'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Sundowner going to All-Aluminum?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-03-17 9:06 AM
17 replies, 11044 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

driver
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2008-01-24 8:46 PM (#75247)
Subject: Sundowner going to All-Aluminum?

After months of agonizing over the merits of allaluminum vs. steel-framed/aluminum skinned trailers, I have just learned that Sundowner is going to replace the 727 series trailers with all-alminum models. This news was mentioned as a positive, even though the salesman had been trying to convince me all along that the steel-framed models (used to be called the Valuelite) were as good or better than the all-aluminum trailers. I cannot help but wonder why the company would make the change, and what happens to the value to all the steel framed trailers out there?

Any thoughts?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-01-24 11:19 PM (#75260 - in reply to #75247)
Subject: RE: Sundowner going to All-Aluminum?

Expert

The merits of steel vs aluminum has been debated for some time. It boils down to where you live being an important factor in how well the trailer performs.

If you live in the rust belt as I do, the smile on your face from a lower purchase price of a steel trailer, quickly is erased as rust problems soon become a way of life. Constant maintenance, lower resale values and shorter life spans are the norm. In my area, the steel trailers of most brands are given a poor reputation as a result.

If your residence is in a dry arid environment, the steel lasts well, has few issues, is less expensive and is held in good regard.

The aluminum will work universally in both areas, the steel doesn't. Much is made about the structural strength of aluminum, being weak and more brittle etc. Most of this "information" comes from the sellers/manufacturers of steel trailers. The facts speak for themselves; thousands of aluminum trailers are in the hands of owners who use them daily, in every place by people of every walk of life. This has been going on for almost two decades. For every naysayer of aluminum, an equal amount can be found against steel. Most people who have a steel trailer wish they could own an aluminum trailer.

Take a look at a twenty year old aluminum trailer, that has just had its original shell cleaned and looks like new. Compare it to a steel trailer of the same age. Compare the integrity of its "weak" frame to the steel frame.

Equate the resale values of an aluminum trailer to a steel trailer. Some used ones have sold for more than their original purchase price. Check the "trailer for sale" section of HTW, and look at the condition, value and age of the various trailers being sold. You will quickly discover how valuable the ownership of an aluminum trailer has become.

I live in the rust belt, and last year I sold my steel trailer. It was a good one; it lasted many years and never let me down. A few years ago I had to completely repaint it to save it. Had I not done so, it literally would have gone to ruin. I replaced it with a used aluminum trailer that was several years old and literally could have been put on a dealer's lot and sold as new. I consider my aluminum trailers a lifetime investment, something I would have never contemplated with a steel trailer.

As an aside, a good friend of ours bought a new steel frame, aluminum skinned trailer. There was surface rust on the frame upon delivery. Within two years, the frame had active rust to the point where repairs had to be made to save the trailer. Initially our friend was gloating because she didn't have to spend as much for her new trailer, as we did on our first used aluminum trailer. She is now considering a new trailer, and with her present trailer being worth less than the payments still owed, she is in a tough spot financially.

When you are in business, your product has to be equal to or better than the opposition. Regardless of your claims to the contrary, if your competitor has a better product and sells more than you are, you will change to stay in business.

I try to express both sides of a story, and not take sides, to let the reader make an informed decision. I've been on both sides of this fence and well know, which side I prefer.

BOL  Gard

Edited by gard 2008-01-24 11:33 PM
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-01-25 6:54 AM (#75262 - in reply to #75247)

Expert

Gard pretty much sums it up. This debate is just like 4x4 vs 4x2, or long bed vs short bed.............either you need (want) aluminum or you dont. On this side of SC aluminum trailers are technically a waste of money, plenty of 20 year old (even poorly cared for) steel trailers running around down here.......and I suspect with the increased use of galvaneal (sp?) sheet metal those numbers will go up over the next few decades. BUT ask guys from the rust belt and coast lines, and a 2 year old steel trailer is doing good.   Why would you even begin to care what the salesman was telling you?  If I lived in NH my trailer would be "all" aluminum, end of story.

