'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
new guy w/ lots to learn about towing, electric brakes, trailer repair, etc

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-04-15 10:39 AM
5 replies, 3545 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

arinekhen
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2008-04-14 2:28 PM (#81898)
Subject: new guy w/ lots to learn about towing, electric brakes, trailer repair, etc

Howdy. Lots of good info in here! I'll get to the trailer directly, just want to fill ya in a little. My wife and I are starting a yearling QH. She waited 25 years to get back into horses, and I finally convinced her to dive in. The last 6 months with Sassy has been a lot of fun (and work) and a big learning experience for me. My wife couldn't be happier with her. As the most recent big step we've taken, we bought an old 2H bumper pull - a 1975 Hart. We're doing all this on a shoestring, so it's not gonna win any beauty pageants, but it's solid in all the right places with good tires and tracking. I pulled it home with my K1500, no problem. My questions mostly have to do with electric brakes, which I've never had to deal with, but while there's a bunch of stuff I know that I don't know, what scares me is the stuff that I DON'T know that I don't know. :-)

The brake wiring is hanging loose. The lights run off a standard four-prong connector. I assume this was done because the electric brakes quit working long ago, but I want to put them back in service. I'm a decent mechanic: have rebuilt my share of engines. Does anyone have links to good basic information about their electric brake repair/operation? I found a few useful pages, for example one told me that a very common problem is overadjusting the brake controller and causing the trailer brakes to plain lock up - I'll be careful about that one. But this leads me to my first questions:

What other big common problems are there that a newbie like me should look out for? I realize this is like asking, what do I not know that I really need to know. :-)

Some other questions:

Good sources for sheet metal for making repairs? Maybe web sites showing good ways to go about it?

I'll spend the money for a competent brake controller, but is there a good source for saving money on these as well as entire replacement electric drums and the like, if I end up needing to start over on the braked axle?

Does anyone know of a web site or two detailing a floor rebuild on an old steel trailer?

The roof on the trailer is about 85%. There are a few pinholes which I'm thinking of touching up with JB Weld before a repainting job. Is there a better material to use for sealing small holes like that?

Guess I may be wearing out my welcome already, so I'll quit there. Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions or, even better, your personal experiences like, "whatever you do, don't do what I did and..."

Thanks again!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Sharon
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-04-14 5:12 PM (#81908 - in reply to #81898)
Subject: RE: new guy w/ lots to learn about towing, electric brakes, trailer repair, etc

Veteran

I can't answer any of your questions except "where do I buy a good brake controller".  I just ordered my Prodigy off EBay, brand new and in the box, and saved probably $75 off what I'd have paid at the local RV dealer.

Welcome, and good luck! 

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-04-14 7:58 PM (#81920 - in reply to #81898)
Subject: RE: new guy w/ lots to learn about towing, electric brakes, trailer repair, etc

Expert

The axles are the most important part of your trailer; the bearings, brakes wheels and tires are the moving parts that bring you home safely. Just as with your automotive knowledge, trailer drum brakes are measured in diameter and width. If you could determine the axles' manufacturer and weight capability, purchasing the parts would be easy. There are several trailer suppliers from which you can purchase replacement parts, the original manufacturer, or a local RV or boat dealer may have comparable units. For a 30 year old trailer, I would consider new bearings, seals and brakes. Just like your vehicles, the inside of your drums may need to be turned or replaced if they are grooved, broken or badly pitted.

If the flooring is wood, replace the boards one with one, using pressure treated Southern Yellow Pine at least 1 1/2" thick. Wider boards are more rigid than narrower ones. If you can buy the #1 grade instead of the #2 common grade, you will have less shakes and knots and a better board. With the boards removed, you will have an excellent opportunity to inspect and repaint the top part of the frame. All of your trailer's frame should be carefully inspected, with any rust or welding issues properly addressed.

I would rip out your wiring and start over with a new 6 wire loom and plug to match your truck. Splicing into old wiring ends up in a bird's nest and trouble shooting broken wires is a pain. New wiring can be purchased by the running foot. If your running lights are broken or intermittent, I would consider their replacements with a sealed bulb or even the newer diode styles. They are not subject to corrosion, are long lasting and maintenance free.

JB Weld works very well for small holes in steel. Make sure the paint around the holes is ground off on both surfaces of the metal before you apply it, for the best adhesion. After it is sanded smooth, a rust converter applied to the rusty steel will form a better base for your primer, and ensure the rust is stopped before you recoat.

I would ask a local automotive body shop for the metal supplies you need. Another source is an heating/air conditioning supplier. They fabricate galvanized panels to construct plenums and ducting runs. I'm not sure of the thickness you will need, but 16 ga is commonly available and used in automotive reconstruction.

The hitch and its locking mechanism, should also be inspected and lubricated. With some TLC, your trailer can be safely used for another 30 years.

BOL  Gard

Edited by gard 2008-04-14 8:22 PM
coltaffyjo
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2008-04-14 10:15 PM (#81929 - in reply to #81898)

Regular

My advice to you both is to buy safe, already broke horses so you can SAFELY learn how to ride,groom,saddle a horse. With the market the way it is-DOWN- You can surely find horses that will tolerate new and or reaquainted riders....... Your enthusiasm is GREAT and I don't want to read that you got injured breaking a two year old.!!!! I started riding horses in my late 30s---DOn't kid yourself--we don't heal the way we used to!! and it is SO much more fun riding and showing a broke horse than teaching one to ride!! Just putting in my two cents worth and BE CAREFUL!!! the good people on here will tell you everything you need to know about your trailer!! HAVE FUN and congrats on joining the horse world.......Paul
arinekhen
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2008-04-15 10:29 AM (#81972 - in reply to #81920)

Wow, that's a lot of good input. Thanks! (and thanks to you too, Sharon L!) I planned to replace the wiring, yes. The light housings actually look pretty good, but there's only one on each side, so I'd like to add a couple more at least for better visibility. I will take your advice on replacing bearings and seals, definitely. I've done that sort of repair on cars, surely it won't be any different on the trailer, and they don't seem to be expensive parts. I don't know how to identify the axles, but I'll get back under the trailer and see what I can find. I hadn't thought about the fact that replacing the floor will make it easy to check out the frame and make repairs, that's a good point. And, I wouldn't have thought about an HVAC dealer for metal, but that's a great idea. In addition to bearings and seals I'm starting to think about those complete electric brake assemblies I've seen (like http://tinyurl.com/5t454h) instead of just pads and a hardware kit - probably be easier and safer to start with all new parts. If there's someone selling these you who had good luck with, I'd like to hear about them.

I looked briefly at the trailer again this morning it looks like only one axle has brakes - is that standard practice, or has the trailer probably been jury-rigged?

The hitch still seems substantial and it works well, but it is not a kind I've used before. Instead of just dropping down over the ball, it closes around it sort of like a nutcracker or a pair of pliers. Like this: http://tinyurl.com/59u72b Guess it's okay since they still make them, huh?

Thanks a bunch for your advice and information!
arinekhen
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2008-04-15 10:39 AM (#81975 - in reply to #81929)

Guess it's a bit late to take your advice on buying broke horses... :) This is how my wife wanted it, though. She got Sassy at 6 months old (she's just 1 year now) specifically because she wanted to train/raise her herself. Since I knew nothing of horses, but had complete confidence in my wife, I just encouraged her to do it however she wanted.

I've noticed that while we're training Sassy, she's been training US a bit, too! I wouldn't trade Sassy or my wife's opportunity to get back into the horse-owner lifestyle for anything. Thanks for the encouragement!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)