'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
We saved a life today.....

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-03-21 9:24 PM
22 replies, 5921 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

cindydj
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-03-14 9:26 PM (#79600)
Subject: We saved a life today.....

Regular

This week I got a call from one of my horse trader friends and he had a starved horse and wanted to know if I would take it. He knew I had been looking for a babysitter type horse for our non horsey friends.....well this was not what I had in mind....me and my teenage kids go out to his place to look and oh my gosh this horse is starving and a bag of bones!!!! We went home got the trailer and loaded him up. He loaded and unloaded great thank goodness because it would not take much for this big old guy to collapse. His teeth look okay and so do his feet. He has lice and is just kinda matted. His poop is good and he is drinking and peeing...we have some green grass not a lot and he is eating it. He layed down and got back up. He has some fly bites around his feet and he has lice!!!!! I called the vet and he said to let him have coastal hay and fresh water for a week then he will be out to see him. I sure hope we can bring him out of it as he has taken all our hearts...we named him shining star....I am sure the Sheriff will be out when people call but they will see our horses in the back and know what we are doing, I hope....any suggestions on getting his health back would be appreciated. I know the refeeding must be slow...Just pray we can help our Shing Star...
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-03-14 9:39 PM (#79601 - in reply to #79600)
Subject: RE: We saved a life today.....

Elite Veteran

Good for you!!!! I would not allow the horse to graze...until the Vet looks at him. I would feed him small hay meals...slowly increasing the hay amount, you need to get his body used to eating again. Offer him clean fresh water. You may want to get a Panacure deworm. Here's a good link for feeding a starved horsehttp://www.completerider.com/nutrition.htmThanks for taking this poor horse into your home and heart.
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-03-14 10:16 PM (#79602 - in reply to #79600)

Extreme Veteran

I got my App from a rescue several years ago and he too was a bag of bones.  Kept him away from other horses for at least 3 weeks.  Had to do a high dose d-worm for 5 days.  Had to give him blood builder (Lixotinic) for 2 to 3 weeks.  (Maybe longer I can't exactly remember just how long.) Of course, all this was done under Vet advice.  I used a weight gain powder once I started feeding grain/slow at first.   It took about 2 to 3 months for him to have a noticable difference in his apperance.  He is a healthy, happy always into something good ole boy now. Good luck to you and Bless you for taking on this horse.
jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2008-03-15 8:37 AM (#79617 - in reply to #79600)

Extreme Veteran

Cindy...

Thunderous applause to you!!!!!

There are good people in the world and you are one of them.  You will be rewarded in the end.  I hope your Shining Star brings you lots of joy. Sounds like you are on the right track with his rehabilitation.

cindydj
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-03-15 8:54 AM (#79618 - in reply to #79600)

Regular

Thanks ya'll. Star seems to be doing well this morning he is grazing and moving around. My friend has had him on a pasture for a few weeks maybe even a month that had fresh grass comming on and a nice running creek, so he had already had this for atleast a few weeks. I just need to get the lice off him, I sprayed our fly spray in has killed alot of them but he still has lots more. Today I am going to dust him good.
acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2008-03-15 12:47 PM (#79625 - in reply to #79600)

Extreme Veteran

That was so kind of you to take this horse.  poor thing.. do you know his history?  Be careful giving dewormer since he's already in a debilitated state you may have to give 1/2 doses for a while.  see what your DVM recommends.  soaked beet pulp will help get the wt. back on him too.  GOOD LUCK! 
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-03-15 4:22 PM (#79629 - in reply to #79625)

Expert

I'm with acy, be very careful giving wormers to a weak/starved horse...you know he's infested.  A massive kill could be too much for him.  Follow your vet's instructions and watch him like a hawk.

As for the lice, flea and tick shampoo will help with this problem but you'll need many applications and try clipping his leg hair to reduce hiding spots for the little buggers.  Bathing him in Iodine shampoo is also good as it will kill other things living on his skin, and yes you'd feel horrible if another member of your herd caught something from the new kid.

I took in a starving cow and can tell you working with them while they are semi-weak is best.  Teach him to stand tied/lead/pick-up his feet etc. BEFORE he gains his strength and can put up a fight!

