - in reply to #82916)

Veteran

No, we've always had a po box that you must use a key to open. This didn't happen in the mail, it happend before the artical was put into the postal system. Most likly in a mailing house. Anyway, because of the amount of money involved, it will end up being jail time once everything is sorted out and all the different charges are filed.

If it had been to feed a child or medical care for a child, I might have been more understanding, but it wasn't. 

Your advice is good! I hope this will make others more aware. As times continue to worsen, I'm sure we will hear more tails about stolen mail, checks, etc. since a great many of us do live in rural areas.

figero
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-05-08 12:14 PM (#83516 - in reply to #82916)

Regular

Something to consider if you are in the market for a trailer and are shopping around dealerships. Do not allow everyone to run your credit to determin your payment. Everytime you run a check the credit companies could take that as a purchase and lower your score. Have everyone work from the basic rate for a payment if need be. Pick a trailer and work the dealer for the best deal.
Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-05-09 11:20 AM (#83587 - in reply to #83516)

Charter Member

Originally written by figero on 2008-05-08 12:14 PM

Something to consider if you are in the market for a trailer and are shopping around dealerships. Do not allow everyone to run your credit to determin your payment. Everytime you run a check the credit companies could take that as a purchase and lower your score. Have everyone work from the basic rate for a payment if need be. Pick a trailer and work the dealer for the best deal.

I was told, when I was shopping for a truck, that it only counts the first time within 30 days (like I can go to multiple dealers withing 30 days, they can all run it and it only counts as one), so unless you shop slowly, having your credit run several times over the course of several months, it shouldn't hurt.

Was that false info?
ntcowgirl
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-05-10 3:09 AM (#83637 - in reply to #82916)

Regular

We were just notified that hubby was victim of identity theft for the second time!    They somehow got a new business credit card account which is not easy to get!    We signed up last nite for lifelock.

We'll be trying to untangle this mess for a while it looks like.  When he called the c.card company, he missed 2 of their security questions...they had picked the questions....such as what was the last vehicle that you bought....they had the wrong answers so Mark flunked the security test.   We've got some work to do come Monday.  

Edited by ntcowgirl 2008-05-10 3:11 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)