Edited by chadsalt 2008-01-25 8:32 AM
mseyle
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2008-01-25 7:35 AM (#75264 - in reply to #75247)

I don't think aluminum trailers are a waste in SC as I live along the coast and I have owned both steel and aluminum. I do however prefer the aluminum over steel and currently own aluminum. This is my opinion and in no way knocking either type.

Hondarosa, Wadmalaw Island SC

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-01-25 8:31 AM (#75265 - in reply to #75264)

Expert

Originally written by mseyle on 2008-01-25 7:35 AM

I don't think aluminum trailers are a waste in SC as I live along the coast and I have owned both steel and aluminum. I do however prefer the aluminum over steel and currently own aluminum. This is my opinion and in no way knocking either type.

Hondarosa, Wadmalaw Island SC

Fair enough. I will edit my post to say this side of SC. And include coast lines with rust belt.

3yrHitch2Bumper
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-01-25 8:31 AM (#75266 - in reply to #75247)

Regular

Ya know it is kinda funny, reading these posts.....for years now people have put Sundowner down for building a steel superstructure trailer and not being "all aluminum"..."as if there really is such a a thing on the market,there is steel somewhere"...and now the news comes out that yes, Sundowner is in fact going to a "all aluminum" trailer, and people still want to put the Orange Oval down and question the "value" of the steel superstructure trailers out on the road today..........WELL...do not forget, that even on this board, it has been discussed how Sundowner stands behind the product that they put out...and that the 8 year structual warranty is one of the best in the industry...SO, how can this fantastic move by Sundowner really hurt when they are going to stand behind the product just like they have thru all these years ???....I have seen the new product and it is very nice...Sundowner is proud to offer this new product to the public and do it with little to no price increase....I myself think it is a great move and it should boost sales of the normal 3H GN...2H BP etc,etc......The future is now ,and Sundowner continues to be one of the few manufactures who have their eye on it when it comes to business and bettering the product that they offer to the public....Just look at the Luxury Liner, need I say more......I guess when you are one of the best, you are always under the microscope....
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-01-25 8:33 AM (#75267 - in reply to #75247)

Expert

I think this will come down to a business decision on Sundowners part.

As a manufacture, they have to inventory material to build their product. They have to train workers to weld both steel and alumninum.

At some point they have to decide if it's worth it to them to have two product lines. Two ad campaigns, spare parts for both product lines etc.

Sundowners decision to go all aluminum, is not a statement that they don't feel their Valueline was a good product. But rather a business decision that they could streamline their opperation toward a product line that either had better sales or higher profit margin.

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-01-25 8:49 AM (#75270 - in reply to #75247)

Elite Veteran

I'm guessing the decision had more to do with supply and demand than whether aluminum or steel makes a better frame.  Any retail manufacturer will build what sells, and right now, that's aluminum.

Duckman
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-01-25 9:28 AM (#75274 - in reply to #75247)

Veteran

Sundowner has always built very high quality "all aluminun" trailers, but they were always over priced to their competition. I wonder how this will effect their dealers that have large inventories of steel framed trailers, if the new all aluminum trailers are the same price???
SouthernDiamond
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-01-25 10:55 AM (#75279 - in reply to #75247)

New User

I don't post alot on here but read it every day. I own a steel horse trailer company and I know from past present and future employees it is hard to teach someone to weld (when they have no desire to) I have thought long and hard about doing aluminum skin trailer's. There is a TON of money in it but trying to teach some one another skill makes me sick to my stomach..... . Sundowner is so big that I think that they can build a million different styles of trailer's and never have to worry. The have a good product and do stand behind it which is a lot more than you can say about alot of these trailer manufacturing companies out there (myself excluded!!)
Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-01-25 3:28 PM (#75290 - in reply to #75247)

Extreme Veteran

I think this is a good thread in which to point out that several brands of steel framed trailers use galvaneal, not just milled steel.  The use of galvaneal has drastically reduced the worries about rust.  One brand made the change in the 90's, and you can tell at first glance which side of the change that trailer was born on.  The automotive industry begain using galvaneal even earlier, and even though many body parts are fiberglass or plastic now, the steel being used does not rust.  Further, the high end galvaneal framed, aluminun skinned brands all use stainless hardware and fasteners, and you won't see any more rust than you see on the all aluminum units, just an occasional screw or fastener that didn't get coated correctly.  The steel wheels on both types are the biggest offenders where rust is concerned.

Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-01-27 1:31 AM (#75356 - in reply to #75247)

Extreme Veteran

Buy what you like and can afford.  After one steel trailer that was only 4 years old and starting to rust perty good I knew I didn't want another one of those. We bought that trailer used and only keep it about a year. A friend has a galvaneal and it is rusting also it just take a little while longer to get started. I do live by the coast so that is perty much the determining factor. Out west you may do O.K. No way in the world would I want a LQ trailer that had alot of steel.  Aluminum trailers do have steel. It is used on the hitch frame and for the axle undercarrage. If you want to know how steel trailers are making out in your area just ask someone who has one or is selling one. You will be able to see real quick how they hold up in your area.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-01-27 9:06 PM (#75416 - in reply to #75290)

Expert

QUOTE]Originally written by Kay on 2008-01-25 4:28 PM

"The use of galvaneal has drastically reduced the worries about rust.  The automotive industry begain using galvaneal, the steel being used does not rust.  Further, the high end galvaneal framed, aluminun skinned brands.... , you won't see any more rust than you see on the all aluminum units."

Galvanized steel has been around for a century. It is more refined now than when first introduced, but the steel is still dependent on a coating to be protected from the elements. Steel does rust, whenever its protective coating is damaged or worn, it will start the oxidation process.

To say that you will not see any rust on a galvanealed trailer is a misconception, and proof is no further than a look at the trailers being used in our part of the country. At any show I attend this summer, there will be numerous examples of various trailer brands that should not have rusted, but have and will continue to do so.

Much has been mentioned by a most biased self promoter of a particular brand of trailer, about the impressive warranty of that trailer. Why on earth would I want to purchase any trailer of any brand, knowing full well in advance, that I was going to encounter a rotted frame? It certainly would not be worth my loss of time and the inconvenience of the repairs, to purchase a defective trailer. It would not be in my best interest to purchase anything, in which I will be encountering a major fault. Instead, I chose aluminum competitors that have no such issues and costs less to boot.

BOL  Gard

barntoys4mom
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-01-28 11:34 AM (#75442 - in reply to #75247)

Veteran

Sundowner has had "All-Aluminum" for well over 15 years ~ I personally owned one that long ago. They are called Sundowner Sunlites. They do have steel only in the front under the noise and wheel areas. Both of mine are excellent trailers and I wouldn''t have anything else. But mind you, I only have an 18 foot trailer (two horse slant with 8 foot longwall dressing room). They are more expesive than the Value lite, but don't have the upkeep. And as a bonus, you don't need a one ton truck to pull it! Good luck!

Chilly
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-03-16 1:52 PM (#79659 - in reply to #75247)

New User

I am bringing this post up again because I am in the process of getting a different trailer. Selling my heavy living quarters and going for a 3 horse stock/combo with tack room type trailer. I'm looking at a 4 Star or a steel trailer. Having a hard time choosing between the two. Hearing pros and cons on both. Mostly the pros of the the steel seem to come from those who sell steel. Does anyone have any comment on if they steel or aluminum models are hotter? The aluminum trailer I have now is VERY hot, but I've heard this complaint from others with the same brand. It does have SIX vents in the top, nothing seems to help with this brand. It's not the 4Star that I'm looking at.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-03-16 5:41 PM (#79681 - in reply to #79659)

Expert

I'm not going to get into all of the technicalities of steelvs aluminum vs gavaneal,I have both types of trailers,have had a bunch of steel trailers,and they've all been in good shape,but,I live in a good area for steel trailers.

I will just say this: if I were looking at 2 trailers,and one was steel,and the other a 4Star aluminum,and the cost between the two was no factor to me,I know which one I'D take: the 4 Star.

RollinPonies
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-03-17 8:51 AM (#79720 - in reply to #75247)

Veteran

Is GMC going to start making aluminum frames for trucks so that they don't rust out?

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-03-17 9:06 AM (#79722 - in reply to #75247)

Expert

According to a previous posting, new vehicles have no rust issues. So it's a moot point.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)