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-03-15 5:03 PM (#79631 - in reply to #79600)

Expert

A new coggins test would also be in order when the vet sees him...
cindydj
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-03-15 8:57 PM (#79637 - in reply to #79600)

Regular

He is still doing good after speaking to many rescue people and friends we gave him about 1/2 c Sr. feed and some steamed oats. He lapped it right up....it was so hard to not give him more but I know we must go very slow....my vet thinks I can worm him now but I am really scared to....We got some dog shampoee but the wind was really cool so I didn't bathe him today. The spray killed a lot of the bugs but he needs a bath. He is very well mannered I understand he is very doscile due to his nutrition but when I put a halter on him he drops his head into it, stands tied picks up his feet and only moved a little when we cleaned his sheath. He will stop with a loud whoa....He has saddle spots so he has been ridden. He has high withers but not sway back from his teeth he appears to be about 14-15 years old. He has a cloudy eye but he can still out of it.....And we have no information on him other what we see...Ic an tell you this, it is ery rewarding to be able to help him. This has brought me tears a few times and I just hope everything keeps going well...

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-03-16 3:34 PM (#79670 - in reply to #79600)

Expert

Good job Cindy. Your consideration and generosity are an inspiration to all of us, who greatly admire your efforts. The world is a better place because of people like you.

BOL  Gard

Edited by gard 2008-03-16 7:25 PM
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-03-16 5:15 PM (#79677 - in reply to #79670)

Expert

your kindness will come back to too times ,what goes around comes around you are a hero
Linda Y
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-03-17 8:23 PM (#79755 - in reply to #79600)

Extreme Veteran

Good for you!! 51
There is a lice dust you can put on him. It will trickle it's way down his body and kill the little stinkers. That will help until it is warm enough to give him a good bath.
Best of luck...bet he makes a good horse.
cindydj
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-03-19 10:25 AM (#79889 - in reply to #79600)

Regular

It was warm over the weekend and we bathed him and OH MY GOSH he is covered in lice......I mean thousands. My son and I felt like we had bugs on us all evening...LOL! I know he still has lice in his mane and every where I am sure but there was tons of dead ones so we did some good. I will bathe him again in 10 days. He is eating good and seems to be doing really well. He seems to become more perky each day. We were seeding the pasture and the other horses were running along with s and he could see them and he would just whinny to them...and he perks his ears up and comes up to us when we go out there....I just can not wait to see what this guy really is...... 

If I knew how to post pictures I would because you can not believe how thin this poor guy is....

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-03-19 10:41 AM (#79894 - in reply to #79637)

Expert

My old mare was emaciated and very close to death when I got her.  She was too weak to stand and her teeth we so bad they were falling out.  We gave her free choice hay but she couldn't eat it so she is on a sr. feed.  We started like you were told and now she is up to 10lbs daily.  Here in the last 2 years she is now able to pick the leaves out of alfalfa and eat them.  She still can't eat the stems or hay unless it is extremely fine stemmed.

The first time we wormed my old girl we used a 1/4 dose.  For a month once a week we dosed at 1/4, then the next month we dosed at a 1/2 then the next 3/4 then the fourth month a full dose.  Each month using a different type of wormer.  My vet only gave her a 10% chance of survival and said if I gave her a full dose she would most likely colic and as weak as she was she wouldn't survive.    We tested and scoped her and so we knew she was full of worms.  Her intestines are in horrible shape because of them!  Her droppings look like cow patties.  Even after 5 years, and she must be wormed every month or she starts going off her feed, she can't stand any type of wormload so watch your guy for similar problems.

cindydj
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-03-19 1:21 PM (#79906 - in reply to #79600)

Regular

Wow, Terri that is great. Thanks for the wormer information. I have wormed him with ivermectin for a 500# dose.

I would say his body score is a 1 but for that I guess he is in pretty good shape. His teeth are not loose and he eats good doesn't drop very much food and he eats hay good and his hooves are not bad. I just wish I had an idea how long this will take...I guess the mom in me comes out and I just want him to be better. I know it is going to be along time though.

It sure makes you feel good to see him get perky whenhe sees the food coming....

It is just sad to think there are horses eerywhere just like him, starving...

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-03-19 6:34 PM (#79924 - in reply to #79906)

Expert

I'd have put my mares score at a .25.

