'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Where to find "one way valve" to fit with Pex

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-05-05 10:04 AM
7 replies, 5218 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-05-01 8:49 AM (#82908)
Subject: Where to find "one way valve" to fit with Pex

Charter Member

I need two "one way valves" for my plumbing set up. I haven't found anything @ Home Depot that would work (everything is for large PVC pipe).

Where can I find these and get them relatively quick?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2008-05-01 9:21 AM (#82914 - in reply to #82908)
Subject: RE: Where to find "one way valve" to fit with Pex

Extreme Veteran

Are you talking about a check valve?

I've never seen a Pex check valve. You may need to get one with pipe thread, then thread Pex couplers on the ends.

In my area Home Depot has a dismal selection of Pex supplies. I can find most of what I need for Pex at Menards, but I don't think you have them in Texas. Do you have a local plumbing warehouse or even a plumber that keeps an inventory of parts? In a pinch, I've bought various fittings from the local Culligan dealer. The Culligan people use Pex a lot.
Turfa
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-05-01 10:38 AM (#82918 - in reply to #82908)

Veteran

You can check out the valves in this cataloge.  They seem to be reasonable.

http://www.go-rv.com/coast/do/catalog/page?index=A&pageNext=TRUE&dealerId=1338&pageNum=365

Good Luck

Turfa

equiteacher
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2008-05-01 11:03 AM (#82921 - in reply to #82908)

Regular

Agree that you will probably have to use a PVC check valve with PEX adapters on both ends. Remind you of yesterday's reply to check Lowe's rather than HD for much better selection of PEX fittings
Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-05-01 11:35 AM (#82923 - in reply to #82908)

Charter Member

Our local Lowe's store SUCKS!!! The customer service is worse than any other store in this area...in any industry...and the selection of fittings is much smaller than the one @ Home Depot. The guys at Home Depot are also a LOT more helpful....which is great for a 26 y/o female who has NO clue about some things. LOL!!!!!

I was looking at the check valves @ HD yesterday, but they were all for large size pipe and would have been very complicated to fit into this particular set up. I will check Lowe's today.

Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-05-04 10:27 AM (#83086 - in reply to #82908)

Charter Member

Well...none of the local stores carried the Sharkbite Check valves and since 98% of my plumbing ended up being completed with the Sharkbite fittings (which I haven't ran water through yet - but I am otherwise pleased with their appearance, ease of use, etc)....I tried to go the PVC route for the check valves. I bought two 1/2" check valves, some 1/2" PVC pipe and 4 female 1/2" threaded ends. I put a short piece of pipe into each valve (they only had the slip type valves - none where already threaded - that would have made my job too easy LOL) then I put a threaded end on the other end of each piece of pipe and I fit that into my existing system. Looks horrible, but I'm sure its functional.

Because I'm a little OCD about appearance - even though I am otherwise clueless about plumbing - I got bored at work the other day so I started looking online for some Sharkbite check valves. I found several websites with prices ranging from $12.48-$18.95 EACH...ordered the cheapest ones with the lowest shipping rate....ended up spending $32 for two check valves (Sharkbite). Can't wait to get them and replace the ugly PVC stuff. Besides, I'm afraid the wiggle and jiggle of the trailer would eventually ruin the PVC - even though its such a short amount.

It still won't be pretty - my weekend conversion is squeezing into a 4' SW and includes a shower so the plumbing is cramped into a small space - but I have to say - I'm rather proud of myself. I guess all those years of ag classes and woodshop are finally beginning to pay off. Maybe when I have this entire project finished, I will email some pictures to my HS ag/shop teacher. LOL!!!

jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2008-05-04 9:44 PM (#83129 - in reply to #82908)

Extreme Veteran

Are the PVC fittings made for water (pressure) fittings. You have to be careful with PVC because a lot of it is marked "DWV" and meant only for drain, waste, and venting purposes, not pressurized water. Anyway, maybe it doesn't matter if you will be replacing them with the push-on style fittings. Glad you found the style you were looking for. Not to be a pill, but I bet you'd have paid for the Pex crimping tool with your little project. Anyway, good luck.
Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-05-05 10:04 AM (#83169 - in reply to #82908)

Charter Member

You're probably right, but I had too many problems with the fittings I was finding that had to be crimped. The threaded pieces weren't matching up correct with the threads on my pump, acc. tank, filter, etc....so even after spending more money on the shark bite fittings, I am less likely to have a leak and they were much easier to use.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)