'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Help diagnosing an electrical issue?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-04-22 8:31 AM
2 replies, 2899 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Sharon
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-04-21 8:39 PM (#82397)
Subject: Help diagnosing an electrical issue?

Veteran

OK.  While driving home from PA with the new trailer (and truck), we had no left turn signals or left brake lights on the trailer.  I was dumb and didn't think to check the fuses... just assumed the truck had been wired wrong.  We DID have really bright running lights, and working right turn/brake signals.

Tonight I brought the truck back to the place that installed the brake controller, and they replaced the "left trailer turn signal" fuse.  Then they checked out the truck wiring with their machine doohickey that plugs into the truck outlet... it was at that point doing fine.

When we got home, we plugged the trailer into the truck WHILE IT WAS OFF just to be cautious.  When we turned the truck and lights on, the running lights on the trailer were really dim AND when the turn signal was applied the opposite side running lights and turn signals blinked.  That is, with the right turn signal on the truck, the lights all along the entire left side of the trailer (including the running lights) got brighter than they were, and the lights all along the entire right side of the trailer (including the running lights) got dimmer ... maybe even shut off, I dunno, I was up front doing the turn signals.

At this point I don't really even dare haul this to the service center... it's pretty far away.  What sorts of things can we check out here, and how?

Thanks!!!!!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Sharon
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-04-21 9:01 PM (#82398 - in reply to #82397)
Subject: RE: Help diagnosing an electrical issue?

Veteran

Never mind, we have a bad ground.  The first time we tried it tonight, we just backed up near it and plugged in the electric without hitching up.  That's when everything was berzerk.  When we hitched up, everything was OK.  That means bad ground, hubby says.  It needs to be fixed but it's driveable... which means I can go to my clinic on Thursday. 

I'll leave this topic up just in case it helps someone else, someday.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-04-22 8:31 AM (#82408 - in reply to #82397)
Subject: RE: Help diagnosing an electrical issue?

Expert

If you apply some dielectric grease to the male pins in your trailer plug, and then couple the two halves together, the grease will keep the pins from corroding. While ensuring a better electrical contact, the grease will also make the actual coupling an easier affair. This works equally well on new or older plugs.

Gard

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)