Your horse doesn't sound as bad as my mare so hopefully he won't take very long to be fat and healthy again.  How old is your guy?  My mare was estimated to be 16 when I got her but her teeth were so bad that she could be much older or much younger.   I've had her for 5 years now.  She isn't fat enough to make me happy but I (and my vet) think she is as fat as she will ever be, but she is healthy again.   You can still see the very top of her hip bones and there is a 'hollow' along her spine.  I use a special saddle pad on her so the saddle fits right.  My husband 'complains' that I spend to much on her because she takes so much work but it's paid off.  She is a great childs horse and is very mistrusting of strangers so I don't have to worry about someone approaching or pulling my daughter off her while we are out riding.  I've told my daughter that if anything ever happens just to hold on to her mare and she will take her home.  This mare has a built in GPS.  She ALWAYS knows where home (or the trailer) is.

Edited by Terri 2008-03-19 6:36 PM
gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2008-03-19 11:14 PM (#79945 - in reply to #79600)

Extreme Veteran

You're an angel... Especially to this horse! When I get the time/money/space I'd like to get a rehab project to help out those who need it. Right now I have too many of my own oldsters acting as pasture ornaments (hubby calls them less flattering names), so it'll have to wait. I do have a question though: I've never heard of a horse getting lice. Is that something that is prevalent in certain areas of the country? Or are they feeding on already compromised, unhealthy horses? Just wondering. It's been "bugging" me all afternoon since I read your post. Thanks, and good luck with your new horse!
Laynie
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-03-20 3:57 PM (#79990 - in reply to #79600)

Once you get rid of all the lice, you may see a huge improvement.  They are blood suckers and if he had that many, well you know, kinda like a dog can die from too many fleas and ticks.  Good luck and God bless you!
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-03-20 8:38 PM (#80005 - in reply to #79600)

Extreme Veteran

It will take about a year for your horse to come around.  Don't expect it overnight and don't try to make it happen over night.  First horse wife and I got together was a rescue horse. We had him for about a year, got him in decent shape, and gave him away. As soon as we got him eating good and in better shape he turned into a psycho horse from.  Well, you get the picture. Poor fellars mind was just gone, he must of been severly abused also.  We gave him away to someone that would take care of him and even told them everything we knew about him as far as attitude and such. Sorry, but we won't do it again. Hope you have better luck then we did.

cindydj
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-03-21 11:12 AM (#80048 - in reply to #79600)

Regular

Spooler that is my biggest fear that he will get fat and be the horse from H--L! But I have a real good feeling about this guy.

From his teeth I think he is around 14-15 years. I am in Texas and we don't see many horses with lice unless they are in with the cattle. My thoughts are his system was weak and he got the lice and has just gone down from there. That many can drain a system very fast. Good news is we see no more live ones just eggs....YUK!!!! I hate those little critters too!!!I was so glad we got him when we did because we had a little cold spell with lots of rain and I really don't think he would have made it throught it.

It has been a week today and he is sure getting more pep each day. He paced the pen with his head over the gate this morning....

I don't think I have told ya'll the rest of the story.....this horse trader wanted to sell this horse for $300. I threw a fit and got him out of there for $175, I would have paid the $300 if would of had too! Some of these guys make me so mad....

I wish everyone could do this....

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-03-21 6:15 PM (#80078 - in reply to #80048)

Expert

Not all of them become the horse from heck, but many have lots of trust issues.  My 6yr old is riding my old mare, she started riding her a year ago at 5.  BUT you can't put a stranger on her, she acts really stupid if you try.  You also have to approach her shoulder or hip and can't look directly at her when you approach or she will run away.  Hopefully your guy still has his "sanity".    If he does when he learns to trust you he'll be great. 
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-03-21 7:07 PM (#80082 - in reply to #79600)

Extreme Veteran

My little rescue horse has a "puppy" dog personality. I too worried that once he started get regular groceries, he would change. He is not perfect by any means but he is NOT a horse from "H__L". He can be a tiny bit aggressive come feed time but I guess that is understandable since he was starved as a youngster. Just today my riding friend said that my horse has more personaltiy than should be allowed. (She meant that in a good way.) I wish you much luck with your fella and again good for you!
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-03-21 9:24 PM (#80097 - in reply to #79600)

Extreme Veteran

Spend the time with him while he is weak. Make him mind.  Don't let him get away with things because you feel bad. And, don't be heavy handed.  I can guarantee he will be a very sensitive horse.  Won't take much to hurt his feelings. Give him a fair shake on it.  He may be a very good horse and love you to death. I just didn't have that luck, but we tried. Good luck to ya.

Oh yeah, be on time with his feed at a regular schedule for a while. Then feed him early and late.  He will learn you will always be there to feed him and to be patient.

Edited by Spooler 2008-03-21 9:29 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)