'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Microwave??

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-01-30 8:42 PM
5 replies, 3497 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-01-27 4:43 PM (#75391)
Subject: Microwave??

Charter Member

So far, I have been able to find pre-built cabinets to all of my spaces except the 15h x 20w x 12d space above my microwave. Then I started thinking about it and I don't know the first thing about attempting to mount a microwave. I did design the space for it so there would be sufficient room above/below/beside it to allow it to get sufficient ventilation.

That being said, the space allotted could also be filled with two 'wall' cabinets and the microwave could just sit inside the lower portion of one of those and I could arrange it so that it doesn't move, shift, etc during transportation.

Would this be okay? I know it sounds a little less professional, but it also seems like it could work and in reality, I may or may not make a lot of use of the microwave and that storage space could become more important to me (I honestly can live off snack packs of fruit and cold sandwiches for weeks at a time so not being able to cook something while gone for a long weekend really wouldn't kill me).

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-01-27 6:38 PM (#75398 - in reply to #75391)
Subject: RE: Microwave??

Extreme Veteran

The only problem I see with having it in a cabinet is that you'll want to have the door open while using it. I doubt that's much of a problem since a microwave is rarely used for more than 4-5 minutes at a time.

Just thinking out loud here..... how about the full size cabinet with one of the short cabinet doors on it so there is no door in front of the microwave. Microwave on the bottom, shelf above micro with a door covering the shelf part. Don't know about finding a door for that but it seems you might be able to.
Paints
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2008-01-27 9:56 PM (#75418 - in reply to #75391)

Veteran

Our first Sundowner had microwave already installed in it.Was just in open canbinet no door covering it at all.I was always worried might move around on long trips/traveling hills etc.Our newest Sundowner has microwave hidden in cabinet and use it alot with no problems at all.I usually store misc food items in there while traveling chips/bread things might get smashed in cupboards.
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2008-01-28 8:36 AM (#75426 - in reply to #75391)

Extreme Veteran

Mandy/Abby - Like you, I thought I didn't really need the microwave.  However, once we put it in, I find I use it all the time.  We so some riding in cooler weather and being able to heat water for hot chocolate and instant oatmeal is really nice.  Not to mention a piping hot bowl of chili or beans after a long ride.

I like Greyhorse's idea about the tall cabinet with a short door.  Maybe there is someone close to you who does woodworking and could modify the door to fit like you want it.

Personally, my "cabinets" don't have any doors.  They are just shelves with a high lip to keep things from sliding out.  I use clear plastic containers to organize all the stuff.  One for spoons and bowls and such...One for snacks...And so on.

I think you will find that having the microwave will be well worth the trouble.

RIDE ON! 

Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-01-28 8:39 AM (#75427 - in reply to #75391)

Charter Member

Great idea about the smaller cabinet door. I'm going to check into that.
Linda Y
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-01-30 8:42 PM (#75671 - in reply to #75391)

Extreme Veteran

My trailer had a cabinet in it that was JUST the right size for a microwave to fit it...with just a little adjustment. I raised the shelf and cut off half the door, then routed the cut bottom of the door to match the original sides.
There is a little lip on the front, but I don't trust the microwave not to take a flying leap, so I put a bungee cord across the front of it to hold it in.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)