'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Horses as "mirrors"

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-05-04 8:09 AM
6 replies, 3644 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

freeindeed
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2008-04-29 6:18 PM (#82808)
Subject: Horses as "mirrors"

Does anyone else out there have a horse that seems to be able to "read minds" ? I know horses go more by body language for communication-but I have a horse that (99 % of the time) tenses when I tense, sighs when I sigh, and acts laid back when I am calm. I am talking about over the fence-from a distance, when I am not even interacting directly with her, not to mention while riding. When I longe her all I have to do is think "trot" and a split second later she is trotting, and riding it is the same, I think "let's turn right" and she does it before I cue her! If I am stressed out (like tonight just before I had to go for a final nursing exam)-she will actually snort, raise her head and give me the spooky eye. And its not like I did anymore than feed and check water buckets, no rushing, no fussing. Just normal-to me anyway! I sometimes wonder who the teacher is in this "relationship"!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-04-29 7:41 PM (#82812 - in reply to #82808)
Subject: RE: Horses as "mirrors"

Extreme Veteran

Some horses can pick up on some of your most suttle body language and so can you pick up on there's with practice. Your horse is in tune with you. I have a couple that are not quite that good but do pick up on some things. Me on the other hand needs much more practice. The horse has bonded to you and it is a good feeling when they do that. Very satisfying after a long day of work.

Rockin_horse72
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-04-30 10:01 PM (#82871 - in reply to #82808)

Veteran

Yep, I have one that does that. She is a snot to anyone else, but to me she is *with me*. To the point of sometimes being my concience (spelling??). It is a great feeling!!
nanny
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-04-30 10:38 PM (#82876 - in reply to #82808)

Regular

Ah, yes, they certainly know what to expect from us.
If we could only be as smart as they are, we would have this whole
horse thing figured out. They are what we are, it's that simple.
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-05-01 5:24 PM (#82940 - in reply to #82808)

Extreme Veteran

Went to the trainers the ride one of my horses for the first time a couple of years ago. Wife rode and I rode. Got to jabbering in the round pen afterwards with the horse still tacked up. Horse walked up to me and put nuzzle under my left arm.  She wanted to go home. She is a sweety. She has her monents as everyone does but she bonded to me. Great feeling. Her and 2 other horse are learning and are starting to read me like a book. 
freeindeed
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2008-05-01 8:37 PM (#82950 - in reply to #82808)

Good to hear I'm not the only one who has noticed this sort of behavior-it's also good to hear that it is a positive behavior-I was starting to wonder if the poor horse was going to end up in "horse therapy" one day going "ya know, I had this really nutty owner one time...."- It is kind of strange to see yourself and your behavior/thoughts/emotions reflected right back to you-kids are good at that as well... :)
Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-05-04 8:09 AM (#83080 - in reply to #82808)

Veteran

I swear my horse read my mind one day.  It was freezing cold, and a sleet storm blew up.  I went outside to batton down the hatches.  The doors on our old barn tend to blow off the hinges if theyr'e not well secured.  In my haste I forgot my hat.  I ran around the side of the barn to struggle with the largest billowing door.  As the sleet blew sideways against my head, I wished I had remembered my hat.  After a long struggle I had the door secured, and my ear was painful, red, and numb all the way to the inside of my brain.  I ran into the stall area (like a big run in) and began to sorta hop and wiggle around to get the feeling back in my extremities.  Daisy was outside (yes, in that horrible weather, the slush piling up on her furry back) and she peeked in the door to see her owner hopping around like an idiot.  I said to her "OOOhhh Daisy, my ear hurts!!"  I had my hands in my pockets trying to get feeling back into them.  Then Daisy walked into the stall, and went right for my ear...the ear that was frozen and painful.  I have long hair.  She nuzzled my hair away and genly held my ear in her lips and blew her warm breath on me.  Horses don't just go for ears.   That's not normal.  She must have understood what I said, or maybe I sent some telepathic distress message to her.  I'll never forget it.  It gave me goosebumps.  Think that horses understand more than we give them credit for.

Amanda

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)