'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Blade wash - what's in it?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-03-06 11:01 AM
7 replies, 5673 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Towfoo
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-03-05 7:51 AM (#78686)
Subject: Blade wash - what's in it?

Veteran

Okay, I just got some Oster Turbo A5 clippers and have found an abundant supply of horse owners willing to let me practice on their horses (whoda thunk it?? ). The instructions say to periodically wash the blades with Oster Blade Wash solution. Anybody know what's in the blade wash stuff? Is it alcohol or detergent, or???

Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
notfromtexas
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-03-05 8:46 AM (#78691 - in reply to #78686)
Subject: RE: Blade wash - what's in it?

Veteran

Not sure what exactly is in Blade Wash,  but it is important to use.  It will get the dirt and fine hairs out of your blades that will cause uneven cutting, wear down the blade, and cause the motor to work harder.  It will also disinfect your clippers if you use them on any area with fungus! Just pour some in a bowl, dip your clipper blades in while running, turn off and wipe off, continue.  Another tip-work on a clean animal if possible, dirt RUINS your equipment.  Get a few extra blades so that you can switch them as they become hot-I don't like to use Kool Lube or anything like it b/c it can also dull your blades, and the blades will become very hot.  I currently work as a dog groomer, so you can pm me if you have any other questions related to clippers.
Towfoo
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-03-05 11:11 AM (#78710 - in reply to #78691)

Veteran

Thanks, I'll be sure to rince the clipper blades in a wash while clipping. I did buy extra blades, too, so I should be all set.

I think I found out what's in the Oster stuff. It's 90-95% kerosene and 5-10% mineral oil, according to this:

http://grooming.petedge.com/assets/product_files/pdf/OS211231.pdf

TPenning
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-03-05 11:37 AM (#78716 - in reply to #78686)

Veteran

Well, I just went looking for my Blade Wash can to see if there was a label, but came up empty.  Kerosene and mineral oil is probably right, judging by the smell, which is not totally unpleasant.

I've never clipped my horse with the big clippers, but plan to give it a whirl this year.  I also used to clip dogs, so that's what the clippers were for.  Definitely buy the blade wash, it's a must, your blades will be better for it.  I also had a "blade caddy" with slots for holding the blades, and I used to keep some blade wash in it so they blades were permanently stored in it.  When I needed one, I took the blade apart, wiped it clean and added a small dot of oil, and voila!  However, I also used the Kool Lube, and I think it's great, as blades do get hot, and they run better with a shot of that stuff.  Spray it on while the clippers are running, and you can hear the difference.  I never noticed the blades dulling particularly fast because of it, but I also had back up blades I could switch too.

I'd recommend washing the blades between horses, at the very least.

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-03-05 12:48 PM (#78722 - in reply to #78686)

Expert

For storing blades it's good to use oil soaked rags and wrap your blades up then insert into plastic bags.  This keeps the blades from rusting and breaking teeth by banging into each other.  (Writing the blade size on the baggie helps too)

As for blade wash, I use a lubricant and disinfectant found at Sally beauty supply in a small bowl.  I also use an old paintbrush to help get hair out of the blades and a quick blast of air from the compressor.

Here is a product similar to what I use but I can't seem to find it at Sally's now.  Get the jar and just dunk!

http://www.petagree.net/ord_clippers_maint_wahl_h42.html

Here's what I use H-42 and it's mucho cheaper than Oster products and lasts forever.

http://www.norvabarbersupply.com/disinfectants_lubricants_sanitizers.php

Edited by huntseat 2008-03-05 1:04 PM
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-03-05 6:42 PM (#78746 - in reply to #78686)

Elite Veteran

When I use the clipmasters I use straight kerosene.
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-03-06 8:31 AM (#78784 - in reply to #78686)

Elite Veteran

My vet always used diesel-had the kerosene for cleaning and the oil to lubricate. He swore by it.
Towfoo
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-03-06 11:01 AM (#78797 - in reply to #78784)

Veteran

That's exactly what I was thinking, rinse them in diesel with a little baby oil mixed in there. Maybe hit them with an occasional shot of WD-40. Should be good to go.

I looked at the MSDS for several of the blade cooling fluids and they were mostly alcohol (ethanol or isopropanol) with some other high-evaporative things added in. I guess the quick evaporation cools the metal. I think I'll just let them cool off periodically.

BTW, here's a pretty good site for looking at the MSDS sheets for various clipper blade products:

http://www.northerntails.com/msdssbyproduct.html

Edited by Towfoo 2008-03-06 11:02 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World